Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Krueg, UT2004 character model

KevinCoyle
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
KevinCoyle polycounter lvl 18
Hey everyone, it's been a little while since I've posted here, seen alot of great work here though.

I'm working on a new character model. He's sort of a mercanary/warrior guy, he's the brother of Lugor , a character model I made a while back. Both are for a game project I've been working on and also for UT2004 just for fun. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

You can view the concept sketch here

KruegModel.jpg

Replies

• Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Character looks good. Only crit is that the coat is made from the torso, I'd make it droop more around the body to look like cloth. Since, im not a character guy, is all the fingers necessary for Ut2004? I'd rather see the polys goto into the objects that he's carrying.

The game ure working on? Would you be interested in showing it at the IGDA Indie Developer showcase next month? I'm working with chapter co-ordinator, to allow indie developers in the area can show off what they are working on. We're trying to get a build completed for the event. hehe
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Each joint of the fingers should actually have a second row of verts across the top if you plan to animate them. As for the cloth, if looks like it should be pulled tightly into the belt which means it should be a straight line from the chest to the belt, not follow the contour of the body. A close up of the face would be nice, looks like the chin area is a bit too exaggerated.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, I also think you should rethink how you did the jacket on the upperbody. For one, you modeled the ribcage and pectoral muscles going right through the jacket. Definitely dont need those polys there. Secondly, I cant really imagine it being as form fitting as you have it. Put a few more polys into flairing the jacket out a bit.

Otherwise, it looks really solid.
  • KevinCoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I'll work on the Jacket. As for the hands, for UT2004, the right hand won't be animated, and the left very little. Right now, one half of the body is a mirrored instance of the other, so they're perfectly symetrical. Once I done with the symetrical details, I'll weld the two halfs together and replace the right hand with something more like this guy from UT2004.

Also here is a closeup of the face
    Krueghead.jpg

Lee3dee, I sent a e-mail reply.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    two left boots! wink.gif
  • Laheen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Laheen polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good =)

Lips look a little big/fat for a asian type of person, but thats all I find that is a bit wrong.. (That hasnt been pointed out already ^_^)
  • KevinCoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little update. Changed the coat, tweak some things here and there, added the glove, shrunk the feet a bit, they were pretty large.

KruegModel2.jpg
  • Bloody Vampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bloody Vampire polycounter lvl 18
    Nice and clean mesh, but somehow it looks that he has two left feet.

Edit:

Damn just seen that Hawken have wrote it a few posts ago
  • KevinCoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Almost finished with the model. I worked on the feet a bit, hopefully it's better now. Just a few more tweaks and I'll be ready to texture it.

KruegModel3.jpg
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    Technically it is a very nice model- I can't fault it in any way smile.gif

A few thigns that I would personally try to do is loosen up some of these straight edgeloops that are running through the model- you've got the technical aspect nailed now, go mad and start having fun by playing with making the mesh more assymetrical (the trouser legs could have slightly different profiles due to the wrinkling), the support strap for the shoulder pad might be sagging a bit and the lower part of the shoulder pad might not be completely flush due to the fastenings being not quite the same lengths.

I suppose what I'm saying is that you need to loosen him up some more in order to give him more life and feel more dynamic smile.gif

But beside that, it is a cracking model and I hope I've not come across as being too negative
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Thighs look weak compared to upper body. Something looks weird about the overall picture, but I can't put my finger on it. Can you post front/side/back shots of this model for us to get a better look at?