Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Power Cactus

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
migusan76 polycounter lvl 18
smile.gif Here is a real-time prop that I made for a contest over at cgtalk. Its 998 triangles with 3 512x512 maps!

cactusFinalComp.jpg

cactusWireFinalComp.jpg

REAL-TIME POWER CACTUS DEMO
real-timeCactus.jpg

DT3D POWER CACTUS <
Download
THIS IS A REAL-TIME PRESENTATION DEMO USING THE OGRE RENDER ENGINE. WITH VERTEX AND PIXEL SHADERS WITH A GI PASS.

Replies

• EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good but you need some sort of thorns I think. It currently looks like something I can touch safely.
  • dur23
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Ya the texture of thing is nice. Needs thorns....those ridges need to flow along the arms sticking out the side....
    see here
    otherwise its got a great texture to it...
  • nealb4me
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Hey,

I like the squishy quality of the cactus kind of makes me want to hug it or punch it or something :P I'm also interested to know why your realtime viewer is showing a doubled polycount?
  • SyaPed
    Offline / Send Message
    SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
    Are there any tutorials around on how I can setup a realtime demo like that?
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    yes, second vote for it looking like a very 'huggable' cactus. lots of personality though, good work with that smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    You could safely remove two loops from each arm and the trunk. Since you seem to be using normalmaps there's no need for rounding the lowpoly geometry where it doesn't change the silhouette.
  • Mark Dygert
    Looks great, it's really cute and has alot of character. The only crit I have is that it seems the same level of detail could be done with half the polys. a little cactus bloom on top would be a nice touch, almost like a little hat =P Does anyone else imagine this little guy hopping around, flexing its muscles?
  • migusan76
    Offline / Send Message
    migusan76 polycounter lvl 18
    crazy.gif Thx's for the comments and criqt's. EmAr yea I agree it needed some kind of tornish things, but what I had done was use a velvet fuzz on the edge of the cactus just not that strong on it. Since in the pics I saw of cactus's mostly have like a fuzz of thorns real small on the edge's. dur23 nice pic that was what I tried to do run it up along the sides. nealb4me Thanks for pointing that out I would have never even seen that confused.gif Not sure why that is its the same 998 model. SyaPed there really is no just simple drop and go engine or at least I haven't seen one. But Ogre3d Engine is one that I found simple enough for a artist with some programming to understand and run. KDR_11k your Prob right, but on the contest we have a 1000 limit so I figured I just use it.
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Poly wastage will count against you. Try to add a few more rings to the curve of the left arm instead of the loops you have that contribute next to nothing to the shape.

Come to think of it, you could probably add thorns with alpha planes. The bevel on the pot can go as well when you're normalmapping. Once simplified that way there should be enough left to add a lot of thorns.