Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP: Alien warrior-like-thingy

DarthRevanII
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
DarthRevanII polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys, back again with more WIP's smile.gif
As some of you know, i just made all three Predator's from the AVP movie. Me and two of my friends are starting up a mod for Half-Life2 (cant say anything yet though) and i was trying to come up with an alien design. It used the base model of the Predator, and also similar features of the predator, so you will see similarities. I'm still going to add and dretract from the model, but this is basically it. As you can see, just like the predator, he has a wrist blade, but its not retractable. This alien is actually very similar to the Predator (but because fox is gay, we cant have pred mods wink.gif)

http://www.n00bstories.com/image.fetch.php?id=1210783108
http://www.n00bstories.com/image.fetch.php?id=1009363340
http://www.n00bstories.com/image.fetch.php?id=1121942507
http://www.n00bstories.com/image.fetch.php?id=1280708691

He is suppose to be a lizardish/insectish creature, and im trying to think of how i could make him more insectlike. I want him to be strong looking, but he definately needs more insect characteristics. The dark "temples" are actually going to be like the circle things on frogs.

Please offer any crits or suggestions, id really love to hear them

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Good start, darth. Looks very predator, almost too similar in a way that makes it a bit of a disappointment as the next model after your predator. But never mind that, it's a good start and shows a lot of promise.

I'd like to see you take this character further in the directions away from predator that you already have. For example, he's already got a spikey horned out head and jaw so it's clearly a ramming creature. Why not build up the shoulders with more big natural spikes and bone armor, give him a stronger neck to open up doors for a ramming attack. Also, enhances his natural hand claws, and drop the predator blades.

Now, if you really want to go insect, drop all that lame-o armor, and build him up with an exo-skeleton! Maybe even segmented body parts. While I was working at Jaleco, we worked on a bug fighting game for a while that never saw the light of day. Doug posted some of his concepts, check out the ones listed as Rising Sun

http://douglasshuler.com/acb/showprod.cfm?&DID=9&CATID=7&ObjectGroup_ID=74

If you want to stick with the predator, his chest isn't as bulky as the rest of the body, and the armor is paper-thin, I'd beef it up around the chest and shoulders a lot.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    I think he might've caught the same creative block i've got, since every gargoyle i do now keeps turning out to be a brother of firebrand
  • DarthRevanII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha...No. I understand it probably is a disappointment being so similar to the Predator.

As i stated, Fox wont allow Pred mods. This is --MY-- way of making a mod with the predator in it. Call it cheap if you want (no pun intended cheap wink.gif) but its the only thing that will satify me. I am working on making it unique though wink.gif Added some more horns and stuff, made him not so (forgot the word) same on both sides.

What im really wanting, is ways i can add to him to make him more insect like. I dont want EXTREME solutions, i just want simple stuff (Like other appendages coming out of places or mandable like things, etc)

Forgive me Cholden for not looking more at your comment, i dont have the time at the moment to really reply to YOU, but i will later tonight or tomorrow smile.gif Thank you for your comments though. I LOVE those concepts (although i fear they are way to extreme for what im going for, they dont scream "hunter" to me, just monster)
  • Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty good, I really like the head. The arms feel really weak to me, though I'm not sure why yet. I think the tail needs to be worked into the back more, so that it's more of a continuation of his spine rather than something sticking out of it's butt. And I think you need to put more into the legs. It looks like you spent some time adding detail to the upper body, but the legs look really bland and boring in comparison. Like Chris said, you can really build up on some of the details you have going to give it a lot of it's own character.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    He reminds me of the evil boss from The Mighty Ducks cartoon series. I think Cholden gave some very sound advice. I think you need to work a bit more on the design, even if you are trying to go a similar route to the predator. Really break down the aspects of the predator character design that you enjoy, then emulate that. Trying to emulate the actual end design itself is probably a mistake.
  • DarthRevanII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.n00bstories.com/image.fetch.php?id=1128809590
    Update, nothing much really though, just fixed the tail, added a few things and changed a few things

Cholden: Nifty thought about the ramming...funny thing is i actually hadn't even considered that, haha, but now i see why you thought that. I think he does need some beefing up all around, so its good to hear someone clerify my thought.
    The claws and feet are TOTALLY going to change. They were there from the base model and i hadn't even touched them yet. I should have said so earlier. Im going to give him a total of three fingers (i think im going to make them webbed feet and hands?)
    Ill try and work on the chest and shoulders bro, thankx.

Really appreciate your analization of it. Maybe i am sticking too close to the Predator. I DO want to keep the blades though just because thats one main thing i wanted to keep. However im going to make them an energy beam rather than just razor sharp metal.
    I think, as for the insect idea, try and make the upper body and lower body look seperate, not sure

Soccer: Thankx for the comment about the head. I totally agree with you about the arms. I noted that before, but just got hasty and forgot to give it. I want him to seem more muscly yet not TOO muscly
    Oh man, im an idiot about the tail...it did look stupid too haha...fixed that wink.gif thankx bro
    I guess i didn't say this earlier, i ment to. You are right about the legs, but actually ive done as you said...i haven't focused on detailing the legs, i was just getting the base down, and im working my way from head to toe. Im going to add some sort of devices to his ankles (health regeneration kit, ammo, hell maybe even some sort of power source) and something on his opposite thigh armor...also going to add pouches, as well as a backpack to his back.

Poop: Hmm, good idea. Although he is based off the predator, i DID want to give him a warrior'isk look, and even without the predator this is thr route i would have taken, but ill still try and find ways to make him different...guess i should get rid of the dangly armor from his stomach again too...just a crotch plate would do...and guess i should change some other stuff as well

Also, i think im going to get rid of some of the horns on his head...seems to much..anyone agree?

Thankx guys...i work the next three days, but you will be hearing from me wink.gif

I was going to update the Predator SDK, but i honestly just dont see a point. I was so excited to have multiple people working on a skin for it, but i dont want to waste your time, it was done in haste a bit and even though i want to update it, i dont think there would be a point...if anyone disagrees let me know though
  • DarthRevanII
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great.
    You should get rid of the the tail tho...looks too lizardlike.

Maybe something like a bee-behind or something.
    portfolio_art_bee.jpg
  • DarthRevanII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    lizardish/insectish creature

[/ QUOTE ]

He is, and thats why i gave him a character. I'm wanting to mix the insect/lizard characteristics, but i guess he doesn't have any insectish characteristics about him, so im thinking about dropping it. However that is an interesting idea...ill check that out bro, thankx

Sorry this character had no definition, im working from my mind and how i expect him to work, so i guess its not making it fun for you guys to crit, and thats my error frown.gif. Next time ill try and get a sketch down and distinct definition of what i want
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    My bad.
    Kinda missed that part in the first post laugh.gif