Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fatty Fish Trooper

`kungfubilly
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
`kungfubilly polycounter lvl 18
Still have to mess around with the rigging and maybe add some more details to the back 2706 tris, 512 and 256 tex maps

alienwip.jpgalienwipback.jpg

front wires
back wires

Replies

• Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    damn that rox dude! Exellent character. Nice/clean mesh and great texture. Proportions are great too. My only comment would be that you could add some additionnal shadows here and there (shoulder/arm join, etc). Forearms/hands parts need more work too (for me).

Anyway, great stuff.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    I dig this. Way exaggerated, way cool. I dont like how detailed the feet ar in relation to the shoulders. I see chunks there at the joint, and the feet are just silhouette. Just keep an eye on that poly distribution, i guess. =)

Seems the jet pack upper edge could use some sorta of detail? Maybe a trim? Or paint chips from intake? Who knows--just seems to be unfinished there=)
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    Cool and original design.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    its a trap!! hehe very nice
  • cheybea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheybea polycounter lvl 18
    hey rory
    lookin good..

- Chels
  • fiart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fiart polycounter lvl 18
    Cool design and well done model. I agree with the previous comment about the shoulder that could use more polys.Great work
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have some really soft lighting on the cloth/metal and some overblown highlights and shadows on the flesh which i think is kind of backwords and looks pretty bad, your lighting on the flesh is really bothering my like there is no light source at all just that you've painting some highlights and then surounded those highlights with some shadows. I would try toning down that lighting a LOT, and maybe baking out some a simple overhead light setup to get a more natural look to it. But other than that stuff it looks great, its a cool concept and the modeling looks well done but the texture work is falling short in some areas in my opinion.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Great concept, the model seems cool too, it's all very original and fun, so good job there!

I have to agree with EarthQuake on the lighting thing though, there doesn't seem to be a consistent light source, and the material differences (specular brightness and colour, etc.) isn't being handled so well.
    I really think the texture would benefit from more shadows painted in, that'd help separate the elements a lot more - at the moment the whole thing is reading as rather messy, different segments kinda blend into each other due to most of the values being in the midtone range.

It'd probably look a lot better if you didn't render it with a fullbright texture, since the gouraud shading on the model would help some of those issues, but I always think it's better if a texture in this style (non-normal-mapped) can work on its own in fullbright.

Any chance of an SDK? It looks like a really fun model to texture smile.gif

Good work overall, just work on the lighting consistency and material definitions, and it'll be absolutely amazing!

MoP
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Excellent design, I love this character smile.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    very original, i like the textures , very appelative smile.gif i dont know but for some reason i cant avoid to imagine that guy hanging out at Manaan on KOTOR lol..call me crazy if u want...
  • `kungfubilly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renauld Galand: Glad to see you like the design! It was mostly made up as I go along, so that's why the hands/forearms probably don't 'connect' well with the rest of it, they'll probably be messed around a bit more.

Stoofoo: Good eye on the shoulders and feet...after simplifying the feet geometry a bit and adding some more geometry to the shoulders it looks more rounded, as well as winding up w/less polys overall. I added a bit more to the jetpack as well, you were right in saying that it looked unfinished.

Palm: Thanks! I was playing with doing something a little nonstandard in the way of heads and it wound up sprouting a body afterwards (again, probably poor planning/design workflow but eh)...I blame the old tex avery/chuck jones cartoons for the proportions.

JO420: HAHAHAHA yeah! I wanted to give him more of a salmon colored skin like Ackbar but...nahhh....

Cheybea: Good to see you! We gotta chit chat sometime wink.gif

Fiart: Thanks!

EarthQuake: I really appreciate your critique...texturing still eludes me greatly (especially contrast), and most of the time spent so far on this model has been figuring out 'how to texture such and such material' and there's still a lot to learn, and what you're saying is totally correct. That's a great suggestion for the light baking, I'll definately mess around with that. Thanks again.

Mop: Like 'Quake, thanks again for writing that out...good call on the midtones, they're kinda like my comfort zone that I gotta boot my heiny out of...

That's awesome that you're asking about the SDK, I'd love to see what you and other polycounters would do with this mesh (which might leave me green w/envy but it'd be a good learning experience muahahaha). Would a .obj (I work w/maya) and the uv maps for the body and head be enough or is there anything else required/reccomended?

Irritant: Glad to hear you like him!

Johny: YOU'RE CRAZY! If anywhere he'd be on Endor making Ewok shish kebobs wink.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    OBJ would be fine, there are free plugins for Max and most decent model viewers, so there's no compatibility problem, I think. Wireframe UV maps are usually fine... might wanna stick a readme in there with contact information, if you feel like it too, although it's not really necessary.
    I'm also interested to see what people can come up with for this guy, he's definitely the most original thing I've seen round here for a while! smile.gif
  • `kungfubilly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet! Here's the SDK:

Fishtrooper SDK zip (114 kb)

Enclosed is the .obj, .tar uvmaps, and a quick contact readme. Go wild and post what you whip up!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    bahahaha!

that rules! Love the colors in your skin too, really work well together smile.gif i kinda wish the seam at the arm wasnt so pronouced by the shift in materials - you could probably hide it a little more by pulling the sleve down a bit.

kinda makes me think of what Spongebob characters would look like if they were all 'hardcored' out into an FPS game, in the cheesiest way possible (not a negative comment on the design, i love it!).
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
  • peppi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
    That's a very cool design, kinda reminds me of Earthworm Jim. The fin between those jet engines is a nice detail smile.gif I agree that the skin needs some work and his fingers could use more definition - right now they do look a bit blocky. Anyways, great model!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    How'd I miss this? I love it. Cool design.
  • usagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    awesome, i love it.
  • LordScottish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LordScottish polycounter lvl 18
    haha, great character
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome!! smile.gif Think he's eyes would get sucked into the engines?? smile.gif
  • M3anBONE_sj_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    M3anBONE_sj_ polycounter lvl 18
    Hehe nice work! Cool idea. =)
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Odd, i could have SWORN i've seen him in a game i own..umm..Future tactics, i think?