Replies

• shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is quite posibly the most arrogant post i've ever seen in p&p from a "pro".
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Congrats Bobby on a shipped game. ( didn't we allready do that? Im getting deja vu ) It looks pretty good. I look forward to seeing how it reviews.

To be honest though, It's kinda weird you declaring your exceptional talent, whilst also saying that you wont be sticking around. It smacks a little bit of a sort of 'fuck you lot. I've made it see!' kinda post. It would have been much nicer If you'd have returned with a little better attitude and a genuine want to hang out. Otherwise, why are you posting?
    I dont think anyone questioned your artistic ability so much as your maturity for what it's worth. I always thought your work was pretty good. It's the ol 'soft' ( otherwise known as people ) skills you need to work on.

Good luck with everything.
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    hi there Tubby Rice ... sorry wink.gif

I had a look at the stuff and I must say it is nice allthough I´m not really an EA (ok maybe a bit when I have to wink.gif ) so I can't REALLY judge the stuff but I can say that it has a nice allround consistant look and feeling wich is very important for a setting.

What I can say is that I do respect the fact that you must have some skill to be hired by "The Collective" but I do have to critisise your slightly arrogant way of presenting your work here.
    It might be unintentionally and it might just be me that thinks this way, but actually posting "I am a very talented Mofo ..." and then adding "oh, and unfortunatly I am not sticking around ..." has an arrogant touch to it.

You know there are loads of talented artists around here that have done more than just one Level and are very well capable of seeing for themselves that you are talented. You don´t have to add that in a post.

You are throwing away a great chance, now that you have seen your true potential after finishing this level, to make even more of it with taking part in this forum.

I know it is exciting to work on a big titel and your ego does get a boost, but remember why you are doing the work. You want to learn, expand get better have fun creating and share and expand your work with individuals that have the same passion.

Well thats the way I see it

- Phil
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    I have no idea who you are, personally, prs phil
    but daz, this guy has just out-charmed you

you deffinately out-charmed me man, smile.gif
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    Errrrrr.....riiiight.
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Ouch man.. Ouch
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    ::rolls eyes:: ya know... I did some contract for Guild Wars and that just shipped laugh.gif on that note... BYE GUYS!

Nice work, bad attitude. wink.gif

Shotgun got it right... "What the hell."
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I've never posted on any of your threads before. Usually because they all end the same, boiling down to people posting how much they don't like you.

But, this one is a bit much there man. Congrats on the shipped title (something I haven't experienced yet), that's great. Humility is a great trait to have in this business though. Walking around saying you are better than x or y is really immature. You don't see Bobo, DH, Bird, Soul, Daz, Poop, Mojo, DocRob, or any of the other countless people that post here doing this. And those are the people that I respect. And here's the catcher, I don't respect those people because they are great artists and wear it on a shirt. I respect them because they are humble about it and genuine.

Not trying to start a rip on you posting or anything. Again congrats of the title, I hope it's not your last because of the attitude.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    A great improvement.
  • Squirrely Jones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squirrely Jones polycounter lvl 18
    I can't find any of his other work, was his name Tubboy on these forums or another forum?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I am not even that impressed personally.
    looks ok. but it didn't knock me out.
    OH BTW Did I mention I was wonderful and am now going on holiday, so don't try and ask for my autograph or anything.
  • ScreaminBubba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScreaminBubba polycounter lvl 18
    Lots of people usually have a hand in level work, before tooting your own horn, could you be more specific about what exactly you did in Mustafar?

Did you do models, textures, lighting, FX, animation, scripting, etc, for the entire level...?

Your more likely to get kudos from people when they know what you actually did. You'll get more respect this way, if you even care.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    talented mofo?

Complete dick more like. Daz called it on the money.

r.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    narcissus.jpg

On a semi-related note, is it just me, or does the Obi-Wan model have arms like an orang-utan?
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    let me just say this

ahem

ITS NOT THE EAST OR THE WEST SIDE!!!!!!!!!

no its not...
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    I was Hired By "The Collective" to help ease the work load of the other Ea's who were all under one Hell of a Lucas Arts crunch. I never considered my self Awsome. I Knew I had Talent but I did not realize my true potential until after I finished this level. I am a very talented Mofo, as one of my freinds here has said. I like working here and I wanted to share my work with all of you.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're so talented, maybe they should have hired you as an extra character texture artist. Did the LucasArts crunch take away the time set aside for your team to actually make adequate looking characters, because it shows? Or is Lucas determined about flooding the industry with more crap?

