Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UT2004 Female Character - Stryker

Fishypants
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Fishypants polycounter lvl 18
Here is a character that I have been working on for the past month or so off and on. This character is geared more towards higher end engines such as the Doom 3 or Next Gen Unreal 3 engine, but im going to just import it into 2k4 for now. Original poly limit I set for myself was 5,000 tris, considering Unreal 3 has characters between 6,000 and 12,000. Ended up being 4,786, so I guess thats good smile.gif.
Just finished laying out the UV's and now im getting ready to texture, rig and animate her. She will have a completely new skeleton and new animation files as well.

Well, I wanted to see what anybody else thought, comments and critiques are welcome.

ut2004_stryker_comp_01.jpg

Replies

• skullsplitter
  • Fishypants
    Offline / Send Message
  • Weiser_Cain
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I like it a lot except for the chunky bits on the waist and legs!
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Human geomatry is excellent.
    Design is pretty redundant, what exactly are you looking to add to the game?
  • Snowfly
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    That's a great looking mesh. Would love to see the topology.]

The design is cheesy 1980's space oddysey, kind of appeals to me.
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    cool model, I really like the face, but I think the belt could use less poly and more work design-wise...though the overall model is very nice smile.gif
  • snemmy
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    she looks a bit cold........
  • KDR_11k
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Doom 3 uses 2000 polies and normalmaps, 5000 is something you'd throw at HL2. UE3.0 also uses Normalmaps and your model doesn't look like you're going for normalmapping...
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    ...but, she has nipples.
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Great character. Like shotgun said, awesome anatomy. I disagree though on the design. Nothing revolutionary, but I like the simplicity. I bet you can really do some nice stuff with the texture. I'm really looking forward to what you come up with. Nice use of smoothing groups also, nothing overkill, just right.

Welcome to polycount!
  • Skizot
    Offline / Send Message
    Skizot polycounter lvl 18
    I was expecting the cop guy from mk3... instead i get frost wink.gif you'll have to add a face mask so we can skin her up that way wink.gif
  • Weiser_Cain
    Offline / Send Message
  • Hollowmind
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty nice. Just remember that UT2004 'cheats' when it comes to smoothing groups. When you export the mesh with ActorX it'll make each vertex along the edge of each smoothing group into 2 vertices and split the edge. You won't have one solid mesh anymore, it'll be split into separate meshes for each smoothing group. Usually it's not too much of a problem but it can fuck with the LOD's.
  • sundance
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    damn, is she stuck on ONS_artic stronghold or something?
  • Kirin
    Offline / Send Message
    Kirin polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty nice.

Got an SDK (wires + 3ds or obj file) ready? I'd like to take a whack at skinning her sometime.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    damn, is she stuck on ONS_artic stronghold or something?

[/ QUOTE ]That would be a nice if not a bit sleazy feature for future games...
  • Etienne
    Offline / Send Message
    Etienne polycounter lvl 18
    I think the model is pretty cool.
    With the right textures it would look really good in UT2004.

Etienne
  • Hollowmind
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    One thing I just noticed, you modelled the inside of her ear but the anatomy's way off. It's missing a lot. I don't know that actual names but the part that's mostly missing is the lower-case y shaped bit of the ear. And her earlobes probably need to be a tiny bit bigger. But these are very minor quibbles, hehe. wink.gif
  • Fishypants
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for the comments. Im at work while writing this, but I will post the wires and what not when I get home tonight.

shotgun - Not sure what you mean . . . ? I just want to create a character. I agree the design is cheezy and simple.

Snowfly - I will post the wires tonight. I agree about the design.

poopinmymouth - thanks for the comment. I agree with everyone that the design is simplistic, but I didn't want to get too crazy with my first UT character. This is more or less a practice for me to see how to get it in the game. She is simple and easy to rig, which is what I was aiming for.

Skizot - I remember the cop guy, wasn't his name Jax or something like that? Don't remember any frost though . . . I will have to go look at the game again. I'll add a face mask, and leave it optional with transparencies to make it visible or not. I originally intended for her to have a mask, but wasn't sure if I should put one on or not.

