Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Winston

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Slainean polycounter lvl 18
I've always been a fan of the cel-shaded look, so I wanted to do a character in that style for the fun of it. Wind Waker was my main point of reference. This is an update of an unfinished character.

winston1a0qp.th.jpgwinston2a3it.th.jpgwinstonnone6va.th.jpg

Wires
winston1b4kk.th.jpgwinston2b5gq.th.jpg

The design was ad-libbed, and at some point I decided he should be a little sinister looking. I'm still new to rigging, so I'm working on that. So, before I call him done FOREVER AND EVER... thoughts?

Replies

• Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Before i even read your post i could tell wind waker was the game you were looking at for inspiration. smile.gif Great work! Only possible thing i can think of would be maybe some light low contrast rings around the toes like birds have? Not sure. He looks straight out of an expantion pack to WW!
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    Hey n30g3n3s1s, thanks for all the nice words! I was thinking the same thing about the feet, so since you mentioned it I went ahead and did that. I painted big rings at first but then he had a Big Bird thing going on which I didn't like so much. Minimalism is key, I think.

Here are the results:

winstonsmug4rn.th.jpg
    Winston adjusting his glasses in a condescending manner

winstonyelp8oi.th.jpg
    G-G-G....GHOSTS!

4968 polys, 1 512x512 map
    I could have used less polys but it was just a personal excercise. First time I've rigged a character, so its a little rough. grin.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Scrooge McHawk!
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Hahaha perfect! laugh.gif I wouldnt change a thing.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Only issue might be the eyes, antropomorphized characters usually have their eyes moved to the front. since he looks like a bird of prey anyway he'd probably be better off with the eyes on the front.