Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

steam punk/jap. [h.poly env.]

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
i used a mixture of hand made textures and procedurals. no photos were used. here's the wood:
darkwood_planks.png
i made it with a bunch of verticle strokes and the liquify thing. and some other stuff until it looked happy. then i made boards and desturated parts and overlayed blues to nutrulaize the red.

the base metal started as stretched clouds and blurred noise. then just kept screwing with filters and stuff until i got something i liked. used a contrasted and desaturated version for gloss and spec maps. masked different hues for rust and stamped drips in. i mix and blended procedural shaders until i got something decent. i used the metal textures to make the cement and just kept messing with it until it turned into cement.

i unwrapped the curved wood pieces and the other stuff was sloppy and quick uv maps.

in the most recent stuff, i dicked with lights for too long and played with render effects with in max. there is not advanced lighting in these. afterwards i took the final renders into photoshop and screened a blurred, high contrast version at 30% to get a sunlight glow. here are the most recent renders:
render20a.jpg

render20b.jpg

render20c.jpg

the texturing is really messy and wasteful but it looks good in some areas. it's a class assignment. i'm tired of it but i was able to learn a lot from it.

Replies

• Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Looks great and I'm very very relieved and happy to see that theres still some people capable of understanding that steampunk is not by definition, only victorian.

Really nice work, when do you graduate ?

r.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i graduate this december -_-
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Really good looking stuff, killing, very appealing. I'd love to see what some imaginative lighting and particle effects could add to this scene.

It's a shame for me that you post high work while I'm trying to pimp super low end stuff. laugh.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    That's awesome. I remember viewing progress in the "what are you working on" thread. Great way to blend the genre with a different era.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    ahah $MAD$
    Cool stuff dude, ur kinda good I guess. ahahhhAHAHAHAH

$WIN$$$$
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    That's kickass! Not much more can be said.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Great job on this KP.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    hey killin amazing work man,is there any,small minute chance of seeing any other texture maps?

Also one thing I would do is try and add some wear and tear on the concorete areas namily by the walls around the front steps etc.

But apart from that great job man.

john
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    looking really smart, hats off to you sir smile.gif
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Looks good, KP, I think it could look amazing if you took some more time with the lighting.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    killing this is really really nice. some texture problems here and there but overall its pretty well done. its good you used no photos in the creation of textures - something I need to get into the habbit of doing.

I think, though, that its the lack of overlays that makes it look 'too' clean overall - which takes away from the realism aspect of it.

My favourite part, if you can believe it, are the lamps at the top of the stairs on either side.

laugh.gif
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Nice. The Meiji Period was steampunk defined, come to think about it now.

/jzero
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    make a good GI render of this master piece and it will be my wallaper !
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While im sure its well made and everything, something bugs me about the texturing... I think everything is too saturated and red. I remember seeing the GI renders of this and thinking it looked really good, but these textured renders are significantly less impressive. Some color variation might help here, as well as some variation in the saturation of your surfaces. I usually love the color choices in your work but this is definately an exception.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    Not bad KP.

I really like the idea, and the execution is almost there, but as a scene I think it is far too confusing. When I look at the renders I have no idea where I should be looking, and my eyes wander over the image without finding any main point of focus.

I cant help but get the feeling that you needed to hit the deadline and wanted to be finished with the assignment, because I think you are talented and have some impressive work, but this scene isn't as high quality as the other stuff we have seen you do.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Agreed with Pseudo - the scene is just too busy. Although as cholden and doc_rob said, some extra time on the lighting would have really made this stand out. I think some nifty lighting would also help solve the busy-ness problem, especially if it was done as a night-time scene.

I really like the style, and the modelling seems great, some very cool details in there ... the texturing doesn't quite do it for me though.

Great work, but I just know that you, of all people, can do better smile.gif
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    i think too that it could look really cool with a more dramatic lighting setup. Get rid of the ambient illumination and have some strong beams in there. There should be tons of nice shadows casted and light beams cutting through the dark areas in the back.
    Need to experiment a bit with having a few lights in there, at least a stronger main one and then 1-3 secondary lights, one week from below and such, just like skin underlights smile.gif

Can give the main light a soft warm yellowish tint for a sun effect and the others a colder blue (typical hollywood, orange on one side of the face, blue on the other) or brownish for the underlight, whatever looks good.

i usually only have the main light, or max. 2 lights casting shadows or gets to busy. Proper specular and gloss adjustements wouldn't hurt either probably. Dunno if you still want to go through all that tho. The mesh itself looks cool.

Also, i'd use radiosity if you're not using it yet, hard to tell atm.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you for all of your comments and input. it's much appreciated! i agree with all of the criticism i've recived thus far, thank you!

the lighting should be better. the texturing should be better. the modeling should also be better. b1ll should most definately be better $$$!!!$$$MADWIN!$$$!1one
    the scene lacks focus, is confusing, and is rushed in areas. all very true in my mind. time is short however, i have two weeks to make a normal mapped low poly version and i have never touched normal maps.

i feel the weakest areas are the foreground and extreme background elements. i will try my best to fix this, i need to start making the low version very soon.

i look forward to move on from this project. when i get the time to work on another enviroment i would liket o have a clearer vision and arrange a more solid foundation before pushing so far into executing the modeling, texturing, and lighting. because i am without a clear conception of what i want, i feel as if i had lost my balance somewhere in the texturing and lighting process and can't start over due to my deadline. confused.gif

thanks again fellow polycount humans. until again!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    yeah, nice stuff dude!

vrrrrr naaiiice
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    Lol SHAME!

b1ll
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, nice work.
  • saturnfive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    saturnfive polycounter lvl 18
    Really nice work. I really like the scene and textures. I agree with Strangefate about the lighting though: it looks ambient lit atm- does it no favours. Although there's plenty there to look at, it's also lacking a focal point and a route for the eye to follow around / into the image. Some strong orange light rays from a setting sun with a bit of bounce would really help to bring all the elements together.