Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Elf Girl - Weekend Realtime Model

S-S
S-S
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
S-S polycounter lvl 18
Hi Again!

- Finished UV mapping my war beast model, and took a break.
- I continued one of my WIP characters from 3 months ago, i had mesh done but no texture...

- I wanted to try to do a female MMO game character, i especially like korean games which have high quality and mix euro/anime design. Maybe someone can guess what game i imitated smile.gif.
- I apologize for failing to do anything but stereotype female proportions smile.gif

- 256x256 for hair (+alpha)
- 512x512 for body and face
- 128x64 for sword
- 3900 tris, flat eyes, but eyelids and mouth can be closed
- Mesh is mostly seft illuminated and no shadows in images
- No lightmap yet, i was going to do one but not sure anymore.

- I haven't had time to do hand painted textures lately, something which i would like a lot more frown.gif

CnC welcome!

20050611_elf_girl_01_sml.jpg

20050611_elf_girl_02_sml.jpg

Replies

• KMan
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Nice ss. Reminds me of the elves from lineage2.

I like that there is no distortion from the front and side with the eyes. yay!
  • King-Vitaman
    Offline / Send Message
    King-Vitaman polycounter lvl 18
    Lovely model. I think it would be alot better if the clevage were at least partially modelled though, its easy to tell that it is just 2d cleavage, and that is where my eye is drawn. Seems like the poly-budget should have allowed for it. Great model anyway though, good job, no more crits.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool. Face is reminding me of Liz Hurley a bit...

I agree with King-Vitamin on the cleavage crit, it does look very odd from the side angle render.

Overall excellent work, the model seems good and the texture is very clean and nicely styled. I love the proportions.

I'd maybe suggest you try increasing the contrast and maybe darkening the texture overall, at the moment it's looking a little too bright to me.

MoP
  • Erol
    Offline / Send Message
    Erol polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty! Nice work.
  • Renaud Galand
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    exellent work, reminds me the lineage2 style. Can we see the flats? smile.gif

Thx

- Renaud
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Wonderful work. Great face too. Looks like final fantasy only a more realistic face.
  • JKMakowka
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Still looking for work? shocked.gif

That quality and speed should get you a job by yesterday confused.gif

I like it a lot! Actually I think she is based on Jennifer Garner right?
  • StrangeFate
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    If i had to nitpick i'd probably say that the ears have too much contrast compared to the rest of the skin. If the model is mirrored, there should be a row of polygons going over the center of her head, if so, i'd pull up the vertices on the top of the head. It's flat right now, makes it look like she is carrying an invisible box on her head.
    I also don't like people with swords AND high heels, but that's a personal thing.

She's very cute.
  • squatedbug
    Offline / Send Message
    squatedbug polycounter lvl 18
    I like this very much, looks very solid, but there some minor nitpicks.

The texture looks very clean, almost clinical. I guess this whole elvish thing has to have a 'perfect and beautiful' vibe, but somehow, I don't know, it just looks to pefect. No slight discolorations or little imperfections from wear and tear.
    It's not really a crit, more of a personal thing.

Second, I can hardly make out the difference in materials, everything is textured in the same way. I can't really make out the metals, silk, cloth or leather (if there are any of these. Playing with contrasts, shininess or patterns (weave, leathery creases) really would add more depth to this texture.

So, it's good work, model itself looks very good, but I think the texture could benefit from just that little 'extra oomph'. laugh.gif
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    LOVE IT!

can we see a texture map, old bean? and perhaps a wireframe while your at it. it's fantastic, and I think it's profesional quality... that is, if your not already a pro.
  • Josh_Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    yeah s-s, Ive loved everything you have pimped so far. My only crits are the ones already mentioned, but of thos crits my top one would be the 2d cleavage. She's hot though man.
  • JKim3
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Well, looks great. Not much to add that already hasn't been said except that the bridge of the nose looks really wide from the front.

Would it be possible to get a close-up of the hair texture? Would be curious to see how you went about it.
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Unless the light source is in front of her I'd say the area between the boobs should receive some shadows.
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    yes, the cleavage is wrong.
    she should be topless :P~

joking, good work.
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Very, very nice as usual man. I prefer this to your photosourced girly. But thats just a style choice I guess.
    I agree with the crit about the cleavage. Get more polys in dem boobies!
    And seriously, how hard exactly are you looking for work and where man? I can't believe youre not hired yet.
  • S-S
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    - Hi! just woke up and did some changes - thanks for everyone pointing out errors!

