• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • wunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wunder polycounter lvl 18
    overall i like it alot, but im worried about the silhouette. id suggest giving the different armor pieces more dimension like his right shoulder pad.

also, and youre probably planning this, adding armor over the rest of his body would be good smile.gif

lookin good!
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    wunder - he cant add more armour, otherwise it wouldn't be Dredd. The belt with buckle and holster and ammo would break the waist up a tad, and I think he was sometime drawn with a nightstick in his boot.

I love the chin!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awsome model, a tad on the high end for polys but all together a pretty cool model. I agree with rick a belt would be a great addition.

wow what a chin, on second thought that chin might need some work.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WEll, if he's building dredd he has no chice in building the belt and badge.

The chin is perfect for Ezquerra.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The chin is definitly taken from Carlos Ezquerra's work, but the body isn't. He always drew Dread with overly broad shoulders, a much slimmer waist and a pretty long torso. I really don't see those characteristics coming thru, except for the chin... It might be easier to rework the chin than the rest of the model? Unless he is doing a mix and match? But I can't pick up on what artist the body is modeled after?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    The main reference I'm using is the awesome batman/judge dredd comic Die Laughing, and I'm leaning towards Jim Murray's version rather than Fabrys, but I'm also of course looking at Esquerras work. I dont have any scans of the die laughing Dredd, I'll have a look for some pics. Henry Flint's Dredd also has a normal muscular body and massive chin.

dredd2icon.gif

edit: heres the cover:
    http://www.2000adonline.com/functions/cover.php?choice=batman4&Comic=specials
    although he doesn't always seem to have that long a torso, I might still lengthen and thin it a bit
    edit2:
    http://www.2000adonline.com/functions/cover.php?choice=1109&Comic=2000ad
    hm just noticed my pouches look a bit weedy
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    rick: I think his gun actually holsters in his boot! pretty silly if you ask me, but I'll model it in. I'll make his daystick too and maybe some cuffs.

At the moment it is pretty poly-wasteful, I haven't done any optimising yet, I'm going to do that next and consolidate some of the free-floating geometry. I've tweaked the proportions a bit and I think the longer torso definately looks better, cheers vig

I'm trying to make him as I wish Rebellion had in Dredd Vs Death, although I know they had a much tighter poly budget

dredd3icon.gif
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    really nice, but I thought he had a much narrower waist. Lean like a cowboy, not beefy like an NFL player. but the details are all there, and look good. Always Partial to Brian Bolland's version.

Scott
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    rooster you cock!
    nice job smile.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott - it does depend on the artist. Ezquerra and Bolland had the John Wayne Look. Some of the McMahon stuff was way out...

Rooster - I've even seen him drawn with twin hip holsters, but that was MANY MANY years ago.

it's looking so much better, a top model.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    Scott: thanks man, aye the waist could maybe be thinner but as Rick says it depends on who's drawing him. I'll try it and see if it looks better

steady you cock! oh it doesn't quite work the same laugh.gif

rick: thanks, if you see anything that looks like it could still do with attention let me know, as I want to get it just right before UVing. The chin could still do with a bit of work maybe (but it ain't getting any smaller :]]) and I just know if I convert it to edit mesh theres going to be a ton of edges I notice need turning

I've mainly been tweaking the mesh now, merging bits etc so theres no major visual changes, but here's where I'm at on the lawgiver mkII (all those unnecessary polys will go).
    lawgiver.gif
    man the handle sucks, I'll fix that when I've freed up some polys from Dredd