Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

2 hi poly birds / 1 stone

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
resumewip01.jpg

I'm working on making a new resume section for my web, in hi poly. I figure its a good way to tidy up my old resume
and also to demonstrate to the people that have asked what standard of detail we are looking for at Epic when judging potential hires.

It's still very much a WIP, I'm about 4 or 5 hours in so far.

r.

Replies

• gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    great stuff, ror, thanks for giving us the wip. it'll be twice as enjoyable to watch it progress to the polish that we know we can expect from your work smile.gif not to mention a nice update to your site.
  • ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Hot damn that's sexy!
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    I think the standerd of detail question is easy... Look at what ID made for Doom 3 ... guess that's hard to put into terms of raw art but really if they are asking that question about qulity level more then likely they are not at that level . Anyways that looks awesome what program do you use for high poly modeling ??
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    You should do a tut on how you made the new interface smile.gif

I like it so far.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    What happened to the birds and stone?
  • Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
    I think wires could explain the level of detail better.
    cool idea tho
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Hell yeah! I'd wear that belt buckle! =D
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    hahahhaha, Gwot.

Beauty stuff, Ror!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Great! The subtle shadowing, lighting and material setup really put the piece togeter ontop of a sharp modelling job. Yay!

Now make these rollovers!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    that is beautiful
  • DarthRevanII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthRevanII polycounter lvl 18
    so original and creative...so obvious...so PAINFULLY obvious to do, and yet ive never seen anyone do it... >_<

looking f'ing awesome though bro wink.gif great job, you need to get some sort of colored lighting into it though, that would be badass. Some sort of "tube light" on the edge or something would be crazy looking
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Nice render, I liked how Pete showed us his method of pimping his stuff at GDC, it was very informative, and really helps show off high poly stuff.

For anyone interested in how to get that sort of render, here is a tutorial that explains it pretty well.

http://everflow.com/support/tutorials/AO/Everflow_AmbientOcclusion1.html

The benefits are that you only have to render the slow occlusion pass once, and as long as you don't move your camera, you can then make much faster plain spot light renders and tweak your spot colors and intensities till you get the result you want, and then just put that under the occlusion layer in photoshop. Works like a champ.

Hah, didn't mean to hijack your thread, just though I'd share this really cool rendering technique.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    impressive Rorshach u guys at epic are indeed very talented ! what software dop you use to make that ? could you plz show us a wireframe with some close ups ?

keep at it !
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    That's a really nice use of the blue light to pull the 3d aspect out a bit. It's got a sence of depth with the cable/poles behind the links, they add to the scene and arent lost as they could so easily be.

Now, since everyone is being nice, I'll pick a fault - the top ring looks very plain under the clamps. Perhaps it's because it reminds me of Stargate (I'm not Tubboy in disguise) that I expect some level of detail in it.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wires1.jpg

A lot of the shapes I beging simply by making a spline and then applying the Bevel modifier as you see here or the shell modifier.
    Also you can see I'm using the material Poop mentions and that I make heavy use of the layers as when things get heavier
    later I will rely on being able to quickly select sections through the layers without having to 'fish' around in the
    scene directly. Its also a good way to avoid slowdown if you
    can hide and freeze sections easily.

wires2.jpg

Bevelled splines again , then I just added detail and modelled it out some more and used smoothing groups rather than sub dividing

wires3.jpg

A big lazy turbosmooth at 2 on this with a couple of extra constraint lines to define the sharper curves. nothing complicated here either.

wires4.jpg

This is the only shape that took a little more effort.
    one I extruded part of the circular base onto a cloned object I shaped it, beveled , then extruded another part of the extruded mesh onto another cloned object, shaped it and joined them back together once i added constraint lines.

Mostly I just rely on csslide to control my edgeloops in max, this can be downloaded as scriptspot.

wires5.jpg

Just a shot of the wires.

I think you can see from this that theres a lot of stuff thats just floating, it doesnt need to be anything else for something like this, theres no need for everything to fit snugly together.

Rick: Yes, that areas still plain, I do have a surplus of plans though. The idea behind this piece is that it will represent
    the overload on my imagination and I'll demonstrate this through a series of glowing symbols in each of the cylinders clamps that lead into small clamps that attach
    into the eyeball in the center.

I'm going to take the eyeball into Zbrush to add veins and stuff to it and I'll be detailing out the pipes to dangle down under the panelling.

Once thats dont I'll make a bolt pass and then I'll be done with sharing how I did it and I'll go on to make the side piece
    that says my name and attachs to the main piece.

Thanks for the encouragement folks and no I dont mind the hijack poop.

r.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    for what basically is a combination of basic shapes (dont take that the wrong way), you've made a wonderfully *useful* piece of modelling
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    wow, that's a lushious piece of art considering the efficient use of basic shapes smirk.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    if thats going to be a menu on a website, you might want to consider making the options in a more readable font, considering that they are going to be smaller than the image posted.

remember it should be about clarity and skill, not just bells and whistles! wink.gif

DarthRevanII : because everyone stopped using rendered graphics for menus on websites about 5 years ago, no offence to this work but it is a rather dated, and clumsy way of presenting things, I should know... my first website went about it in the same fashion!! laugh.gif
  • Omar_Nabiev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Omar_Nabiev polycounter lvl 18
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    wow, that's a lushious piece of art considering the efficient use of basic shapes smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Lushious yes but I wouldn't call it efficient. Its drowning in wasted polys but who cares it's not like its for a game. The and all those polys might only add a few minutes to the render time if does some really crazy rendering with it. It's really nice looking and I really do like it but the poly-miser in me cringes every time I see wasted polys.

I think you should model in some lights on the plaques, and have the lights kick on when you mouse over. It's cliche but if you do it right it could be cool.

I personally think you should render it out and paint over it like it was a concept. with feintly visible guide lines running off from some of the edges.

Nice work Ror, you can definitly tell where you work =P Keep the goodness coming!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    this wooks vewy familiar poly145.gif
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    the only wasted polygons in high poly are invisible ones! HA!
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    thread revival gogo (atleast it was from this year)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Looks cool.

You might like to add the Javascript bumped-spotlight effect.
    http://javaboutique.internet.com/Bumpy/
    Looks great when you give it good source art. Pacific Coast Power & Light used to have a good one on their site (now gone).
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    wow! will we be seeing this high poly sign somewhere in UT2007 laugh.gif Very detailed for a website menu, I would like to see it real-time animated too, maybe in flash.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOL ineffcient high poly model, that shit cracks me up.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'd forgotten about this one, I didn't go much further and then I got distracted. I've been working on a simple tech support to release for people to practise texturing in next gen style, maybe that will satisfy you Per!

If not, people can always look at the Gears of War and UT7 environments when they come out to see what I've been up to... still, nice of you to be concerned about people knowing what I'm capable of!

r.