Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Realtime Character - Girl

S-S
S-S
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
S-S polycounter lvl 18
- Hi! - Took a break from 3d for two weeks. Still looking 3d jobs here in finland, but not looking too good frown.gif

- I did a base mesh for medium res character (3000-4000tris), and wanted to test it (still working on my "war beast" model's UVs)
- I will post another model sometime soon, which is also using the same basemesh!

- I grabbed some girl photos from 3dsk and then created front and side view from photos, which i then used as reference.
- Texture was based on photos which i continued by painting in photoshop. I will fix some things later.
- One 1024 texture, 128x256 for hair alpha and teeth. Rotating eyes, movable teeth and tongue.
- I didn't want too much painted lighting in textures.Rendered with 75% self illuminated material.
- I also made some simple morphs to test texture/uvs for animation. full body view has slightly older texture, that's why lips look a bit distorted.

20050604_char1_01.jpg

20050604_char1_02.jpg

CnC welcome!

Replies

• _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    wow, the stuff does look great. can we maybe get some wireframe shots plus maps? Im curious how you managed the let her face look so incredibly "without transition". Maybe some closeups too smile.gif?
  • S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    _Shimmer:

- Thanks, (btw i dig your work!) Gotta take a break today, have been trying to work less lately smile.gif Will post more images later!

- BTW, this model is 3995 tris, forgot to mention it smile.gif
    - Poly density is higher in upper body and in head.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    hey S-S

This is some amazing work,some of the best photo sourcing ive seen since...well seen lol

as shimmer said,wires and flats please.

oh and you can't get a job?
    my hopes have taken a bashing again thanks to you,haha smile.gif.

john
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice work S-S. Somehow the jeans feel a little more obviously photosourced than the rest of her, and in front view theres something funky about her left eyeshape perhaps? Also I would recommend editing out the hi-lights in the eyes to be simpler ( perhaps just one central one? ). There's always that danger that they look 'stuck on'. But really good quality stuff.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    The clothes-skin transition looks a bit unnatural but otherwise damn good. But why are her thumbs bent outwards like that?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Very good work overall, I especially like the face. As Daz says, the highlights on the eyes should really be just a central "top down" highlight so it's not so obvious that they're mirrored.

Also agree with Daz on the jeans photosource comment, they do look more obviously photosourced than the rest of her (and also appear to have more depth and contrast than everything else, so they look a little out of place).

The shadow from her jeans to the feet looks really fake... looks like an outline - try varying the width of the shadow so that it's hardly there on the top of the foot, and more evident at the sides.

Not sure why the end of her ponytail is aimed back in towards the head - it wouldn't do that unless there was a strong wind behind her, or she was wearing a lot of hair gel!

Agreed with KDR_11k on the thumb, that does look very weird in that position, although I guess it'll be fine when rigged.

Her shirt seems to lack the depth and realism of the rest of the texture.

Seeing a wireframe of the mesh would be cool ...

Very nice work overall though, really solid and high quality!

Keep up the good stuff!

MoP
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    2 things: one can we have a butt shot? two, can i get her number? laugh.gif
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    really sweet man, that head would not look out of place in hl2
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Really great work.

Sundance, get a life.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome! I love the texture work, and the proportions are perfect! Her feet look a little chunky, but I'm not complaining. Excellent character. Butt shot? :P
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    That looks great! Though I agree with MoP about the shirt though. Compared to the jeans it looks very plain.

Her ears also look a little strange to me. They look like they never fully grew, and she was left with small smooth malformed ears.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Wow hot...

Nice job photosourcing. I agree that the jeans look a little out of place, but I think it's the sharpness that is hurting it the most.
  • S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    - Thanks for comments and pointing out strange things!
    - I did some tweak here and there, added shading to shirt... also moved eye specular spot, lightened jaw shading

20050605_char1_01.jpg
  • S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    Daz:
    - Thanks! - Yep, i know, only thing i could think of was removal of low frequency lighting created by folds and then modeling wrinkles/folds with geometry... then again, mesh should be a lot more detailed and i wasn't going to add more detail smile.gif
    - I tested this, and it made jeans look flat, if there is no geometry, maybe less contrast would work, have to test it later

- Yes, there might be something in eyes, even though they should be identical, shading does suffer a bit from the fact, that i had to push center inside to make eyeballs fit into sockets...

MoP:
    - Thanks for comments! - I hope you notice the changes i made smile.gif

rooster:
    - Eh smile.gif Head only wouldn't help a lot wink.gif
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    THis is awsome. Very high quality. no crits, I would just love to see the flats and wires and learn from you man.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    she's got some rather chubby wrists and very little translation from arm to hand. Aside from that, its a damn nice piece of work.
  • flachdrache
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flachdrache polycounter lvl 18
    ... or maxpayne 3. smile.gif
    Can`t really crit - but a little more of shadows in the skin (between shirt and trousers)?
    Beautiful work - that lowpoly thing makes cute feet. laugh.gif
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice Sami! It may only be the jpg compression of your shots but they look a little blurry for 1024. Perhaps increasing the contrast/sharpening in selected areas would help, like the edges around the eyes for instance. The front of the jeans look fine but as you move up to the buttons and the belt loops it starts blurring out.

Have you considered leaving Finland for work? You should try Dice, they're just a ferry ride away or a 30 min plane ride to Stockholm(depending on where in Finland you are ofcourse).