- I darkened the lighting and adjusted contrast of different texture elements a bit. Even though the mesh was mostly self illuminated, old lights were way over 1, which caused texture brightness partially.

- Breasts are now "3d" - It might not be that obvious in the new image, but anyway - it is more obvious in top down view smile.gif - I also turner string thingy into alpha as hair texture had a lot of free space.

- BTW i checked the polybudget, i remembered wrong - this model has 3700 polys. Don't know if i had some old part selected when i last time checked polybudget meter...

- Will post more info later, too many hours without food, gotta go out! smile.gif
    20050612_elf_girl_01.jpg
  • Cubik
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    A somewhat normaly proportioned MMO character?? The face looks great (the nose lacks "extrudes" for the nostrils tho) but I feel that the body texture is a little too underdetailed and clean(the belt and the strings for her bodice looks cool) which however might be the look you were after. The folds on the back of the cloth that hanging from her ass (right were the UV-map is mirroed) looks too thin and maybe they hangs too much downward.
  • fiart
    Offline / Send Message
    fiart polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet charater. The only parts that I think need more work are the stockings and arms(the grey parts) I think you could add more details in there.
    Good work.
  • S-S
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    - I just updated/replaced the last image smile.gif

KMan:
    - Yep smile.gif

poopinmymouth:
    - Thanks. I checked your website/tutorials a while ago. Found help for hair painting smile.gif

MoP:
    - I darkened texture a bit. I also made lights less bright

JKMakowka:
    - Well, i have a feeling that i might start seaching job/freelance job outside Finland...

"Jennifer Garner right?"
    - Umm. I painted it in PS. No photo or anything like that for reference.

StrangeFate:
    - Yes, i agree on ear contrast, but then again, i tried to lower contrast in ears a couple of times and it didn't look good. Maybe i have to work more on ears.

"invisible box on her head"
    - Fixed that, just coudn't see that last night smile.gif - Have to take a break from 3d today!

JKim3:
    - I painted streaks on top of yellowish tone, with single pixel brush in "final" texture resolution. Then smudge, and then again transparent single pixel strokes. I used UVs as guide in multiply mode.

squatedbug:
    - Will work more on textures generally, like i said, i need more practice smile.gif

ghost_rider:
    - Yes, i hope i corrected that smile.gif

Cubik,fiart:
    - I partially agree about more small detail. This is something i try to work on more... besides that i only used PS no 3dpaint, so adding small detail gets bit hard, as it should be very precisely placed.

Daz:
    - Just added more polys there smile.gif
  • John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    well aren't you just a wonderful, wonderful person.

i like it smile.gif
  • Badge
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    man they look great. ive played L2 and that could definetly fit into the game, so thats saying a lot.

you should do an orc now tongue.gif
  • StrangeFate
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry to bug again, the shadow on the inner side of the breasts is quite large now and with the grayish tone it has it looks dirty.
    I'd either get reid of the shadow since the breasts are now 3D! or tone them down and give them a more reddish color/warm color that goes better with the skintone.
  • thinsoldier
    Offline / Send Message
    thinsoldier polycounter lvl 18
    can we see the wires, uv's and texture flats?
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    she's gorgeous smile.gif

only small comment would be to add some kind of 'pop' color, its mainly a stylistic thing, but maybe somethin to think about.

you could maybe beef up the saturated shadow on her abdomen (sides), juuuuuuuuuuuuust a little bit.
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    that's great work. kinda looks like Cameron Diaz. especially the eyes, which really stand out. well done.
  • b1ll
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    AH!, thats cool, lately you have been producing some Nice stuff.

I would suggest adding smaller line of detail to make the element seem appart from each other? Smaller highlight and shadow.

Cool.
    b1ll
  • JO420
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    id do her,err.. i mean nice
  • Etienne
    Offline / Send Message
    Etienne polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet.
    What are you plans with this model?

Etienne

PS: Mmmm Elves

Mmmm Dark-Elves?
  • S-S
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    ElysiumGX

Heh! Thanks!

b1ll:
    Yes, that is something i have to do more - as you probably noticed, i painted texture in higher res :/

Etienne:
    - Dunno what the plans are smile.gif - I will polish her and fix some faults and will create skeleton setup...

- BTW I already started new model! - used whole day into it.

- It's a movie/realworld person - Wanted to test creating likeness of real person - managed to model head+body, and did UVs and paint basic textures today - It's not finished but will post images tomorrow!
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Sweet! you fixed the 2-d cleavage! It looks great and would fit right into any fantasy you would care to huck it into.

