Home General Discussion

Importance of app for industry modelling?

Mongrelman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
Hi, I was wondering how important it is (for modellers) to be very proficient with whatever program is specified by a hiring company. If all you are doing is modelling and you produce great works with, for example, silo and zbrush, but you can use 3DS Max well (which is what the company specifies)is that a big problem?

I would have thought that all that would be required is importing your work to the specified app, which seems straightforward in most cases nowadays given most import and export the main file types.

Would it be very difficult in most cases to get hired if you model in a different program than that specified by the company?

Replies

• skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    I'd atleast get familiar with the program you know they mainly use. That way they can see by your portfolio that you can definately model well. Even though you modeled in silo you atleast are knowledgable of lets say Max... they shouldn't mind much. Honestly learning to model in another program isn't hard... the principles are still the same, you just have to get use to the new interface. And most companies seem to know this.

As for importing and exporting. The main reason companies stick to certain programs is because of the set workflow already estrablished and the compatability... also because they're not gonna spend a shitload of money for every modeling program out there... one of the reasons I sadly see many companies around me still mainly using MAX... its just too expensive of a program... most companies would rather go for cheaper ones like XSI and Maya (I'm not saying they're not good, so lets not turn this into a software war).
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    First and foremost, if your work is hot, it doesn't matter. Unless the company is in a tight spot and they can't afford to spend time training you on their app (they'll usually let you know if that's the case).

The best way to learn a new 3D app is the get hired by a company and then have their artists help you out; show you all the tricks and workflow. You'll be up and running in no time.
  • skrubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    plus if you wanna learn a lil on your own time and you're not made of money... there's always the free demos that'll atleast get you familiar with the UI ans such
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Software choice is largely irrelevant. Modeling is probably one of the least pipeline critical aspects of games up until you actually have to rig/animate or export to the engine. Before that, anything goes. If I were hiring a person for modeling, they'd get the job based solely on their ability to model, not their software knowledge.

Modeling is also pretty standard in terms of the tools required to do the job. Different packages may put their own twists and variations on a tool and call it something funky, but it's all the same in the end, and therefore can be learned very quickly by a new artist.

These days though, there really is no excuse for not being at least a little bit familiar with one of the major apps. With all the free demos out there, I'd be asking you why you hadn't tried one of them in an interview.

If I knew a company was using Max or Maya in their pipeline, I'd get familiar with them before applying there. Just makes sense, and shows a bit of commitment on your part.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

Would it be very difficult in most cases to get hired if you model in a different program than that specified by the company?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Most competent hiring managers understand that an application is a tool, and they are hiring an artist familiar with game tech. The tool is not 'irrelevent' but it is secondary to the skillset.

limiting an asset pipeline to one modeling application saves a conversion step, but this isn't the most important reason,
    There are two very good reason not to promote different modeling apps within a single assets pipeline that have less to do with asset creation.

The biggest two I can think of are:

a) Troubleshooting drawing and lighting problems.
    b) Tools creation.

A technical artist would need to be profiecient in two aoppliactions to spot tech problems. It's taken me a while to learn max that well...and i'm nowhere close to where I'd like to be with spoting and troubklshooting tech problems. Now to do that with 2 apps? that would be confusing, frustrating and a waste of time. Not to mention more of a headache. Trobleshooting geometry drawing issues is already enough of a headache :P

When a tools programmer is writing scripts and such they would have to learn a whole new scripting language and make each tool twice.

-R
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    Of course it's important. You don't want to have "lol i don't know 3dsmax BUT ILL HAVE FUN WITH AT WORK N LEARN DO THINGS" in your portfolio.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    This thread needs some length, why doesn't Raven post here.

:summons Raven:
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I could copy a few phrases from the bible in here, for good measure?
    Anyway, i agree with pak, when he says "The tool is not 'irrelevent' but it is secondary to the skillset." allthough i'm fairly certain that my seconding him holds no weight what-so-ever, since i haven't had any experience in the field. I would say it seems most logical, though, for them to think that way.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Of course it's important. You don't want to have "lol i don't know 3dsmax BUT ILL HAVE FUN WITH AT WORK N LEARN DO THINGS" in your portfolio.

[/ QUOTE ]

What company do you work at again, Cheapy? tongue.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    learn max. if you have time, learn something else too
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Pak: Your points are perfectly valid and echo my own when I say it only matters when you get past the construction phase of a mesh. Once the mesh is ready for game engine, there's really no turning back. If the engine supports smoothing groups in max, you kinda have to do your smoothing groups there, so transfering the model back out to your favorite app becomes impossible.

It gets even more complicated once rigging and animation are involved. But up until then, anything goes really. I've been using different apps for pure modeling work for over 4 years now with no bad consequences. It's a comfort thing really. If you prefer the tools or workflow in another program, use them, as it probably makes you more productive. Just know that there is a cut-off point where you will have to use what's in the pipeline - unless you have coders that actually want to support a second application (rare).

Anyway, I stand by my point because I've seen it work myself and I still do it today.

Some places will flat out force you to do it their way. That's short sighted and a bit too inflexible in my opinion. It says to me that the guys who established the pipeline don't know enough about the process to allow their artists a bit of room. Fine, that's the only time a single app becomes absolutely necessary - better to do what you're told than lose your job right? Glad I don't work in a place like that though. I like having a bit of choice in how I do my work. It makes me a happier employee. =]