Weiser_Cain - i'll post some wires tonight.

Hollowmind - Huh, I didn't know that. Hope the model doesn't get all screwed up then . . . that would suck . . . alot. I'll take a look at the ear again. If its fixable with a texture, I will just do that.

sundance - actually, yes! No, i dunno . . . probably gonna remove the nips, although you cant really see them when there is a texture on her.

Kirin - Cool, that would be awesome of you. As soon as the model is ready, i'll give you a hollar.

Etienne - Thanks for the comment.

Thank you guys for your comments and taking the time to view and post in this thread. I have a question for the one's that mentioned the simple design . . . would you mind giving some tips to improve it? I am more then open to suggestions and would like to change it now before I get halfway through animating her.
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome man, you are more than welcomed.
    It's always a pleasure seeing people more open minded to suggestions rather than sticking to "Da Shit"..
    I apprecaite it..

So like I said the human geomatry is pretty sick. You obviously know what you're doing. She's almost 8 heads tall which is little too much for me (and I'm 6"5 myself) but hey.. whatever shwings your magic puppet wink.gif

If you want to go for a classic cheap 80's vid game style, that's fine. I respect that and I won't pretend to say any other design is better, you do what you want to do. But I think you can deffinately push it a little further than that, possibly by creating some more interesting geomatry that would be noticeably as a silloutte or, at least, from afar. Older arcades didn't rely on details anyways, rather on a graphicly coheseve design (MoP - that's second time, third time I'll paint you an icecream!). So you want to stick to a narrow palette and large shapes.

I'm not a personal fan of "belt with boxes", its so fucking redundant.. but this may be a tech issue with how the models runs in game, i dunno. If it's not, id break out of this wretched wrap-around design for a belt and work organic.
    The female crest and waist area could/should be your insipiration, especially noticing her very, un, feminin form. Just connect some lines, follow organic anatomical energy points, connection points of muscles, etc., mirror it, and you've got something. It can be stylized like the "belt" around her shoulder, sharing the same material. That could work well.

Good job on the proportions. There are *very* few people here who model hands proportional to the face.

EDIT

what I meant, btw, by "what are you adding to the game".. seeing the work on yourwebsite you seem to work quite realistically, and UT has a realistic style as it is. So style-wise, I don't expect you to add a great deal to the game (no disrespect tho). The character design looks just like any of the original UT models that shipped (quality wise as well), in fact even like one that I've skinned myself. You can always push the design with the skin, but if you are the one making the model.. right?

Make something new. Something from You. Something anyone would see and say oh.. this model.. this shit stands out. who made this? It looks like something *** would make cause it's unique..

I feel - and this is quite personal - that unless you actually contribute something to the game, expanding it, and not just enhancing what has already been made. Know what I mean?
  • Fishypants
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, here is the wireframes.
    UT2004_stryker_wireframes_01.jpg

shotgun - you rock. Thanks for the info. I think im going to do a quick "once over" on the model and give it a little face lift. Your comments are much appreciated. Thanks guys. Im off to bed now.
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Beautiful wireframe. i think that's the best low poly topology I've ever seen on these boards.
  • Etienne
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to agree with Poop.
    I don't see a lot of lost, or useless polys (if any).
    When are you going to start rigging and skining this model?

Etienne
  • Fishypants
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey poopinmymouth and Etienne. Thanks for the comments. Im actually working on the texture for her right now. When I get to a point that I feel it is looking ok, I will post some more pics. After the texture I will rig and animate her.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I don't actually agree with Poop here...
    Looks like her butt could do with an extra row of polys for good deformation (right at the base of each buttock).
    Also the front of the knees could do with an extra row of polys too, those knees would look really "sharp" when bent.
    The back of the neck and head is too poly-heavy at the moment, too, there's a lot sitting there doing nothing.

Since it's low-poly, I'd recommend triangulating before doing any rigging/texturing, since that's a much better way of seeing where you do/don't need polys for in-game meshes.

