Home General Discussion

Cruch Time

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Frankie polycounter lvl 19
I was wondering out of all the industry people who does cruch time, what it cosists of, what you get back and if you have noticed it getting less or more common over a long period of time.

Replies

• StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    Croch Time socks!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Not an industry person, but I would assume it consists of making up for lost time spent playing WoW and CSS all day instead of WORKING! tongue.giflaugh.gif
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    I dont understand what you are asking for? More opinions on how crunch time sucks?

Its common. Very common. What more is there you want to know? Perhaps you can just search and read the 20 other threads about crunch time.

-Just a thought wink.gif
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    It happens at my company about once every 4 months or so. Usually it's a few 10-14 hour days for a small stretch, or maybe a bit of Saturday work. Not fun, but not terrible. The bosses are usually cool, and buy us lunches/dinners during this time. After it is done, the generally let us shave some hours, or give us surprise 3 day weekend.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    I've never broken a limb, so I've not had any experience of using them.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Do I get a kickback? Yes. I can't say how much, but it's much better than a kick in the nuts. And at the end of San Andreas we got a month off.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    At Volition they feed us lunch and dinner.. and at the end of e3 crunch.. we got a few days off extra which was nice. At the end of projects its a little different. On punisher i got a week off. smile.gif.. ok nothing like a month.. RiiiICK! hehe.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Hey nice typo, you nazi.
  • bmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bmer polycounter lvl 18
    I think the programer are the one doing the most overtime.

In 2 years as a character artist I never realy done big overtime. (you find way to recycle stuff and meet the deadline)

I always feeling bad for the level designer and level artist that stay 4+ hours frown.gif

-bmer
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
    At Ensemble I worked here a year before we had any crunch. Our typical crunch lasts a week, the longest we've crunched so far has been 2 weeks. They cater lunch and dinner for us, and fridays are normal work days (so we only really crunch 4 of the 5 weekdays). We never work weekends.

Its not bad at all, but no crunch is even better.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    crunch time = taking a break at 6pm knowing your day has barely got going
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Everytime I here the words "crunch time" I get so scared that a drop of pee comes out. frown.gif
  • JKim3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKim3 polycounter lvl 18
    Level designer, here. We get meals bought for us and crap like that. There is some work on the weekends, but there have only been about 5 or 6 weekends in the 10 months I've been working here. The other compensation we get is all time after 40 hours a week is converted directly into vacation time. I think I have about 200 hours in the bank. I'll probably take a month off at the end of the project.

I'm usually there for all the crunch periods, staying late with the programmers. It's only at the very end, when all the stability bugs are being worked out that it's only the programmers there.
  • Slayerjerman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slayerjerman polycounter lvl 18
    As a tester on some projects and at MS, we would typically pull 50~65hour weeks for about 3~4weeks straight. Fuck that sucked, great OT pay if your a contractor. The salaried peeps get the shaft tho wink.gif

Typically they sprung for dinner past 7pm and occasionally lunch on the weekends.

I havent worked a day of OT yet since ive been with GPG. God I love not doing crunch time.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    At the end on SanAn we had takeaway meals of our choice on Monday and Friday, and chefs from a local restuarant came in and cooked for us on Wed-Thu. The kitchen was full of food for people that came in at the weekend.
  • JonMurphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JonMurphy polycounter lvl 18
    hmm, normally after a nice bit of crunch I get a P45 and all the time off I can afford.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I only live a few miles away from work, so when i do have to do crunch (rarely) I can still go home for dinner and come back without anyone noticeing. Also my wife and kids come by to visit which is always nice.
  • saturnfive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    saturnfive polycounter lvl 18
    We put in a lot of crunch time at DE on the last project. I'm doing all I can to help us keep it to a minimum on the current one, so hopefully it's getting less common. During crunch, the company will usually order dinner if you work late, and there's food around at weekends. As recompense, we got 3 weeks off at the end of the project. Time will tell if we get those bonus's too smile.gif

Frankie: How is crunch at SD?
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    We put in a lot of crunch time at DE on the last project. I'm doing all I can to help us keep it to a minimum on the current one, so hopefully it's getting less common. During crunch, the company will usually order dinner if you work late, and there's food around at weekends. As recompense, we got 3 weeks off at the end of the project. Time will tell if we get those bonus's too smile.gif

Frankie: How is crunch at SD?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for posting something unrelated. But saturnfive do you have MSN or ICQ? I recently had an interview @ DE Toronto and can't remember if we met while there. I *think we did.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    If you don't like the occasional crunch time, I highly recomend working on handheld games. On all of the projects I've worked on thus far, (admitedly only a few) the art team has completely finished and moved onto a new project weeks before the coders catch up.
  • saturnfive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    saturnfive polycounter lvl 18
    Adam: Check your PM