Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UC2 skins for UT2k4

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Vailias polycounter lvl 18
This started over at Beyond Unreal with the idea that it would be cool to have a set of skins for the existing UT2004 characters inspired by their equivelants in Unreal Championship 2. There are a couple done, and several in the works. original thread here.

I picked lauren to do. I think she came out well. Some of my best work to date I think.
NecrisLauren_Back.jpgNecrisLauren_BastardSword.jpgNecrisLauren_Portrait.jpgNecrisLauren_Dagger.jpgNecrisLauren_Jump.jpgNecrisLauren_Hands.jpg

Replies

• shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Heh, oh no just not her.. wink.gif

It's a great model by gwot, but the UV still wakes me up @ nights covered with sweat, haunting me with disorted nightmares.

So having skinned this myself I can appreciate your job a little more, she's not easy. Good job on the boots, you cheated your way in that area and it ended up looking pretty sweet.

I'm not sure if its the overall rendering in th e map, but she has a very pinkish tone to her, even the black. Either way, being the map lighting or not, I would suggest pushing the skin vs. lether hues further. give the skin a more pale blue-ish hue, for example, againts a more orange-ish lether, and then accentuated by the strong red/ orange of her hair. Right now she seems very monochrome to me.
  • Kirin
    Offline / Send Message
    Kirin polycounter lvl 18
    I remembered this model; her UVs were a bitch to work with ... the maps were very wobbly and uneven and her face looks squished in the texture ... it's like an ex-girlfriend that doesn't remember she's an ex.

Anyway, she looks decent but rather greyish. If you don't want to post the flats, do you think you can take screenshots of her in differnet maps? Some outside, some inside ... etc...

Some suggestions include to add some slight colouring. I agree with shotgun here with the monochrome-ness of the skin. I would overlay it just a tad bit with bluish colour layer over the flesh and red or orange over leather ... say around 5-10% opacity. You can also experiment with the layer settings like Dodge, Multiply, or whatever.

Aside from that, I think it looks nice. Nice to see more unique skins for a model like this.
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    The monochromeness is part of what I was fighting with, but still she is a Necris wearing black leather. :shrug:
    And cheated nothing. I wear those boots daily. :chuckle:

Actually where I cheated was on the torso seams as they are basically pure black along the seam except for her collar area.
    I'm just going to link the flats so you can see what all detail has been put into them with no lighting obscureing what is there. The leather has blue highlights on its upper surfaces and brown/orange for the lower facing highlights. They are just subtle so as not to look like vinyl or just bad. But yes I can get more screenshots.
    Also yes the UV's are even more stretched than I remembered, but this model just fit the best with the new lauren character.
    NecrisLauren_head.jpgNecrisLauren_body.jpg