Home Technical Talk

Render To Texture problem

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Wells polycounter lvl 18
Using the RTT option in max 7 to create normal maps projects the lowpoly wireframe onto the normal map. I cannot figure out why this is happening. It seems that I have everything set up exactly the same as the tutorial scene, which renders correctly. Anyone know what option I have somehow turned on to make the wireframe show up? This is driving me mad.

Replies

• sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    From Poop's in-progress normal mapping tutorial:
    (http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/normal_workflow.htm)

"If you are using 3DSMax as your baker (baking normal maps is only available in max 7 and up) you may not have any UV chunks overlapping. Grab the offending chunks (in the above example, both legs and feet grabbed from the same chunk). Then using Unwrap tools (available at www.chuggnut.com and YES it does work in max 7 despite him claiming it only works for 5) offset those chunks a value of 1.0 in either U or V direction (I prefer U). What this does, is moves it out of the way so that the max bake doesn't error (it ignores chunks outside of the UV square) but when a texture is applied, because the texture tiles, those chunks still get the exact texture area that their in-the-square counterparts get. This is why it's so important to offset it exactly 1.0 and nothing more or less. If you were to leave the chunks overlapping, your render would have a wireframe overlay of reversed normals, and in the color map, you'd have sparkly colors or a wireframe overlay."
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18