Home Career & Education

Rigging characters for money, how much?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
I've been asked if i could rig some characters for a "mod", and i have no clue how much money i should ask for. Just wondering what a freelance artist would charge for a simple rig job? (5 characters for now).

Thanks.

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    These days, I'd want £50 quid a pop.
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    most mods, you know, dont pay people.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    True, but it's a small mod and the guy cant do all by himself so that's why he's willing to pay.
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    Good on him!

To get a good feel you will have to know how long its going to take you to do a standard character.
    Then just work out what they would pay you at McDonalds and aim higher than that to feel good about it. wink.gif
    But seriously, calculate what you would like to be payed an hour and then add a little time to make up for fixes that may need to be done and remember to include any taxes.

Thats exactly what everyone else is doing, so unless your aiming to drop prices to get a foot in the door, your prices should come out reasonable.
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    Problem can often stem from Multi-Area people.
    I mean £50 by Rick per Model is actually a very fair price, but in Canadian Dollar, that comes out rather expensive.

Often can mean better skilled people for the job are often a little too much. Personally, I would suggest a price-range. You won't attract any serious freelancer, but tbh most of them charge way to much because they're used to ripping off companies that can afford it.

I would say, on adverage just Skinning models doesn't take too long. Especially if your used to it.
    Normal Humanoid, generally most guys have a template ready. So your looking at 1-2hours. For more unique beasties, then your probably looking at 4-5hours.

I'd say Dave is right, charge just above fast food pay (that's what $10/hour there? so like $12) and multiply it by how complex you believe the model is (2 or 4).

So like $25 for Human, $50 for Complex. Seems fair enough, and would attract some people who have some skill but aren't quite professional. This said these people are sometimes better.

As if you talk to them before hand and get someone who's friendly. They will often be happy to tweak things while working on everything else without any extra charge. As they learn you'll end up with better stuff.

smile.gif Refreshing to see something like this.
    I'd also suggest trying over at the S2 Mercenary forum, there are a few guys iching to do some Characters. So you might be able to get one or two who want something to do in the mean time.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the tips, i'm fairly used to the process since i've already rigged about 30 characters for that game engine. It usually takes around 1 hour or less to get a humanoid in-game.

I dont think he's willing to pay 25$ for each characters so i'm guessing half of that would fit his budget better.
  • OutlawHue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OutlawHue polycounter lvl 8
    Hey everyone.....what are your thoughts now for a rig?
  • Alex_J
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Alex_J grand marshal polycounter
    I just posted a rigging job in the forum here, and from about 20 applicants the average was $300 for job that takes about half a day. I didn't set a price, that's just what people offered.
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    @OutlawHue
    Still I wouldn't be asking what the market price is.  You need to know YOUR costs of an hour of work. Taking into account how much money you need to pay your monthly bills and break it down to an hourly wage. Add taxes and backup to it and so on. That's the only number that you need. If you get more per hour, good for you. If you get less you better have an additional reason to do it.

You can't base your price off the international market with such huge wage differences.

Also don't throw such unspecific questions on the table when asking for prices ;) I can make you are rig in 10min - you won't be using it and send me to hell for it. Or i can do you a proper one that animators I worked with liked working with, but it takes me a day or two. If you add now also a complex face setup, or a muscle system, and a skinning job, and... well I'm certain you get the picture ;) In other words be specific when setting up contracts or signing them. Those little details matter a hell lot more than just looking at the 200 or 300 bucks :)
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    Usually the way to come up with an hourly rate is $30 + years experience + how much you actually need.
    So depending on what you're reason for taking up the job is, you can decide accordingly.

Some people charge a day rate
  • OutlawHue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just posted a rigging job in the forum here, and from about 20 applicants the average was $300 for job that takes about half a day. I didn't set a price, that's just what people offered.
      I would think that is their day rate and they may have calculated in revising and re-skinning....not sure just assuming. Thanks for the insight on that.
  • OutlawHue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag said:
    @OutlawHue
    Still I wouldn't be asking what the market price is.  You need to know YOUR costs of an hour of work. Taking into account how much money you need to pay your monthly bills and break it down to an hourly wage. Add taxes and backup to it and so on. That's the only number that you need. If you get more per hour, good for you. If you get less you better have an additional reason to do it.

You can't base your price off the international market with such huge wage differences.

Also don't throw such unspecific questions on the table when asking for prices ;) I can make you are rig in 10min - you won't be using it and send me to hell for it. Or i can do you a proper one that animators I worked with liked working with, but it takes me a day or two. If you add now also a complex face setup, or a muscle system, and a skinning job, and... well I'm certain you get the picture ;) In other words be specific when setting up contracts or signing them. Those little details matter a hell lot more than just looking at the 200 or 300 bucks :)
           Thanks for your thoughts on this. Personally I pull pricing from lots of aspects (current market pricing, my pricing, details of the job etc). Good to read different opinions.
  • OutlawHue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR said:
    Usually the way to come up with an hourly rate is $30 + years experience + how much you actually need.
    So depending on what you're reason for taking up the job is, you can decide accordingly.

Interesting way to calculate this
  • OutlawHue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
     I probably should have started another thread instead of hijacking this one. Thanks for chiming with your ideas so far. Anyone else?? Current pricing for rigging 3D character....Thanks!
  • NikhilR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NikhilR polycounter
    OutlawHue said:
    NikhilR said:

Interesting way to calculate this
    You could also compare with (the f* this background) what people earn as salary in a contract/permanent job yearly, to deduce what you feel you should get in freelance work.
    That information is available on glassdoor where you can check by role and experience.

You'd have to consider accounting for taxes, insurance, license costs in addition to living expenses. Also look at how much you'd need for vacation time (since that is unpaid in most freelance arrangements)

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    I usually go with equivalent permanent wage +30% for longer (several week) jobs and double it for shorter jobs.

Not that I freelance anymore, I'm too old