Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Oh nos~! A Samurai and the lost Ninja Turtle.

calbar
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
calbar polycounter lvl 18
Here's some crap I finished the other day crazy.gif.

Actually, I'm kind of proud of it I suppose - turned out alright methinks. The samurai was done for a freelance job, though they backed out on me so he's going on my site now, and the animation character was done last year while I was still in school (I was still learning blush.gif) - my first and only "high poly" character. You'll notice his head on my demo reel; he's always had a body, but I only got around to giving him a facial rig. However, now that Kyle Wood was nice enough to give him a worthy riggin' I put him up on my site as well. Oh yeah, and he's not a ninja turtle, I just think he looks like.. thier cousin or something.

Matsumura: 7700 tris, 1024 Color Map
matsumura_shaded.jpg
matsumura_close.jpg

Animation Character
animchar_shaded.jpganimchar_wirehigh.jpg

My site is in my sig for additional shots and what not.

Replies

• MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    wow, this samurai is amazing, such rich colors, i love it. the second char looks pretty good, but the lack of nose makes him look a bit funny.
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    I recognize your animation character from your reel you posted a little while back. How goes the job hunt? You definitely got very solid work.
  • fiart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fiart polycounter lvl 18
    Uou did a great work with the samurai texture, I really like it.I think the shoulders should be bigger, maybe is the perspective but he looks like he has a small chest.
    Good work
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    The Samurai looks pretty good smile.gif
  • squatedbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    squatedbug polycounter lvl 18
    I like it very much, the texturing style you have going is very good. Nicely vibrant and a bit stylized, I dig that.
    As for the highpoly model, the muscles in his chest/stomach area are done relly well. Hats off.
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    you tried to fool me!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texturing looks good but its hard to tell where all those 7700 tris went, and his stance to me looks very boring throwing off the overal good quality of the work.
  • calbar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    calbar polycounter lvl 18
    Hahaha, sorry 3DGuy wink.gif. I was wondering if I'd get that response :P.

Anyway, thanks for the compliments guys. They wanted the character around 8000 tris, so they went towards anything and everything that effected the silhouette; some more subtle than others. Wires on my site if you're interested.

As for the pose, I agree - if you look at my site I try to slap a simple rig into all my characters to achieve a more interesting, "non-default" pose. But the samurai had too many little pieces to him that it felt as if a simple rig wouldn't cut it. If he ever does get a decent rig, I'll definately pose him and update the shots.

As for work, I'm still looking for my break into the industry. And the freelance has sucked :P. Keepin' at it though - doing some animation work now.

Thanks for the feeback smile.gif.