Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Tully polycounter lvl 18
I told them I'd make it here eventually! And so I have. I've been told that you guys need some more women around these parts anyway. And a hi to all the guys I hung out with at the CA san francisco workshop!

First post, and first actual finished model incidently. I haven't been doing this very long, but I've gotten some great help from MoP and Poop for her.
Yoshimi-final.jpg
Yoshimi-final-facefrontal.jpg
Yoshimi-final-wireframe.jpg

The concept sketch
yoshimi.jpg

And a link to the texture

So, crits and comments are more than welcome. smile.gif Thanks!

Replies

• Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    Ok so welcome, this is an awesome place to get involved with all things poly.

Character looks great, the design is modest, which is good becuase its not over the top. the poly layout looks really good, and the texture really works. My only concern is the texture size. Theres a bit of minute detail on the suit that im wondering if it were lost os the size of the texture needed to be shrunk.

But other than that not really any crits at all smile.gif And its nice to see a female that isnt extreme-erotica.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Welcome to polycount, First let me say Ive always wanted to do a model based on that flaming lips song. I must say your version of Yoshimi isn't that far off from what I imagined her to look like. Someone else did a yoshimi over at the eatpoo forums though it was much more cartoony. This is really cool.
    I hope you are not done with this model, because there are a few things you could do to tighten it up.
    Crits:
    The seams in her "Super Suit" could be pushed a bit. I see that you have put a bit of shadow and highlight in them but it is quit hard to see. you might even try making the go out rather than in. Like the seams you would see in stitched leather.
    I like what you are trying to do with the face, but the nose uv's dont quite fit with the geometry you presently have. The skin tones need more color variation as well too.
    Great model and again, welcome to polycount.
  • MisterCline
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MisterCline polycounter lvl 18
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    looks a bit unfinished texture-wise, but I like it. and thank you for adding cute freckles to a game character.
  • LegionaireJoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LegionaireJoe polycounter lvl 18
    TULLY!!!

Holy crap, nice work so far! Good to see you onboard the big green space station laugh.gif

Everyones comments I pretty much agree with, so I'll save us time and nod & smile! Awesome stuff!

-Kris
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    YOu needn't imagine what she looks like, Yoshimi is a real person, albeit one rather embellished by the song.
    img_mainphoto1.jpg
    Yoshimi Yokota, AKA Yoshimi P-We from 'The Boredoms'.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    good stuff, and welcome.

design works great.
    face could use some more around the nostrils, hairline, and go easy on the black around the eye-line and eyebrows. not only its not really as black but women also plucl their eyebrows anyways

great boobs :P
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    awesome choice!! the bordoms rock.. i think the UVs or the texture needs some attention around the nose.. but you really have some nice volume going on and i like the way you handled the butt.. the pants streched over the crack not sucked into it.. always bugs me that female models are usually just nude chicks with colors painted over their bodies to look like clothing.. wish more people would make clothes made out materials sewn together, not majic body paint that wrinkles at the joints.. good job.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi and Welcome Tully!

I've been seing pencil sketches of yours here and there recently and loved that.
    Model is looking sweet! I like the smooth shading/lighting you have here. Hairline is a bit harsh tho.

Can't wait to see more!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    You know it's awesome!

Welcome to the boards and all that jazz.

I really dig the concept and the model. From the wireframe, it looks like you could probably collapse a few edges on the forearm, it's a few too many around for the density of the rest of the model.

I think the contrast on her face could be pushed just a tad, and the boxiness of her jaw could be rounded out a bit.

Looking fancy overall, and I hope you're here to stay!

Now get to work on your cgchat collab!
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    Very very slick. A nice interpritation off the album cover. Any chance you'll do your rendition of the pink robot next?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, her rendition of the pink robot is very cool... she should post it here *hint hint*!

Fortunately it's nothing like the ones off the album cover, I actually think the album art robots are pretty poor... they just look silly and not robot-like at all, really.

Anyway, yeah... you already know what I think, but I'll post it here anyway. It's great for a first finished model and texture, for sure.

Shotgun's right about the eyebrows, and also what people say about the face skin tone is true, it does seem a little bright. I think it's just the angle of that render that makes the nose look weirder than it is, it usually looks fine at other angles.
    The hairline could probably blend better, also, but these are all minor points - overall it's very strong work!

Put your newfound knowledge to good use, and model up the pink robot, then make a BATTLE SCENE!!! smile.gif
  • Tully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    Badge: So this would count as softcore erotica, you think? wink.gif The texture is 1024x1024 for the model, but the one I linked to is shrunk to 512x512.. can't quite remember why I didn't do the full size one, but I'm sure I had a good reason in my head at the time.

ghost_rider: Thanks for the crits! And you do make some good points. If I have some time and the inclination later, I may play around with her a bit more.

Mistercline: thanks smile.gif

ElysiumGX: Yeah, I'd tend to agree with you there. I'm really more of a painter, and texturing requires a level of finish I'm not quite used to yet.

LegionaireJoe: JOE! Hi smile.gif And thanks! I'll expect to see some work out of you too!

Jackablade: Looks like I was kind of far off... ah well smile.gif It's still fun! I didn't know that.

shotgun: Funny you should say! I was just plucking my eyebrows earlier.

arshlevon: I think I do have a little magic-bodypaint thing happening around the boobs now that you mention it.. but oh well.

pior: Thanks, pior! I've had a look at your new site as well. Great work to be sure.

Poopinmymouth: I'm workin'! New stuff should be popping up on there soon smile.gif

Steakhouse: Chances are very good, in fact. I actually finished that concept before I finished Yoshimi's.

And yes, MoP...
    pinkrobotcolour.jpg

Thanks for the comments, everybody!
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Ahh a girrrl *runs and hides*

Welcome to Polycount smile.gif

Nice work so far, definitly a really good 'first' model.

One point I would focus in the future on (for higher polycount models) is getting the mesh to actually follow the form ('flow') of the body. For example the meshstructure (= edgeflow) of the breasts (and the face) should be rounder to represent the shape (and shading) better.
  • Jerome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerome polycounter lvl 18
    odd, i thought i posted.. Well its a nice model, it good to see that not all female models turn out to have riddiculous proportions. I think you should now do a high poly version...
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Tully! You're here! Nice to see you.

The model is good, but i would echo the same comments about collapsing the geometry here and there, to tidy things up. Shape, anatomy and design are fine. There just needs to be a slight optimizing" of the mesh, because that will make dformations and weighting easier when rigging.

Scott
  • Moz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moz polycounter lvl 18
    looking great. but it would be nice if you could get the shape of the head closer to the concept, it seems to have much more character with the smaller eyes and the flatter top of the skull with a broader jaw,