Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

2D Superheroes

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Wrath polycounter lvl 18
Being the City of Heroes junkie that I am, I've opted to do some drawings of various players heros in the game. I haven't seriously drawn anything for over 5 years, and I've never claimed to be a great 2D artist, so keep this in mind before you rip me apart.

Dawn Maiden's one of my toons
DawnMaiden.jpg

And Feral Kat belongs to someone else
FeralKat.jpg

Still trying to get the hang of this wacom thingy, I don't get the opprotunity to use it that often, so about the time I get used to it I stop using it for a year or 2. So far, this has been a blast working on these and it's been a great, if not painful, experience of discovering methods that work and don't work.

Replies

• poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    REally nice drawings. Great sense of mass and form. I really dig Dawn's Maiden. Her expression is particularly nice, it has a nice friendly look.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    NICE OUTFIT! corset and suspenders!

both great pix
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    I think you've passed the "can draw good" test with flying colors. These look great, actually, nice figures and comic-style colors.

If you want a constructive crit, I'd say that Dawn Maiden's arms need a little work. Her left arm seems to be attached to her shoulder at the wrong angle, it needs to move up. The right arm is better, but I think the cuff needs to be more rounded, so that the main part of her arm will look cylindrical. Same could be said of the left cuff, also. That would help the depth effect.

Looks like your skills haven't degraded much in five years!

/jzero
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love em! Keep at it, if this is what you can draw with long breaks imagine what you can do if you don't stall for so long next time?
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Not bad, has a very early 90s feel to them. Only crit would be to sharpen up the inks, but then I used to be a comic book inker,and tend to notice those things. The figure work is Sexy and that is what it needs to be, ya done good. Keep at it.

Scott
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome Wrath, if i get you some shots of "the GayRage" and "the furious grubb" will you draw them up?
  • Wrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wrath polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I love em! Keep at it, if this is what you can draw with long breaks imagine what you can do if you don't stall for so long next time?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't any better before, in fact I'd say this is the best drawing I've done to date. Although I won't post the 1st attempt at Dawn I did...it was pretty damn terrible.

My problem with drawing and painting has been a lack of patience. I know what to do and how to do it, its just the tediousness of getting there that does me in. If I can stay interested in something and keep at it, I feel I can get good results.

So far, this has been a real blast. I think I've gotten over the stigma of drawing in a comic book style as being inferior art and now I'm back to just enjoying it. Maybe I can stay interested in it long enough to actually learn the techniques in doing it well.
  • Wrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wrath polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Not bad, has a very early 90s feel to them. Only crit would be to sharpen up the inks, but then I used to be a comic book inker,and tend to notice those things. The figure work is Sexy and that is what it needs to be, ya done good. Keep at it.

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Hah...early 90s was exactly the peak of my comic book reading days. I was really big into XMen/Excalibur with Silvestri, Jim Lee, Arthur Adams, Alan Davis, and all those guys.

Nowadays, I really love Alex Ross's stuff. J. Scott Campbell & Terry Dodson are up there. It amazes me to see how far the medium has come.

I fought and fought and fought with the inking on these. Some of it's me trying to acclimate to a wacom pen after decades of nigh exclusive mouse use, but most of it's just me not having a clue what I'm doing. Each of these took me 8-12 hours of solid work, I can't imagine doing a monthly or bi-weekly series.

Would you reccomend any must have resources for doing this type of work Scott? I've got oodles of anatomy books, but nothing really specific to drawing in a comic book style.
  • Wrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wrath polycounter lvl 18
    God...47 posts from me. Shameful. I should spam the forums more often
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    really cool ones smile.gif

as I used to be a CoH addict aswell, I really like to see that kind of art around smile.gif
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Feral Kat has my vote ;p
    I think you may have just improved upon the CoH style somewhat, really diggin it.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Actually I have a comic book inking tutorial on my Website. it's abit old but stll usefull, though not as useful to the "ClassiC' image ink styles.
    http://www.rdwarf.com/ruggels

Also there are two booksyou need to take a look at, called "The Art of Comic Book Inking". Links are provided on my site as well.

Hope this helps.

I applaud the Alan davis influence, because his stuff hasn't "Dated" as much as some of the other work. But the other suggestions may be to ink with Traditional Media to get used to the style, and the good traditional media to use have gotten cheap thanks to the Japanese. But other thinga to get that "feeling would be to include some "strict" perspective shots in your cmpositios. "Unintentionaly sexy" poses for the female characters in action, and maybe an insanely detaled Robot, here or there. But I think you have most of the basics down. Fewer lines on the females to denote "ripped" muscle though, as it tends to age them a little. More is less with females and playing with the volumes and silouettes more, rather than linework wil give you a lot more bang for the buck.

Scott
  • Wrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wrath polycounter lvl 18
    Have a new one done...

BadMamaJama.jpg

Inking shiny stuff is hard.
  • Arco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arco polycounter lvl 18
    I love it! Great stuff. I have always liked superhero bio type pics, reeks of cool.

I did this guy years ago now as a poster for my fathers work (HSBC)

captain!.jpg
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    ok what did he just wam ?? strategiclly placed wham conceals, is he really captain tripod in disguise?? smile.gif
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    ROFL ARCO

It may be me with a sick mind but I find that wallop past the crotch a big disturbing, especially if that B was an F, especially combined with the phrase "Lets see some action!". :P
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Nice ones Wrath, I saw your post about this on the CoH boards, too. Maybe I should get into doing some of this too. It's been a while not doing any non-texture paintings. You've inspired me to do some my friends characters.