Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hipoly Male Head Texturing

S-S
S-S
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
S-S polycounter lvl 18
- Nothing special i guess, but decided to show it
- Sometime ago i decided i will make base mesh cause i have used quite a lot time re-building similar meshes again and again.
- Head is part of my project for medium resolution male subdivision surface base mesh. It is built from quads only, and has only limited amount of detail. *for optional zbrushing
- I started UVmapping & texturing yesterday, as i wanted to take a break from spygirl model.

- Texture is 3000x3000, I used pieces of face photos as reference, and then toned them, removed low frequency lighting information.
- Rest is rubberstamping and painting. He doesn't look like anyone, i think i used something like 25 pieces from diffent photos i have as starting point - Photoshop only

-I also modeled simple teeth, not very good at the moment smile.gif
- I also did some test morph targets

CnC Welcome!

20050704_man_head.jpg

Replies

• Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like a good base mesh for some Z-lovin' but I've a few suggestions about the texture:
    - The eyes looks very white in the corners. Maybe some more obvious blood vessels and a slighly more pinkish color are in order.
    - There seems to be a texture-seem running down the middle of his face. It's most obvious on the forehead and on the bridge of his nose.

Would really like to see this looks like after it has been through ZB, post some tests please!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    you are everywhere arent u
    good job the proportions are spot on

classicaly enough, the eyes are too light
    get some blood and shadow in there

like many girls, he's better with his mouth closed :P
    i think the jaw could use a little tweak, but lets see some more angles, its hard to crit
  • S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    Cubik:

- I think you see the terminator of area light shadow. I have 0ne light in 90degrees angle to camera, which causes that dark band.
    - Anyway i didn't have time to render with better lighting - I need faster render box...can't even supersample this lowquality arealights smile.gif

shotgun:
    - Yes - i will fix eyes later, have take a break today! - Jaw line might be bit wobbly, and the mesh is really lowresolution - morph target for open mouth is not too polished either, just wanted to see those teeth wink.gif
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    The way the front of the ear is connected to the head is not quite right.

The rest looks great.
  • S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    JKMakowka:
    Yep. can't leave it like that... I hope it's better now. I did some editing in eyelids, and darkened eyeball too smile.gif

20050704_man_head_02.jpg
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    looks ace man, for some reason there still seems to be something off about the eye but to be honest I think that's gonna be down to implementing fancy stuff like multi-texture pass, as it's missing a layer of specular or any real reflection of some kind.
    Considering this all just the 1 kind of texturemap (right?) it's really impressive, gud stuff smile.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i like in the first pic, the upper right expression... this is his 'coy' expression smile.gif
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    he seems to have huge bags under his eyes. =O

i like this its much better than anything i could come up with. but in my opinion, he looks too generic. like its something everyone makes. and has no uniqueness about it. maybe give him some cool hair? some sunshades? a scar?

something to give him some personality.
  • Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    Looking ace as usual.

I wish you would post wires for this and your other models though, I'd like to be able to crit your mesh construction
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    I happen to be working on some similar stuff . The only thing I can see that might need some attention is making the neck look more taunt . Like it hardly looks like he has any muscles in his neck right now . Other then that the eyes look really fake like most game eyes . This guy at Amazon Soul gets very realistic looking eyes by making them look more gritty then eyes may normally look but it helps to get ride of that CG look in my opinion. Here is a link to what im talking about http://www.amazonsoul.com/dick03.html

Anyways can't wait to see you take this one further it is looking fantastic @!*edit* I forgot to mention how f-ing great those ears look...ears are really hard to do in my opinion so good job !
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    So nice! Again! I like the slightly bruised/rencently shaved look smile.gif

Those lips are a tad pink tho!
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    it looks really good

one thing i can suggest, the white color of the eye is too white
    make it more red and add some red vains on low opacity

nice work so far
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    btw he remind me that guy from american pie laugh.gif
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    the issue with the eyes is very simple, and i said this in my earlier post: the shadow that people think is missing is not natural darkness of the material (which actually needs to be more bloody, more skintone, like lonewolf said). theres a drop shadow from the eye lids which makes top area of the eye darker, just like in pogonip's link. there's also backlight reflection on the lower part of the eyeball..

the eye bags are pressed-down skin from the eyeball, and must curve around it precisely. you just need to darken them on the sides so it curves around more, and u'r good.
  • S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    pogonip:
    -I know the eyes are bit of a problem... I will make better reflector/env when i have to get more realistic look.

pior:
    -Thanks smile.gif I know, i know - pink lips smile.gif

almighty_gir:
    - I will use this head as base mesh in my hires works. I don't want to do too unique proportions.

shotgun:
    - I will do better lighting when i have time to do more expensive renders! I know i can't get proper shadows under eyelid/nose/ear...
  • Renardin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renardin polycounter lvl 18
    image043.jpg

That shows what your model miss. the little hair on the edge of the eye. (don't know the name in english, forgive me, french is mother tongue...)
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet. All you need is a specularity map and this is going to look a lot more realistic.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Looks really nice if a tad generic. Maybe you could give him a distinguishing characteristic or two. An assymetrical face would be a good starter. Although the morph targets do help a ton.

Great work as usual man.