Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Low poly head + texture practice

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
Hey!

Me and a friend (sup johny?!) have decided to make a couple of low poly heads for practice. This is my 3rd head texture and your feedback would be appreciated.

-Polycount 500 tris
-1 texture @ 256x256

latest1kl.jpgtxsheet3jo.jpg

Wires

wires8ii.jpg

The early stages
textureprogress1hi.jpg

Replies

• Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    The ears on the mesh are quite low.
    They should match up roughly,
    Bottom - Bottom of the Nose
    Top - Top-Most Ridge of the Eyebrow

Doesn't need to be perfectly in-line however around there is about right. The bridge of the nose is also a little too thick.

The texture itself, which is probably what this thread is more about. It good so far, though I would try to provide more lighting around the eyes give it a bit more detail, while for the cheek where it meets the fold of skin around the mouth. That areas seems a little off.

It has a constant depth, but what you need to be doing is showing that it is curving with the face and being shadowed by the cheek itself. Right now it's seperating the two areas a little too much. Same goes for the chin.

Minor tweaks at most though.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    This is a great effort! You could use a bit of color variation in the face.

Redder nose, ears, lips. Purplish eye sockets.

Less saturation & sharper highlights on tight areas of skin.
    Forehead, nose bridge, cheeks..

The eyebrows look stuck on, or fake. Dont try at this rez to paint idividual hairs. Work on getting a good shape & arch, then apply your "texture".

Eyes: The iris is too bright, and not being lit correctly. The top of it will be significantly darker than the bottom.
    Also, your "white part" of the eye, the scalera needs some redness & veins. You're also completely missing eyelashes. Even masculine men have dark eyelashes on the outside edge of both eyes, top & bottom.

Ok, enough tips from me. Use more reference! Don't just copy photos, but look & learn from them every time!

EDIT: I hope you don't mind, but I did a paintover, just to give you an idea of what Im talking about.

psycho_paintover.gif

I hope this helps! Keep it up!
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    yuk not the best paintover dude Lol
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    yuk not the best paintover dude Lol

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not all of us are the uber-133t artists that you are b1ll...
    Also, not all of us are rude smelly-frenchies either. So, ya know. Its a trade-off. confused.gifgrin.gif
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, Whats the point of the paintover then?

If you dont have the skills to teach, Arf Dont do it dude.

b1ll
    Oh and Im Qu
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Ok, Whats the point of the paintover then?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Is that to imply that because it's not what you would do its pointless? I beg to differ! Perhaps Psyko will appreciate & learn a bit from what I had to offer.
    As opposed to you, who have offered nothing.

[ QUOTE ]

If you dont have the skills to teach, Arf Dont do it dude.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Is that why you didn't bother? Don't have the "skills to teach"? or just decided to be insulting instead?

Post something constructive for this guy, or don't post at all.
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    <font color="orange">Raven:</font> Most of what you said is right on, was too caught up in lining up with the reference and didnt notice how low the ears were!

<font color="orange">Scooby:</font> i appreciate the time you took with the paintover, it's great to see someone else's approach. I think the eyes look much more alive than my poor attempt. Will certainly try to learn a few tricks from you!
    (By the way, eyebrows are temporary for proper positioning.)

<font color="orange">b1ll:</font> No need for hostility. Everyone has his own opinion, there's a better way to let him know you dont agree with his approach wink.gif. Content de voir un autre Qu
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    ahha, Arrete QUebecois toi aussi? Nice,
    Bah tu vois, Ce que je veux dire, cest que un mauvais paintover va simplement d'induire en erreur, et tu vas faire ces erreurs, Cest juste inutile et pas une facon d'apprendre.

Ton truc est pas mauvais, et je me sens con de pas avoir donn
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    B1 Has some great step by step facepainting pictures on his site.. Check em out.

http://www.planetquake.com/polycount/cottages/b1ll/
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    <font color="orange">b1ll:</font> Le manque de couleur revient souvent comme critique...j'en ai pourtant ajout
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    Just because he has some talent doesn't excuse him from being an arse. smile.gif

Personally I found Bobo's tutorial much better for explaining how to paint in photoshop. B1ll has some interesting random images but he doesn't exactly cover how to utilise layers, blend the colours, etc. His rely more on painting style skills.

The end results also come out looking quite lifeless and fine-art. Sometimes this is a good style sometimes not. It depends on what the feel of the artwork your working on needs to be.
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    Bobo paint great textures aswell, very stylised.
    I don’t think it’s a good idea comparing the two styles.
    Personally I find the “fine arts” style much better
    looking. But it’s so much harder to do.

Anyways. Do you have a link?

/Palm
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    www.bobotheseal.com ?
    the link to the tutorials on the main page
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Where are these Tuts of B1ll's? The site layout isn't exactly clear.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Psyk0: Now you are painting concepts, instead of what you see.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha all i do all day is walk around and quote you my man,
    but hey you hit the core of the problem

the actual visualization of whatever it is you are drawing, on opposed to immitating a "known" concept, is the skill that it all revolves around. idealy, you are to forget what you think you know, forget all these twisted concepts, forget how things Should look. all the time try and look at what you draw as something new, and analyze it objectively for what it is, and not how it Should look.

i dont think you need to look so much for reference on how eyes look, im sure you already know it. however, there is always some twisted perception that pulls you away from it, and this should be avoided.

do i make any sense with my english?
    bah

-shotgun128
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    B1ll gives the best advice: open your eyes and look!

[/ QUOTE ]Hehe, yeah. The really dumb thing is I actually opened the tutorial image, glanced at it and didn't realise what it was due to it running from bottom right to top left. You're a tricksy fellow B1ll. Nice tut though.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now keep in mind, I DID say...

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok, enough tips from me. Use more reference! Don't just copy photos, but look & learn from them every time!

[/ QUOTE ]

But I dont think that copying photos or being photo realistic 100% of the time is a good thing. I think knowledge of what is real & proper & realistic should inform your illustration, but that it's ok to bring a level of stylization to your work.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed! There is no good replacement for traditional art skills, practice & observation of reality. You couldn't be more correct. A great traditional artist need only learn to tools to become proficient in 3d. A good 3D artist with no traditional skills would probably be lost going the other way.

However! Many of those talents take a long time to develop. I'm not suggesting that anybody should ignore these things entirely, but sometimes learning some shortcuts, or some generalizations to "get the job done" helps in the here & now.

We've had a number of discussion on the boards recently about "artists" versus "technicians" and I suppose what I'm advocating is a blend of the two idealogies for the up & comers.

Its ok to use shortcuts, techniques & tricks to get the job done, but an understanding of WHY they work & the fundamentals of art & anatomy are only going to make you better and will be invaluable to your future.

We are all, I think, constantly developing our talents as artists, AND technicians. b1ll, per, pior, shotgun, me, poop, bobo, everybody.