Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Big Chief for UT2k4

schlumpy
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
schlumpy polycounter lvl 18
Yay I’ve nearly finished a model

Here is a Model that I’ve been working on for the last month. He’s probably 90% done. He is an Indian dude for UT. He is 4075 polygons with one 512 map for his head and one 1024 for his body both textures are 100% self illuminated. I have rigged him and done some simple walk and run animations for him as well. I don’t really like his face, any suggestions? I feel that he needs some more detail and points of interest. Suggestions? Comments?

Schlumpy
BigChiefMap.jpg
BigChiefWires.jpg

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those textures are 1024 and 512? Man they look like 128x128 and 256x256.... Definately no reason for large textures like that with the amount of detail you have there.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    EQ is right, although the model looks good, and I like the design, the textures are quite poorly executed at the moment.

The tones in general are muddy, there's not enough colour variation or contrast in the face, it looks like you've either been using dodge/burn too much, or greyscale without enough colour layers.

The idea and general style you have going on is cool, it looks like the guy'll fit well into the UT2k3/4, but I'd definitely recommend going over the textures, tightening up the forms (put some harder edges in there - light/dark contrasts right next to each other), also try to saturate the highlights more, white highlights tend to look unrealistic and odd.

Like I say, the idea and the model are good, just the texture needs work to make it all look consistent (those feathers are just TOO colourful...).

Keep it up!

MoP
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    I love this model, but listen to these strapping young lads. They are very right. More contrastmorecontrastmorecontrast! You would do well to get some leather overlays for the straps perhaps. Your skin tones are very dodge and burny at the moment. Give this thing a bit of a 1 pixel brush love fest perhaps.

Also I'm not sure what is going on with those shoulders/ They seem very far out and a bit low. Maybe take a look at that, eh?
  • Kyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyle polycounter lvl 18
    Is it just me or am i not seeing anything....
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I think it's just you, those images are still there...
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i can also see some poly waste like , some stuff that could be done only with planes and alpha maps :P
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    His head-dress, feathers, and tassles could of been done with about 1/12th the poly count you currently have there. With stuff like this, alpla planes are you friend. (If you'd like to know what they are just holler and I'm sure someone will explain it to you).

The texture resolution is WAY too high for the amount (re: lack) of detail thats in them.

I'd google up some images of native americans and re-paint the face texture. He looks dead (pale) and hardly aboriginal at all.

The geometry is definitely well done, just need to work on execution a little more.

Keep it up!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What was said above =)

Espeically about the alpha planes. You would be able to pull of a much more convining head piece with alpha planes. Check out this feather tutorial I found awhile back it was fun and easy to do and it looks great!

I really like how chuncky he is but doing those pieces with alpha's won't take away his chunkiness or character =) Its a great mesh but the textures are a bit lacking =(
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Love the model/proportions, hate the texture. Looks like a light bake and some overlays with a little dodgy burny smudgy smudgy. I really like the character, but I'd love to see you pour more time into the texture. Follow the above advice.
  • schlumpy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I guess it’s back to the drawing (painting) boards. I was kind of happish with my texturing effort, but I guess I will have to do some more work. I’ll got back and re-do the skin and make the feathers less colourful. The metal bits are ok? Right? I’m glad you guys like the mesh thought. Thanks for the feedback.

I was thinking of using alpha maps at first for the feathers, but the last model I made for UT the transparent parts of the map did weird stuff to other parts of the mesh. When a transparent part was in front of another part of mesh, you could see straight through the whole model. Has anyone else had that problem? Any solutions? Picture below.

Vig: I had a look at that tutorial. Thanks for the link I might use it if I decide to use alphas.

WeirdAlpha.jpg

Dan
  • Kraftwerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kraftwerk polycounter lvl 18
    Use 1bit alphamaps so you dont get these ugly
    sorting problems or set bMasked in Unreal Editor
    to true under surface options that should do the
    trick.
  • Muskie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muskie polycounter lvl 18
    Wowie. Change the head, make it a Tauren from WoW and you've got yourself a Fan.

-grin-

Very nice model, but like the other said, you'll need to make the colors a little more gaudy. :P
  • schlumpy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started to redo the texture for this guy. Also cleaned up the unwrap abit and remove some poly from the feathers because I'm going to use an alpha map instead. I used a photo to take samples of flesh tones and tried to put a bit more colour variation in the skin. Is this looking better?
    big_chief_head_better.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, definitely looking better, the flesh tones look much more natural. I'd work on making areas sharper - all the shadows at the moment are very soft, try putting a light colour right next to a darker one for a sharp edge in the shading, if you take a look at some reference photos you should be able to see where this sort of shading would be most useful.

At the moment, areas to focus on would be the nose (needs more colour) and the eyebrow area (seems to be too desaturated and blurred).
    I'm guessing the lips and eyes are still WIP - definitely remember to make the whites of the eyes much darker so they blend in with the surrounding tones - it always looks creepy when the eyes seem to glow smile.gif
    I like the way you've done the feathers there.

Good start, keep it up! wink.gif

MoP
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    And don't forget eyebrows! smile.gif Also glad you started hitting the face again, in the front on up above it looked as if he had a fat face and a large neck but looking at the side angle was just the shadowing effect laugh.gif