Yeah, it's a nice mesh, but no, it's not the best example of low poly topology I've ever seen on these boards smile.gif

Keep it up!

MoP
  • Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    What a gorgeous looking model. But actually yeah, Im tending to agree with MoP about the topology. Whilst it's aesthetically very pleasing to see a 95% quad model like that, it's actually not efficient nor even important at all for game modeling. It seems that since smoothing/SubD high res work has become more commonplace, a misconception has gotten out there that game models should be as 'all quad' as possible too. Not true.
    In a nutshell, as Paul has touched on, you're sacrificing good deformation and efficiency soley for the purpose of keeping the model all quads, and there's just no need.

But don't get me wrong, this is a beautiful model!
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    I hereby anounce DaZ as the forum's official diplomat and emmbasador for inter-net affairs and councilor for well-manners, mutial consideration, and good english.

I have no idea how to quad or sub-D a model, but I'm sure daz is right anyways.
  • Thegodzero
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I think that this is a great model, but its a huge waste of polygons for the form you ended up with. Her ass and her hands scream 2k poly limit and her face says 5~10k limit. Her chest is a huge waste of polygons. As she sits rite now she looks fine, but to me she looks like a 2~3k model.
  • Etienne
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't help myself and ask if "Fishypants" has made an update on this model.

Waaa

Etienee
  • b1ll
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    I do agree with Daz and mop.
    But.
    Quads in game as it places .
    It help maintain a good Tri strip.

And that is very important in games.

b1ll
  • Fishypants
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Etienne, actually I have made some progress, I am working on the texture at the moment, I just haven't made as much progress as I would like . . . due to crazy work schedule. I just finished work on the Las Vegas Season Finale, so I should have a ton of free time now. It actually comes on tonight! w00t! Well, as soon as more stuff gets done I will post it. Take care guys.
  • Etienne
    Offline / Send Message
    Fishypants:
    That's pretty cool. I know how work can come in the way of personal projects. Well, for me that's animation at Concordia-U, part time job and my family. What did you do on the TV show?

I can't wait to see the update.

Take Care

Etienne
  • Fishypants
    Offline / Send Message
    Etienne -
    I was responsible for the modeling and texturing of the Hotel, as well as the destruction of it including dynamics and animation. It was alot of work and late nights. Pretty sad though cause you spend like a month of hardcore work hours on 15 sec of air time . . . oh well! Lol. Take care.
  • pogonip
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice model bro and the topology is top notch i'd love to skin her so SDK please wink.gif
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi Fishy

Great looking female you have here! I'm loving the proportions, and the overall quality (and the relaxed pose too) reminds me of this model Zack Petroc did for his Gnomon DVD... which is a good thing!

I'm with Shotgun, these things are important. But I'm sure the finished model will stand out anyway.

On a side note, you might make some rigging tests with her if you want to use the UT2k4 stock anims and rigs. They are using a classic cs biped skeleton and I'm not sure if its really that easy to skinweight a model ontop of a classic biped rig once put in such a pose : once posed back to a weapon holding pose it might cause problems, but I'm unsure.

I have a pic of the default pose the UT creators most probably used somewhere (taken from the UT skeletons download pack), I can try to dig this out for you if you need.

Good job!
  • Scott Ruggels
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, and SDK please?

Scott
  • Etienne
    Offline / Send Message
    Fishypants:

I know the feeling of working a long time on something a getting a VERY short film. Since I'm studying in animation 8 to 10 hours of work (alone) give me aprox 1min of black n white animation on 16mm film. (God I hate film)

Keep up the good work!

Etienne
  • BERSERKER
    Offline / Send Message
    BERSERKER polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Stryker:

sundance - actually, yes! No, i dunno . . . probably gonna remove the nips, although you cant really see them when there is a texture on her.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not the nipples! wink.gif
    I think you will see them though.

What about making the model for HL2 also wink.gif .
  • Etienne
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm just waiting for an update.
    (I don't care for nips) I just want something cool.

Etienne