-okkun
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Looks awesome probebly one of thee best and most realistic low poly realistic characters I have seen including those in Half Life 2 .. nice work ! The expressions on the face are very nice also...

edit * Yeah a wire would be nice that head is flawless for a realtime character . I'd love to see what you could do trying to make a Next Gen character with say 3 times the poly budget I mean with less of an edgy silohette you could probebly put her next to a Final fantasy the movie character..just goes to show what excellent UV+texture job can do for a low poly model . laugh.gif
  • S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    - Thanks for comments smile.gif - I will reply tomorrow, gotta sleep, here is another update with some changes

20050606_char1_02.jpg
  • dUb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dUb polycounter lvl 18
    Man, that looks so good!
    It's the most realistic low poly model I've ever seen.

I haven't posted anything on these boards in AGES, but I felt the need to reply to this. As I said, it looks GREAT, except for a couple of things:
    - the shadow underneath her jaw/chin, on her neck, is suddenly a bit too dark. There's no smooth transition as there was in the first renders. It's like there's a darker smudge or something.
    - The thumbs are better, but still not as they should be. The top of the thumb, where the nail is, should point more to the body, rather than away from it. Just check your own hands in the mirror.
    - The wrists aren't defined enough/too thick. Again, check in the mirror.

If these minor errors are fixed, it will rock even more!
  • iMag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iMag polycounter lvl 18
    Some wireframes and texture flats would be nice to see. Along with reference photos.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    [ QUOTE ]

rooster:
    - Eh smile.gif Head only wouldn't help a lot wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I mean her clotes would look out of place 'cos they're all wearing tattered/patched stuff and she looks nice and smart. But I could imagine her face next to some of the other characters. Alyx's best buddy tongue.gif

I really like how its going!
  • S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    - Some very small changes, i think i will leave the mesh/texture as they are for now...
    - I did basic bones/skinning for simple pose when i woke up - i adjusted elbow/hand position a bit, as the arm looked a bit short when skinned...

20050607_char1p_01.jpg
  • S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    ghost_rider:

- Thanks! - There's nothing special about texture. I just kept the lighting relatively light, only face area has more shadows "baked" into texture

flachdrache:
    - Eh eh smile.gif - Will there ever be such game? (after their next game?)
    - Besides that, i asked Remedy/Futuremark for work some time ago, i think i have enough skill to fill at least junior artist's seat, but they hired a friend of one artist frown.gif
    - They visit my/my brothers website regularly, and DL relatively lot images, but they won't hire either of us...

Jackablade:
    - Real girl in photo had thicker wrists, i already made them thinner smile.gif

okkun:
    - Thanks for comments! - I sharpened details a bit, and fixed some missing small parts smile.gif

okkun:
    - Yes, i have been thinking about getting a job from outside Finland (i'm located in Helsinki)
    - I think i'll have to start asking freelance jobs outside Finland as it seems there isn't that many work opportunities here in Finland frown.gif - Payments are ridiculously low, even bus driver gets more money than game artist...

dUb:
    - Thanks for comments! I tweaked the shading under jaw back to what it was, it think it's quite ok now, i think i might do AO/skylight pass for whole character if i need to make lgihting of character suitable for some environment.

rooster:
    - Yep, i knew what you meant smile.gif

pogonip:
    - Yep, i think 4000-6000 poly character are ideal for look and feel of characters, more polys means a lot more time/uv work. Subdivision surfaces make things like shaping face a pain IMO. They create all kinds of problems.
    -I think i would need a lot more time for modeling/texturing if i'm going to make proper hipoly girl, a luxury i don't have frown.gif
    - This means i would have to do that as work, as i have noticed, characters are very time consuming to do - So far no luck here in Finland frown.gif
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Hm, be that as it may, theres still something really irritating me about the wrist area... could it be that the fleshy part on the outer side of the hand (ie not the side with the thumb) is set too far up?
  • Quaggs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quaggs polycounter lvl 18
    I think it might be the way the hand connects to the wrist that is the trouble. Normally the base of the thumb sticks out further than the wrist, I did a little modifying to a pic of your girls hand to show what I mean. the right hand is what I'm thinking should be done.
    handfix.jpg
  • dUb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dUb polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with Quaggs!
  • S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    Quaggs:
    - Thanks and yes, that is kinda correct - girl in photo had that kind of wrist too wink.gif
    - But, i have found this kind of wrist problematic for skin/weighting and setup, that's why i favor simple tube like elbows and wrist - they deform better smile.gif - Or maybe i'm just lazy wink.gif
    - Same goes for forward bending knee and angled elbow - it is bad for charstudio, maybe realistic but a problem unless you build your own custom skeleton...
  • Wrath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wrath polycounter lvl 18
    The jeans look really photo-sourced. Obviously, the whole model is photo-sourced, but the jeans in particular stand out as looking too much like a straight photo slapped onto polygons.

Maybe some more lighting/shading work on them would help?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    nice model!! Amazing job on the face dude.

I have a crit about the textures;

they are nice, but would look better with either bumpmapping or normal mapping to describe the details. At the moment the jeans and tshirt look like jpg's from google image search.
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice photosource. The jeans look like they have too much contrast in comparison to the rest of the texture. Maybe you should try to paint down the strong highlights a on them.:/ Otherwise perfect.

/Palm
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I saw this model a few days back, its totally awsome dude. :thumbsup:
  • Isis' Minion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isis' Minion polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice! I would really love to take a peek at the wires and maybe see her animated. Mostly i'm interested in the wires for the face though, as i am absolutely stunned by how realistic it looks!

Did you make this model for a game (if so, what kind of game) or for practice or for an animated short or maybe something else?

Anyways, great job!
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work. Have you submitted your CV / portfolio to Liquid Development yet? We're not in Finland but we have contract artists all over the globe. I can't promise anything, but I'll pass your web link along to the right people if you are interested.
  • S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    AstroZombie:

- Thanks for tip, i might do that!