Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ABSOLUTION

cochtl
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
cochtl polycounter lvl 18
ab.gif
Err.. no not that...

I have a ton of 3d models on my computer that I always start, but never finish. Now I figure that it is time to put my foot down and finish up everything possible that is in my hard drive and to make stuff look good and get better in the process. So from here on out this thread will be devoted to me completing self projects and getting them out the door.

And with that I bring you...
skree-render2.jpg
A SKREE, those little bat-like weiner guys that try to smash Samus' face in and explode while trying...

Ref:
Skree.gif
skree.jpg

I made a lot of changes after my initial design to
1. keep to the original look somewhat and also because k-man mentioned it looked too insect like
2. give it some more joints and whatnot for animation purposes

Came back to it wednesday after hours and plan to get this thing modelled tonight no matter what!

Replies

• Bree
    Offline / Send Message
    Bree polycounter lvl 18
    That's a great idea - cleaning up the HD. I'm sure there are some other great abandonded projects that your efforts can inspire some people to ressurect their old projects and give them new light.

You should be able to get some great portfolio pieces out of this.

- Bree
  • cochtl
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks bree, and there is a ton of stuff in my HD that hasn't seen the light of day frown.gif

As for the Skree the model is pretty much done...for the most part. However. there is a lot of detailing I want to include for tonight's workout so stay tuned.

skree-render3.jpg
  • El_PIG
    Offline / Send Message
    El_PIG polycounter lvl 18
    Hot damn! This came out awesome! I recognized it instantly so mad props go out for a higher definition well done!
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    *Dons his Cotchtl fan shirt*

This looks sweet man. I really dig the subtle definition you did on his pincers. I can't wait to see it normal mapped HINT HINT HINT.
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    thats awesome coach-E .. it looks like you over exaggereated everything for the model.. this would be good for making a low poly and normal map.. but i really digg the little teeth things vs the big ones and the overall thiness of the comcept.. the model is great.. but i think i would like the model more if it was more like the concept..
  • cochtl
    Offline / Send Message
    my design didnt keep up with the original design from the series, so i made some adjustments.

I painted this over the past hour and a half to 2 hours. i gave up on the rocks and clouds after photoshop crashed so i didnt want to bother with them again frown.gif

stream-scene.jpg
  • cochtl
    Offline / Send Message
    skree-render4.jpg

Got the hipoly model done, spent the last week or so z brushing it after work. i hadnt used z brush since v 1 so i watched some dvd's to get back to speed. i had lots of fun, messed up a lot (kept getting confused with the keyboard setup and the UI), and finished this crazy model. I'm still working out some kinks with the wings but for the most part the normal mapping is good methinks. i'll texture this baby soon enough wink.gif

oh yeah, it's also missing its eye for now
  • cochtl
    Offline / Send Message
    skree-render8.jpg

This is what i have for this SKREE creature with a diffuse, normal and spec map applied to it. I made the carapace shinier than its flesh and the toothy bits and i tried to make it insect-like.

crits?
  • SouL
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    It's hard to tell what's carapace and what's flesh. To me it seems like everything has the same level of sheen. Obviously it's hard to tell from a still image, though.

Maybe you could try pushing the spec even more to the point where it looks almost wet/glossy?

I think you could really emphasize the carapace by having lots of tiny surface bumps accented with speculars.
  • cochtl
    Offline / Send Message
    skree-render9.jpg

I tried to make the model appear more metalic and shiny on the carapace parts; the arms and toothy bits are almost a matte type of look. i'd have to use a car paint type shader that took into account a gloss map or other texture that would omit certain portions of the model from that sort of effect.... But this is as much as i can do, unless someone else can think of some other solution. : /
  • HonkyPunch
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
  • cochtl
    Offline / Send Message
    skree-render0.jpg

I had actually finished the skree some time ago, but I forgot to post it here. I am pretty satisfied with it methinks.

It's a ki hunter; smart_tour.jpg

Its the thing on the right. They are those teal colored mantis-like aliens that look silly flying around in super metroid. I never really liked the design of it, so I'm thinking it would be cool to see more of a bipedal humanoid-ish creature that can also move around on all fours and fly short distances if need be. I also think it would be strange/neat to see a creature that has no pelvis but instead fakes it with its hindlegs which would give it an eerie look. I have been redoing from scratch cuz i thought my first takes on this alien just sucked. I'll show more progress as I go along with this one however.

k4.jpg

k1.jpg
    k2.jpg
    k3.jpg
    k5.jpg

I can only try and describe so much, and these first renders and my crappy concept can't convey my idea well, but you all will see more as time goes on. wink.gif
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    I really like the shape of the head smile.gif can't wait to see more of this one smile.gif
  • Bradfordart
    Offline / Send Message
    Bradfordart polycounter lvl 18
    Nice organics, I like the color palettes too. Keep it up..