I still kindof wonder how her braw-thing stays up like that. Must be a tight fit or something.
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a corset, these things actually have steel plates in them. Also they can lead to severe inner injuries because they're worn VERY tight, squeezing your organs in a way that's not healthy.
  • Wrath
    Offline / Send Message
    Wrath polycounter lvl 18
    I personally think she's a bit hippy for an elf. But otherswise a very pretty model.
  • S-S
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    - Hi again!
    - Today i created skeleton and did some weighting.
    - Some minor fixes here and there in texture
    - I also updated mesh a lot - there were details which were never seen, i removed them as they would have caused problems with weighting. I also straighted edge loops in limbs.

20050619_elf_girl_01.jpg
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    Apropos edgeloops, you still haven't posted any wires tongue.gif.
  • KMan
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, but can she do the splits? :P
  • JKMakowka
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    call me a geek, but the second pose is my new wallpaper (atleast for a while wink.gif )

Great work... wires would be nice to see.
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Agreed, I'd like to see your poly flow so I can see why your're getting such a sucessful rig going on there. Kindof struggling with the whole weighting thing myself.
  • EarthQuake
    This is a fantastic model/texture. The only thing i can crit is the low-res sword looks out of place with everything else so crisp.
  • Isis' Minion
    Offline / Send Message
    Isis' Minion polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Agreed, I'd like to see your poly flow so I can see why your're getting such a sucessful rig going on there. Kindof struggling with the whole weighting thing myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seconded.

Nice model, the only thing that looks a bit weird to me is the ears...they seem rather stiff.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
  • skrubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    skrubbles polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Nice model, the only thing that looks a bit weird to me is the ears...they seem rather stiff.

[/ QUOTE ]

true, they look kinda stiff but I like 'em smile.gif plus its not like they'll be droopy or anything like dog ears... alot of pointy elf ears appears like the ones in his mesh.

Oh, and I also wanna see your sssexy wires... Nut'n like studying topology from good models smile.gif
  • S-S
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    JKMakowka:
    - Nice! smile.gif

Makkon:
    Weighting is not that hard, just use some time with only two bones, and see how things work. If you use 3dsmax and skin, just limit the weighting into 4 bones to avoid additional problems.
    - Weight vertices to only minimum amount of bones. Most of the times blend two bones. See what bones deform the skin in different areas in real life, and use that as starting point.
    - There is nothing special about mesh, it's mostly just tube like structure. smile.gif
  • pogonip
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    S-S any chance of you releasing the sdk this is another model i'd like to texture maybe a little diffrently then you have but i'd be fun .
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Ah, thanks S-S. That's a good Idea. I guess placement of the bone has a bit to do with it, right?
  • Isis' Minion
    Offline / Send Message
    Isis' Minion polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

true, they look kinda stiff but I like 'em smile.gif plus its not like they'll be droopy or anything like dog ears... alot of pointy elf ears appears like the ones in his mesh.

Oh, and I also wanna see your sssexy wires... Nut'n like studying topology from good models smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, i didnt mean that they should be hanging down, but the ears are pretty straight...i think a bit of a curve would make them look more organic, but that might just be personal preference smile.gif
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Wires!!

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

what scott said. flats wouldn't hurt either! tongue.gif
  • ~SwIfTaSsAsIn~
    Offline / Send Message
    ~SwIfTaSsAsIn~ polycounter lvl 18
    =O *jaw drops* wow, to believe it or not, i actually wanted to make lineage 2 characters and weapons 4 cs 1.6. i had started to make an elven chic, not to long ago, like yours xcept in a different outfit, but all i can say is that urs makes mine look like crap; seeing as ive only been modeling 4 about a year and a half + im only 14. oh yeh heres a question, wats this model 4 anyway, is it for a game of some sort or just for showing off. dusent really matta, it looks so good anyway. i was wondering if u could send me that or put it up somewhere for downloading. if u could that would be very much appriciated, if its finished that is.
  • RazorBladder
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    hehe, nice to see some who are/were lineage 2 players smile.gif
    The Elf chick rocks and utterly reaks with lineage 2 texture goodness :]
    Loving it completely, the low-res texture on the sword does seem to take away from the overal quality of the model.
  • Sqweebo
    Offline / Send Message
    Sqweebo polycounter lvl 18
    wow, extremely nice, an elven shield would complete her,a buckler maybe