I don't care to look for, or comment, on your work. You're still an ass on or off this forum.
  • Mike Porter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike Porter polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I am a complete ass and I am staying.
    So there!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    There's a damn lot of texture stretching (most evident in screenshot 7 of the PS2 version). Especially on a texture which has a regular grid of "holes"... it wouldn't have been so bad if it was a generic metal texture, but man, that's just nasty.

Do your awesometastic talents extend to decent UV-mapping? Thought not.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm let's review those screenshots then...
    Lava and rock textures look standard, tec/metal textures look horrible. Screenshot #3 being the first best example i saw. Also, no texture blending, that's some clean edges between lava and rock.
    I'll never ever understand why people keep throwing in noise into metal textures, making them look like concrete.
    It saddens me that stuff like that still ships and is widely accepted as 'good'.
    Republic Commando was the first StarWars game i ever played that had SW interiors that actually looked good (exteriors looked great too), should maybe check that one out for examples of good environmental work.
    Assuming that the engine used supports additional maps, whoever was responsible for setting the artist texture limitation should be fired for letting people waste resolution on noisy bland metals instead of saving up memory for some spec maps which would enhance the overall look of the game, as opposed to noise filters. Again, Republic Commando is a good SW-themed reference.

From the screenshots, i can't see anything beyond mediocre textures and standard level design. There's probably old UT2 and Q3 community maps that look better.

Whoever rigged and/or animated the character models should be fired too, Obi-Gutan does have Orangutan arms. The model has no visible elbows to use as guide for rigging so i'm guessing that whoever rigged the model lacked anatomy knowledge and placed it to low. I'm surprised that wasn't fixed at all. Other similar SW games didn't need any weird arms for the lightsaber action so i don't think it was done because of that.

While the overall look of the game meets today's standards, it doesn't go a single step beyond average.
    Congrats on a shipped title, and glad to hear you're having fun, that's what life is all about.
    You shouldn't let the 'shipped title' euphoria hit you too hard, it's almost always bad for the ego. Some people never recover from that first ego trip and are unable to see their own suckage.

And Guildwars does look awesome, great use of maps, lighting, and texture res vs. clear visible/identificable detail. Nice character and environment designs.
    You can feel the love when you're in dark places with those sunbeams shining through, they have those dust particles floating in the light.
    You can also tell that they played the game going through the most common paths and made sure the player gets to see some beautiful vistas on his way.

All that is what makes out environment ART. Moving your feet frantically doesn't mean you can dance.

While games today clearly feature texture artists and level designers, there's maybe a handfull games where you can tell that they had a proper environment artist.
    What makes out a proper environemt artists is the 'ARTIST' bit. They're responsible for building most of the level geometry and therefore its look, they texture and lit it, (having the best control possible over texture quality/memory use/spec/bump etc map usage) themselves, and add all the fancy and often subtile little things and effects that make the difference.

The need for higher artistical quality in environments is another trend coming along with normalmaps and higher budgets.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    one word : FAKE.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    All that is what makes out environment ART. Moving your feet frantically doesn't mean you can dance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant line! Made me laugh quite a lot smile.gif
  • Bobby Rice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bobby Rice polycounter lvl 18
    Post deleted by Bobby Rice
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    hey Bobby, does Nick Parde or Rick Huenink still work at the collective?
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Post deleted by Bobby Rice

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice try.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Does anyone even think for a minute that this kid really works there?

I can't fathom how any reputable organization would hire somebody with a personality like this.

I suspect Bobby Rice is a 14 year old kid with some social problems. For that, maybe we should pity him, but only if he eventually comes clean.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    What the fuck? 3rd name for this guy? Why the hell does he keep coming back? Seriously. Figures that just the other day I asked, "What happened to Tubboy?" Now I know. Nothing, he's STILL an idiot.

Yay!
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    how can somebody be so poor?

Bobby, please. Just go away.
    I mean simple excuse would be enough, like "hey, i am really not want to sound like a arrogant prick, i am just happy and proud on myself and stuff. MY first shipped title. Yay." This would be, maybe, honest and i could understand you feelings.

instead: You delete your post. What the fuck is wrong with you?!?! after everybody hates you, which is totally understandable, you start a thread, where you underline that you are the talented mofo and bla. This is really bad. But its far more worste that now, after everybody complained about you you delelete you post instead of trying to make the best out of it.

This leads me to the following : your just an idiot. Its a wonder that you can work in a team environment.
This discussion has been closed.