Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rugged Mercenary-type character

clovis
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
clovis polycounter lvl 18
Just have the head so far. It's been months since I've textured anything so I need to get back into it. I am trying to go for an unreal tournament style and am trying to make him look like something along those lines.

I'm going for next generation polycount, so the polycount of the head is rather high (2861 tris) I suppose I could cut out some of the polys though. I'm still developing my edgelooping skills also.

I want the body to be heavily armored, but I'm having trouble coming up with a good design. As of right now I'm fairly happy with the head but feel free to tear this guy apart if need be.

Thanks

headwire.jpg

headfront.jpg

3heads.jpg

3heads2.jpg

Replies

• -=Warhead=-
    Offline / Send Message
    -=Warhead=- polycounter lvl 18
    Excellent job man.. Ears are a bit to thick for my taste though wink.gif.

I love the veins you put in his head, Looks really nice. Amazing detail XD!
  • ejay
    Offline / Send Message
    ejay polycounter lvl 18
    looks great,
    I think the forehead and nose areas are a little too washed out- i'm not sure whether this lighting comes from the texture or from actual 3d lights, but if it's the former you might want to tone it down a bit to allow more color and texture to come through.
    The model looks great, with minor adjustments you can make a smoothed and detailed highpoly version of it to use as a normalmap for a stripped down, lowpoly version of the same model. (unreal engine 3 style)
  • clovis
    Offline / Send Message
    clovis polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the comments.

I agree about the lightness of the nose and forehead, also the ears. I'll try adding more color. I actually have been messing around with normal mapping. In the images with the three heads, the middle head has a normal map and a complete map baked into it.
  • Kristian
    Offline / Send Message
    Kristian polycounter lvl 18
    Don't tug my head off, Kratos! ooo.gif

Waaaaitaminute... crazy.gif

Nice work! I like his attitude, but the nose is sort of a strangely undefined lump, and his lips suffer from a bit of the same lumpiness and colour bleed. He definitely looks like a badass though!
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Model looks great (apart from the aforementioned ear thickness, I also think it'd look better thinner).

Texture looks like it needs work - as has been said, the forehead and nose areas are waaay too bright and washed out, I'm pretty sure it's the texture doing that. It's not just a case of adding more colour, I think you also need to add a bit more dark shading here and there, especially around the bridge of the nose, to give it a more natural form and shape.

The lip texture is also pretty blurry. Actually, now that I look at it, the whole texture seems a bit splotchy, could benefit from sharpening and tightening the shading. What size texture map are you using? Any chance of seeing the flats?

Nice character and good modelling - just work on that texturing and it'll be awesome smile.gif