Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dodge Magnum for UT2k4

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
flaagan polycounter lvl 18
Since this thing is pretty far along, i'm not gonna clutter the 'what are you working on' thread with it anymore (.. hears some faint huzzahs from the crowd).. tongue.gif

UV mapping's done (there's always an occassional tweak or two, though).

Texturing's coming along well, referencing stuff from my Avalanche's .psd, since I think I did pretty well with that one (and considering how huge the .psd file is, and how long I spent on it, I would hope so).

Thanks to Scott Ruggels with the 'car shader' thread. I still at this point have to create the shader for the main body, but it's 1:30 am and I'm tired... I used Scott's cube map as a starting point for the chrome shaders on the wheels and body, but I'm going to make my own for it soon enough.

I'm not certain at this point as to whether I'm going to use maya or xsi to take care of rigging and weight painting the model; as much as I would prefer to use XSI, 1) I'm not wholly familiar with it's animation tools and 2) right now is not the time to learn (I'm on a deadline with this project) and 3) I've already prepped three other vehicles with maya.... However, since softimage did fix the problems with xsi's ActorX for multiple textures, who knows..

Regardless, my plans for this vehicle are to set it up as an ONS vehicle for UT2k4, and possibly try to make a mutator for it to replace either the Scorpion or the Hellbender. If anyone's experienced with mutators I'd appreciate some help!

magnum_wip12.jpg

Replies

• Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Chase down that edge on the passenger door, there's an edge that needs clean up.

You may want to use some variation of th double Fresnel effect if you are doing a solid color car, and then maybe a double cube map for a matal flake effect.

Scott
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yah, forgot to mention i still need to tweak the model's triangulation
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    magnum_wip13.jpg
    bumpity wip bump bump~
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    well well! this looks like it's really coming together. keep us posted, i think this baby will look awesome by the time you're finished with it!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can i get a 'hell yah!'
    magnum_wip14.jpg
    need a few tweaks to the code at this point, but it can be summoned and driven comfortably at this point.

things to take care of at this point for 'completion':
    - add some more details to the texture (especially underbody)
    - add a destroyed vehicle model so it doesn't swap in the default
    - add a mutator so this can be swapped in (any help with this would be appreciated!)

wishlist (may or may not make it into final version)
    - change / add custom sound files (engine, horn)
    - some other stuffs

and by the way, yes, i realize the wheels look a bit off in those shots, already adjusted that so that they're in the proper location.
  • Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    Hell Ya! and a Fucken eh!

Looks great. Only crits is the roof should be a smidge lower, you probably got it perfect to Mag's specs but I think lower would make it look meaner. Texture- put a lip around the windows. Team Colours.

Could we see the flats, specs and wire?

For the horn and other car sounds try here: http://www.findsounds.com/

You could also make a M300 out of this, the style of two are very similar.

PS. hey keep it under 60 eh. Don't make me pull you over.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is freakin awsome I love it! I would love to see a Mad Max-ish version/skin.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    L:ooks good! LEt me take a look at the full SDK and I'll see what I can do for a Car Paint SHader.

Scott