Home Technical Talk

Graphics tablet too small?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
Hi,

I am in the market for a graphics tablet and I have a bit of a dilema. The tablet I am looking at is a Graphire3(4x5) but I am a little concerned that it will be too small to be usable. Does anyone here use a 4x5 tablet and if so what are your opinions of it? Should I rather go for a larger tablet. Cost is kind of an issue which is why I wanted to go for the cheaper one.

-sentient

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I know of professionals who use 4x5 tablets, and I used to have one myself, so it's pretty much fine.
    Then again, I tend to draw things fairly small in sketchbooks anyway, so I was used to it.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Maybe this is just me but I've always found that my tablet is a bit too slick which affects my work more than its size since I work in short strokes anyway(that just sounds wrong). I barely(read dont unless I'm playing around) use my tablet because of that.
  • Spinks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spinks polycounter lvl 18
    Weiser_Cain:
    try putting a sheet of paper on top of the tablet when you paint.. it will feel more like sketching with a regular pencil.

Mister Sentient:
    i use a wacom volito, the cheapest one they've got. it works as long as you arent used to drawing with your whole arm.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I'm gonna go for the 4x5 anyway. It will be my first tablet so I just want something to cut my teeth on, nothing fancy. I will get something more pro later on when I have the money. Thanks for the info, guys.

-sentient
  • mr.toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
    if your just doing skins then 4x5 should be more then enough, some people prefer a larger tablet when creating high-res paintings and whatnot
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast:
    I'll mostly be using it for texturing so I think it should be fine. Also I do tend to work in small focused areas anyway.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I'm with kp, 6x8. Painting on a 4x5 is almost as CTS-inducing as painting with a mouse. graphire3 line should grow with you well, even after you've turned "pro"
  • melkior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    melkior polycounter lvl 18
    I was very concerned a 4x5 would be too small also - but it was $100 less than the next size up at Fry's so I figured what the heck - I can eat $99 and have it as a backup or return it if i hate it....

And its been absolutely fine - I wore the damn thing out and bought another 4x5 2 1/2 years later ..

It does depend onyour personal habits and stroke length but the area of the pad will match your screen exactly -feels natural and fine to me.

Someday when I feel like blowing an extra 200 bux Ill spring for the next size up and see what I'm missing - but no regrets at all right now
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    the area of the pad will match your screen exactly

[/ QUOTE ]

Er... just how small is your monitor, Melkior?!
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As much as I would love a 6x8 I've decided to go for a 4x5 anyway. I can't afford the next size up at present and i really need a tablet now smile.gif.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    I have used 4x5 graphire at EA for 5 years now, it is great and I couldn't think about getting a bigger one.
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    personally I think 6x8 is just right. 4x5 is a tad cramped for me, while a 6x8 allows me the perfect amount of space to draw with little more than wrist movement. And I've used some of the bigger tablets, where drawing feels like your sword fighting...yeeaaa 6x8 is the perfect center.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    The university labs here have A3-sized tablets (18x12 inches or something crazy like that) ... they're bigger than the 19" monitors, it feels really weird working with them.... but you get huge amounts of control ... pretty handy for digital painting.

I upgraded from a graphire to an A4 (9x12 ish) intuos2 last year, it does offer more precision and control... I don't know if it'd be easy for me to go back to a smaller tablet.
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I've finally got my 4x5 Graphire3 tablet. Its working great, felt a little strange at first, still getting used to it. I'm not finding the size to be a problem so that's a weight off my mind. Thanks again.

-sentient
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I was thinking of getting the Graphire3 A6 myself. I use an A6 (4x5) sapphire and it's served me well for donkeys years, I suppose I'm considered professional by now (well, I can put food on my table at least wink.gif) so yes, professionals use what they like best.

I used an A5 at my old job, but found it a little too large, we also had an A4 which was just stupidly big.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I use a 6x8 at home, which is perfect for me. I use a 9x12 at work, though. It's a tad large, but it's handy with dual monitors, and having much more control.