Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

High Poly? Low Poly? Over Poly? You Decide

-=Warhead=-
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
-=Warhead=- polycounter lvl 18
uzi2.jpg
83afefb6.jpg

Its 994 Tris, and i don't know if thats good for a gun or what so uhh, you people decide. Feedback please.

Replies

• Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    i don't know about polies but i do know that there is no need for images that large to show off a gun model that simple.
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    Is it good for a gun?
    That seriously depends on many other factors.

There's no set "is this reasonable or not?", I mean for example.. while untextured you can basically 2-3x the polycount to textured, however if you apply a Shader then the actual polycount doesn't matter. Texture Vertices do.

This isn't even starting to take into account what the engine is capable of handling, how well it deals with polygons, textures, how many instances you can expect, will be on-screen with many other models, if it is what sort of models, will they be commonly optimised or will they be rarely seen, etc.?

I'd say worry about getting something that looks good going first. Then optimise it to the engine your working on.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    i think there are too many polys describing the width of the grip, and there are way more polys in the barrel than anywhere else.

but , like Raven says, its more down to how this is meant to be used.

nice work so far though.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
  • Echelon-IV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Echelon-IV polycounter lvl 18
    Well the handle could be more simple. And I'd use those polies to bevel those sharp edges of the gun. smile.gif