Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First model in a LONG time

Dude
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Dude polycounter lvl 18
A spaceship for my friend's psp homebrew game. I'm gonna be makin alot of these, so I want serious crits. Also, the missiles in the last pic are there for size/show only. They won't be there ingame.

FighterPic1.png

FighterPic3.png

FighterPic4.png

Replies

• Etienne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Etienne polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like something from BattleStar Gallactica.

wink.gif

I like the look.

Etienne
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Could we get a look at your texture flat? It looks like it could use some tweakege.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Yikes, the uvs are really stretched around the wings

• Dude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude polycounter lvl 18
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I'd get rid of that pattern, looks too much like Total Annihilation.
  • Dude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude polycounter lvl 18
    Any suggestions on what would make a better panel overlay? Because the guy doing the code wants that pattern to stay.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Personally, unless this game is for model aircrafts, then I would suggest shrinking those screwheads. If that was a full sized plane, it would take 5 guys to hold the screwdriver unscrew them wink.gif

Also, using the screwheads makes it really obvious that there is some stretching on the nose of the plane. Otherwise I think you might be able to get away with the UV stretching there. I'd fix the stretching on the front of those weapons though.
  • Dude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude polycounter lvl 18
    Here's what I have now

Clicky-clicky for image

I touched up the uv coords on the stabilizers, but I couldn't think of a way to redo the front of the fuselage without killing my texture map. I also darkened the image and added a little detail.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's too busy now with all the metal plates and folds. Makes it look scratched up and dirty. Also the metal plate detail doesn't really make a lot of sense. Normally plates and details like that server a purpose, such as a hatch or where two sheets of metal need to be fitted together. Normally unless an aircraft is very home brew they want the outside surface of a craft to be smooth. It depends on the craft I guess? Anything that is space only it is ok to have a "bumpy as hell hull" like some star destoryer from starwars. Anything that flies in the sky or sails in water needs a smooth hull. Normally this carries over to space crafts also, as some of them do all of the above.

I would make the details on the skin less chaotic and have more purpose. I would also make the texture details blend into the design and not in weird places. You have shadows on some of the plates, but there are no highlights?

Also there seems to be enough open space on the texture flat to unwrap the edges of the things sticking out of the wings.

Lastly, shipbuilder space craft and otherwise, normally use rivets not screws to secure the outer skin of their craft. Screws have a chance of working their way loose, Rivets also expand in the hole and hold the metal together better. The pic below has a few examples of tight and loose rivets. When you have massive amounts of air/water/whatever looking for a way to breach the hull you really don't want to give it a mm to work with. Rivets now-a-days are next to invisible.

Ref that might help:
    journey_airplane-wing.jpg
    Ref_01
    Ref_02
    Ref_03
    Ref_04

http://www.aviation-art.net/
    Is a good place to get ideas for aircraft details.
  • Dude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the tips/ref vig, I toned down the random patterns ALOT, and added more specific details, including some subtle rivets. I'm still probably going to use the rough chaotic version for the game, because the coder likes that one alot, but I did this one to try out those tips you gave me.

Fighterblue.png
    Fighterblue2.png
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    That looks much better. A little to shiney at the front edges for my taste, but a big improvement. The shine makes it look plastic though...I'd tone it down some.
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    i dont know how well your gonna be able to see the detial like that in game. Im thinking less fine detail and more contrast ( i think thats the word im lookin for).

I dont want to sound cliche but perhaps some wear and tear would fit nicely.

I love homebrew, and this would be perfectly suitible for a home project, but i wanna encourage more texture developement on this guy.

lemme know more about the project though )
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    You're going to lose a lot of that deatil when you drop this thing on the PSP. Unless its very large on screen its going to blur out of existance, particularly given how ridiculously huge your texture map is. First thing I'd do is hack your texture down to 128*128 at the absolute most. Large textures will blur nastily on the PSP. From there, sharpen up the detail you really want to keep and ditch the rest.