Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Just my portfolio/website

Hedhunta
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Hedhunta polycounter lvl 18
Basically just going for simplicity, everything on one page, miniature thumbnails that open up into bigger pictures. Comments/crits welcome on the site and content as well i suppose.

http://www.pc-repairzone.com/portfolio

was just going for a simple straightforward approach. i tryed making something extremely complex and could never pull it off without it looking terrible.

Replies

• MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Not bad.

I'd get more of your work textured - a portfolio half-full of matte grey gun models is not doing you any favours.

I don't really like the font with your name, and there's generally just too much grey. The whole site is grey, so my eye is drawn to the bright green-on-black hit counter at the bottom, rather than any of the (mostly grey) images.

Get some colour on the site - there's a difference between a clean, simple page, and a boring page wink.gif

The vertical thumbnails aren't really working here - I'd prefer to at least have a vague idea of what I'm clicking on - half of those seem to be thumbnails of a trigger, which isn't very informative.

So:

- Bigger, more informative thumbnails.
    - More colour in the site, nicer font.
    - Texture more of your models.
    - Tone down or hide the hit counter completely.

Not bad work in there, just needs a bit more of a personal twist and more interest.

MoP
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    MoP said it well.

Good layout, but what are you? I'd say a world/environment artist. Put the position this portfolio is geared for on the site, under your name.

Use honest thumbnails. If I can't tell what I'm clicking I'm not going to click it.

The top row guns aren't too bad, but need smoothing groups and textures. Your best work is the textured gun models and textured planes. I strongly suggest removing everything else.
  • Hedhunta
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you, exactly the kind of crits i need. will update as i make progress.
  • Hedhunta
    Offline / Send Message
    updated it with some changes, made thumbnails bigger, thinking about extending the name bar to match the table size.
  • Hedhunta
    Offline / Send Message
    should i label the thumbnails? or is the html alt text enough?
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    looks good. In your main image, triangle count and texture sheet sizes could be enough. Might want to put your portfolio URL on the image. If someone saves your art and passes it around they can still find you.

And because I'm such a bitch, remove those sketches! laugh.gif

real good, fast clean up job there.
  • Hedhunta
    Offline / Send Message
    im assuming because the sketches have nothing to do with the rest of the site... hehe, am also planning on finishing up some of the rest of the stuff so i have more content.