Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Request for model testing / review

Mooseboy
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mooseboy polycounter lvl 18
I'm hoping to find some experienced folks who have time to look at this model to see if there are problems that will prevent it from functioning. Then I will resolve them as best as I can before releasing it into the wild.

An unusual characteristic about this model is that it flies while running. At a constant elevation, to be sure, but the wings flap ‘n stuff.

Shot00027.jpg
Shot00033.jpg

Things I would like others to scrutinize:
<ul type="square">[*] Can it work on a server?
[*] Texture package: proper LODs, compression, and whatever other settings might be relevant
[*] Mesh properties
[*] Do I have all the critical animation sequences? Some seem optional, like Specific_1 or whatever it’s called, and it’s not clear to me when/how they’re invoked, if ever.
[*] Glaring animation problems
[*] Code problems. There is a lot of code on this, but it is NOT a mod. This works fine with instant action, but I don’t know if I’ve missed important things for network games.
[/list]

Things I can’t fix or change at this point due to lack of time, tools, or skills:
<ul type="square">[*] Lack of rag doll. Maya PLE doesn’t generate files for KAT. frown.gif
[*] rigging
[*] mesh and deformation ugliness
[*] Turning while in place, unless there’s a fairly simple coding solution. The model is Y-up, and I haven’t found a reliable way to detect that the model is turning so that I can substitute rational behavior.
[*] Skin ugliness. I can make simple changes, but I can’t color my way out of a paper bag. I’ve changed the textures seen here to be better.
[/list]

PM me or email me if you're interested and I'll get you the model.

Thanks!

Replies

• CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    send me it here since I love gargs anyway

If you're lucky, maybe Vailias could possibly fix him up.
  • Mooseboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you mean by "here"? Be warned - it'll be a very large package. The utx alone with 4 team color skins zips down to over 8MB
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DXT1-3 texture compression is your friend
  • Mooseboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    DXT1-3 texture compression is your friend

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, and all of them are compressed that way. That's one of the things I was hoping people could help me with. It seems too big, and no texture is over 1Kx1K

When you say "send me it here", where is "here"?

Thanks.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Well, how many and what textures did you use?
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    When you say "send me it here", where is "here"?

[/ QUOTE ]
    polycount messageboard of course
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Cheap: you're gathering an army to overthrow us all....aren't you?! susp.gif
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    8mb? What size are the textures?
    Looking at the amount od detail I think that 256x256 textures for the head and body is more than enough. 8 of those textures with the model itself will make it much smaller than 8mb.
    Or did you add sounds?
    Or does custon animations add a lot to the filesize?
  • Mooseboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR: There are 10 textures at 1Kx1K: 5 sets: 1 normal, 4 team. Each set has a head and a body. The body textures were exported as tga and imported into DXT-1. The head textures have transparency and are 2-sided, so I created 256 color bmp files and imported them into DXT-3. Finally, there's a 256x512 portrait.

lkraan: It's all in the textures - the animations don't add much. No sounds, though I'd like some. I'm having trouble generating a voice commands that don't sound pathetic. Mel Blanc I'm not. 'Course he's dead, so that's probably just as well.

Cheapy: I guess I'm not familiar with the board's capabilities; I don't know how to send to a person "at the message board". PM doesn't appear to allow attachments. I'm arranging for the file to be hosted somewhere that's accessible via http.

Sorry about the hiccups getting this to you. I'm trying, but the combination of dialup and a 10M file makes it hard.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Mooseboy: I may be able to help you with a couple issues. =]

First off, we are running a polycount server that I would be more than happy to throw your model on and see if it works.

Second, if you can find a way to upload that file or get it to me in anyway, I can get it uploaded for you to some decent hosting.
  • Mooseboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I may take you up on that hosting offer if plan A falls apart. And it would be great to have it tested on a server.

Would an email attachment to your polycount address work? (Since I'm on dialup I'm always sensitive to that sort of bandwith issue.)
  • Mooseboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got it on line!

http://www.spookydistance.com/dave/gargPVEa.zip

OK, as if the delay in getting this posted wasn't bad enough, here's another goodie. I'm on vacation and away from a computer starting in about 28 hours. Which means if I've forgotten to put a file in the zip I only have a day to correct it.

Thanks again!
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems the ragdoll only activates if you're ducked. The model installed fine however.

The skin is lacking in definition; remember that a "bump grain" texture overlay won't solve everything, it just bloats the filesize by tons and it's not really pretty, heck there's even purple/green pixel spots in the detail grain, so imo it was blended pretty bad anyway. Try to rely more on edgem muscle definition and skintoning, rather than grain overlays.

Can you release the .3ds/obj/psk for skinners?
  • Mooseboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    > The model installed fine however.
    Good! Thanks for trying it!

> Can you release the .3ds/obj/psk for skinners?
    Those files don't exist because I'm using Maya PLE. It's related to the KAT problem. I don't have the money for full Max or Maya, and I don't do warez, so I'm limited to the tools offered in Maya PLE. PLE's version of ActorX exports directly into UEd; there are no intermediate files.

I can release the UVs and/or one of the .mp files, but the .mp will work only in PLE - as far as I know there are no converter utilities to other formats and the folks at Maya want to keep it that way.
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    No sweat, I will just download it from that link. =]

I will put it up on the server (I hope..) this weekend.
  • Mooseboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, bearkub. I don't really know what happens next when you put it on the server...how does the model actually get tested in that environment? Presumably someone needs to install the model on his/her client, log on as the gargoyle to a server which supports it and then, what? Would someone else need to have it installed on their client in order to see that the player is actually showing up as the gargoyle? That kind of scenario suggests a coordinated testing effort involving the admin and two players. Forgive my ignorance here on how all this works, but my being on dialup means it's not practical to play online.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub runs a ut2k4 server iirc, just ask him to plop that on it
  • Mooseboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm back from vacation. Does anyone have other comments?