Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Metal Slug Background (GBA)

I dragged my tablet with me to work today, I knew it was going to be a slow day and it helps to bring things to keep me busy. The tank is from metal slug, and I tried to make the background look like one found in Metal Slug. I was wondering if any one has made GBA games in the past and if so what size are they?

ms_01c.jpgms_01d.jpg

Replies

• dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    yup. And 240x160:)
  • ryan77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ryan77 polycounter lvl 18
    metal slug is the best series of games evar... I like it but the leaves dont say metal slug to me. The strong black outlines on them and the bricks aren't really how teh environments in the games are. Try outlines using the same but darker color or something... I like what you are doing though!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Make the background 256 color, convert back to RGB and add the tank, the GBA has two 256 color pallettes, one for sprites and one for the background.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Although the GBA has 256 colour screens, you cant have a 256 colour background quite so simply. It's bee a few years since I have done GBA stuff, so these might be a little off:

The screen is made out of 8x8 tiles, which means you can use a tiles system like a kit to put together levels (hence many repeating elements), or you can have an image as long as it is split into an 8x8 grid. Each one of these tiles can only have 8 colours, so you dont have 256 colours per se, but you do have tiles with 16 colours, and you can have 16 palettes.

You can also have layers, and each layer follows the same rules - 8x8 of 16x16 colours.

The sprites follow the same rules, generally sprites are 8x8 but you can have larger ones in multiples of 8x8. However there are only 15 colours, because in these palletes one colour is reserved for transparancy.

I worked on some GBA stuff at Ubisoft, and this is NOT my work, its the work of another artist there who worked on a level for the same project.

http://www.stickywhippet.com/artwork/Misc/GBA01.jpg
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, at least it's not like the C64 where you'd have to halve the horizontal resolution if you wanted three instead of one color in your sprite/tile.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    You might find this useful:

http://www.gamespp.com/tutorials/GbaBackgroundTiles.html

Some quick C&P

Depending on video mode, the Gameboy Advance has a number of background layers it can use. But regardless of what mode you're in, they're always split up into 8x8 pixel units called tiles.

And more here:

http://user.chem.tue.nl/jakvijn/tonc/video.htm#colors

It seesm you CAN have a single image of 256 colours, but that takes a load more memory thana well designed tileset.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a ton Rick those help a bunch! The next one I do, will follow the rules more closely now that I know about them.

Mike, wow that is smaller than I thought the one on the right is the correct size but does not follow any of the rules, it is not even cleaned up properly.

I did figure out an interesting way to clean up images instead of going in pixel by pixel. I am pretty sure someone already thought of it but I decided to write a mini tutorial because I haven't seen it brought up before. It can even be made into an action.

pic_01
    1) The unclean image. If you are like me then you more than likely don't draw pixel by pixel, and you end up with dirty edges. If this is how you draw, make sure it is on a seperate layer than your background, this is key to making this process work.

pic_02
    2)Create two new layers under your dirty image.
    - Fill the bottom layer with white.
    - Then select your dirty image (hold ctrl & click the dirty image layer, in the layers pallet.

pic_03
    3) On the empty layer, fill it with black.
    - merge the white and black layers.
    - Hide the dirty image layer for now, so you only see the black and white image.

[url="ttp://www.vigville.com/tutorials/pixel_clean_up/04.gif"]pic_04[/url]
    4) Then go image/adjustments/brightness,contrast. Crank up the contrast to 100% and play with the brightness setting until you get roughly the shape you want. Generally the higher the brightness, the tighter the clean up.
    - Then go select/color range, set the fuzziness to 0 and select white.
    - Then delete the white out of the image so only the black remains.
    - With the selection still active, unhide the dirty image layer and delete the outer half pixels. This might leave some half opaque pixels inside, which is fine.

pic_05
    5) Select and fill the black layer with a color closer to your image if a black outline is not what you are trying for.
    - You can also select the black layer and paint inside the selection if you need the background mask to be different colors.
    - Merge your dirty image layer with the background mask layer, and you are done =)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After reading up on all that stuff Rick posted and then some. I think I might have a usable set of 45 tiles used to make a 150 tile scene. I am not sure if that is low, high or right where it should be?
    ms_01h.gif
    ms_01g.gif 45 tiles.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, what a bloody hassle to make GBA games... NEver knew it would be such a pain in the arse...

Nice pics Vig, looking great.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hey Vig that's nice! I like how your last version really feels GBA-ish thanks to the efficient use of tiles. Makes me want to try that!

About that cleaning technique... You can also ctrl-click the original layer, hit the 'create alpha mask' icon at the bottom of the layer palette and adjust the mask's contrast/curves/levels. That way you have the whole thing in one maskd layer. Or maybe I'm missing something?

wouldthatwork.jpg

Hope that helps!
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Or you can simply create an aliased circle selection and color fill.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pior: I didn't even think of that, AWSOME, that saves even more time!
    SouL: you wise @$$ =) it was an illustration.
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    For gba games....The pencil tool is your bestest friend in the whole wide world;)

http://www.orbitalmedia.com/juka/index.html go to the media/screenshots section. I do all the level design/creation/art. Loads of shit to do.

You've got a good start....more alternates and more 2.5d is all ya need:)
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    The fact that you wernt already using the pencile tool freaks me out. Well if dur pimps his work ill do it too..
    http://www.glacegame.com I did all the art.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Man all of this is bringing back the early days of my career when I did sprite art for Genesis and SNES titles. Scareee! What's scary is how the mental checklist came back about doing tiles. and a small Tile set were multiples of 13. So 49 is about average.

Scott

Scott
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    49 isn't a multiple of 13. Do you mean 39?