Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Launched my Portfolio Website!

JBoskma
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JBoskma polycounter lvl 18
Finally I got my lazy ass into gear to finish and upload my website. It's done, up and running at www.boskma.org. There is always space in the artist section of my links page, so if you want to get your url there, let me know. If people would be so kind to add this site to their links sections as well, I'd appreciate it. I could use some advertising. Well enjoy grin.gif

Replies

• PeteJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteJ polycounter lvl 18
    very smoove, and easy to navigate.
    great work there too.
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Kool stuff m8, long time no see/hear, hope everything's kickin out for ya wink.gif
    You'll b sure to get linkage when I get my webby up proper.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Very classy man, just get some 2d stuffs on there smile.gif
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    Looks nice, one crit:

'About', as there is only one section it should automatically load the short biography.
  • JBoskma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Looks nice, one crit:

'About', as there is only one section it should automatically load the short biography.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thx, changed it.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    i think when u click the menu it should automatically open the first sub-section, especially if there is only one

the design is a little "passive" to my taste, there is no atmosphere, though thats not what everyone is looking for.

i would say sort out the thumbnails, i think they look too random in these close up.

the splash page with your signiture look fartsy to me,
    the one you had b4 with the monster was cooler.
    are you selling your work, or your name..

anyways if its done its done - go get some work done confused.gifcrazy.gif
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi Jelmer

The site gives a nice and smooth feel wich I think is cool and relaxing.

However as Shotgy mentionned the way your section links work is a tad weird. Like when I was on your intro page and clicked "3D" I was expecting to see art popping in the middle of the page. Hence my eyes looked down to fetch the pretty pictures they were expecting, and I missed the subsection display. I you really want to keep subsections like you have atm you might need to consider dropdomn menus?

In general I think that less sections the better, it simply saves mouse clicks. You could keep everything 3D in one single page for example, with two thumbnail blocks, one for personal one for pro. That'd be more 'inyourface, more colorful since you'll have more pics at once and you'll be sure that viewers will embrace most of your production.

Its common to go for multiple sections like you did, it sounds organized and all. But from the viewer's point of view its slower browsing, which you want to avoid for jobhunt. I've heard (and believe) that even a plain page with many pictures thrown together is sometimes more efficient than browsable links.

I like that example from a good friend of mine :

http://jeremymariez.free.fr/roughs.htm

Website is a tad on the sketchy side to say the least, I'm sure the code is far from being clean, but man that's faast and efficient. I'm sure he didn't spent that much time on it and he won't update like a madman but for some reason that site has a nice appeal.

Agreed with Shot on the signature too.

Overall it fee your site really feels controlled which is nice, I hope I didn't sound too harsh, it's just that I think it could beREALLY AWESOME with a bit of a fix here and there.

Good luck for the jobhunt man, didn't comment on the art here but obviously your work kicks butts wink.gif

[edit]

Woops man forgot something. I was browsing with a freshly installed Firefox and the flash plugin was not installed yet, hence I did not see these faded images on the intro page. Well I guess most ppl have the plugin installed but you could also go for a random image rotator (without fading because in these case a IE specific filter would be allowed and it wouldn't work elsewhere) that chages the pic based on timing or page reload. I think Poop has one on his folio, he might be the one to talk too smile.gif
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Really nice. I like that Machinegun turret model alot too.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great! I like the layout and your choice in colors, the images rotating thru the upper main image is a really nice touch. I also like the signature in your work, its a really nice touch.

With that said I think there are a few dirty corners to tiddy up.
    1) I understand English is not your first lang? So I totally understand and want to cut you some lack for some weird grammar on the about page. But at the same time changing these few things might help you blend into North America a little better and find a job. "At the age of 12 I've started to experiment with designing..." Drop the 've and have it read "At the age of 12 I started to experiment with designing..." saying "I've" which is short for "I have", makes you sound like you are currently 12, which you are not. "I've" is present tense but the event you are talking about is in the past. So either say "I had" or just "I". "Had" is the past tense of the word "have".

2) Most of the pieces you show are unfinished or parts of models. The total of all your work shows you can create clean efficient meshes, unwrap, and apply/paint very realistic textures. However there are not a lot of models that showcase all these features. I would strive for more finished work to show off. This is not to say the work you have up currently isn't impressive, it is very much so impressive. But having more finished work might help prove two things you are serious about seeing projects all the way through. And you don't get distracted or board with a model and move onto something else before finishing it.

3) There is a lot of "coming soon" pages especially in the 2D section. I understand you just launched and not all the pages are up. Make sure not to toss up any old crap just to fill space, make it quality stuff if that means 2-4 pieces then so be it. In my opinion it is better two have 1-2 outstanding pieces than 20-30 mildly mediocre pieces.

4) I think each section needs a main page. or the second set of buttons needs to flash, or have some color change when they pop up. I totally missed it when they appeared. I waited for a while for the main 3D page to load, before realizing there wasn't one.

Awesome stuff, some of the better portfolio layouts I have seen! Keep up the amazing work. If this is the calliber of work you do before going to school I can't wait to see what kind of stuff you will be doing afterward! Let me the first to say Congrats on the move and the new job, when you land it, and you will.
  • JBoskma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pior, Vig, thanks for your time writing posts of that size =]. I will think about how to make the navigation a bit more obvious for people.