Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Face a day thread

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
Since my promotion to senior artist at my mobile games job, I've been able to devote less and less time to 3D. Consider this my semi-3D outlet in the meantime. I'll spend more or less an hour everyday on these...they aren't meant to be top notch quality, just something to keep the hinges loose.

I'll keep this thread going for a month, and see where it goes from there. All the sheets that come out of it or course are free to use...someone may find them useful. tongue.gif

Here's May 30, just coming to grips with my approach. Wrote some Photoshop actions for model sheet making too.. I'll officially start tomorrow.

4-30-2005-Front.jpg4-30-2005-Side.jpg
4-30a-2005-Front.jpg4-30a-2005-Side.jpg
4-30b-2005-Front.jpg4-30b-2005-Side.jpg

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I like the idea! Do you plan to work on faces only or also on full body concepts?
  • Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds cool! could you please talk more about the ps actions you made (a lil'bit curious smile.gif )
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    May 1
    I think I'll do basic humans this week while I get the hang of things. Next week, maybe creatures, then next-next week, inorganics?
    5-01-2005-Front.jpg5-01-2005-Side.jpg

Pior-I'm not ruling out full body concepts if I like a head enough, but I'm doing mainly heads.
    Ramucho-Well, the most useful one just mirrors the head over. Kind of like a Symmetry modifier for Photoshop..
  • mr.toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
    nice faces, hows the philippines btw, i was born in manilla and shipped out to the states when i was 4, i would love to come back one day since i heard its a really beautiful country to go to, and visit the millions of cousins i have never met
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    very first one reminds me of some of Peter Chung's work like Aeon Flux. otherwise they are nice.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    May 2
    Definitely in a style rut here...I'll try to break out of it eventually.
    5-02-2005-Front.jpg5-02-2005-Side.jpg
    -Always have a concept sketch on hand!
    -Caps lock makes Photoshop 7's brush behave more like version 6 and below.

mr.toast - Generally I stay in the Makati-Ortigas areas (business districts), and the vacation spots (Baguio, Boracay, Tagaytay, Batangas) so from my point of view things are loverly.. smile.gif Definitely try to squeeze in a visit.
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    these are great !

Jody
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    This will be nice.
    Ill join in from tomorrow, if you dont mind?

Notice how all your faces, from profile view, the vertical line of the brow is more frontal than the jaw line (chin), which is always set more back in. It's not wrong, its just a repeatative element you might want to play with. More often that not, actually, I think, it's the other way around.
    In the first and second ones, for example, it would be untypical for the chin to be as lit if the jaw is actually set back into the skull.

Also maybe try to make the jaw line less defined, its more of a soft inconsistant shade than an actual solid line all the way to the chin. A strong defined jaw like you paint is especially untypical for people with set-in jaw.

Good job anyways.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun, absolutely.. i'm a fan of your 2D work. it'll be great seeing fresh material from you on a daily basis..

thanks for pointing out the brows and jaws, i've been bothered by the way i draw my characters in profile and will try to fix that. probably by using reference for the first couple of weeks. i think i try to exaggerate the shapes too much in side view cause the front views seem so static.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Yes, could be.
    the front views' rendering doesn't match the exaggeration of the forms in side view, thats why it looks stick. You are thinking, while doing each, in only 2 axis, thats why it happens. Visualize the complete 3D, and rendering will be easier and more understood.

You seem to know your "shapes" and notice a measure of sudleties (spelling) in human faces, but this can be pushed tremendously. Just be preceptive and self aware as to how you work.. the more "solified" your technique and approach to drawing things the more you fall into a pattern of style.
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    wheres todays?

Jody
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK, it was labeled May 2.

Here's May 3
    5-03-2005-Front.jpg5-03-2005-Side.jpg
    Little more subtle on the side view. I was staring at people's side views on the railway this morning.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    these are really cool, what about adding a little asymmetry? I think it would really add to their character if you introduced subtle inconsistancies here and there.

I attended a lecture by Ed Hooks once, author of 'acting for animators' and he mentioned something interesting about how people usually scan others faces from left to right, looking at their right eye first. He was saying peoples outwardly projected persona is visible by looking at their right eye, and their inward persona in their left, and he gave us some photos of celebrities. By covering up one half of the face at a time you could analyse these two 'personas', and sometimes the difference was quite startling.

edit: I should probably give some examples. I can't remember who exactly he gave us to look at, but I remember one had a right eye that seemed to be nice and friendly, but their left was cold and sort of sinister (this was some sports star accused and convicted of rape I think).
    On one the right eye seemed strong and happy, but the left gave a feeling of frailty (that one was of someone just before they died if I remember correctly.)