Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Lady Pirate

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
Yarr!!!

This be somethin I been workin on during these rough times. Figure'n it best that I be showin some progress. All put together in XSI 4.2 Foundation. Any counsel or commentary would be much appreciated me matey.

piratehead.jpg

Head UVmap
rotating xvid capture

Beware the evil post count!

Replies

• jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jRocket polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good so far. I would suggest not putting an eye as seperate geometery in there as that tends to increase the poly count quickly. Instead, just make it a flat plane and possibly use a normal map to suggest roundness.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    she looks great elys, i think her chin is a teeensy bit long, giving her more of a masculine look.
    can't wait to see her textured up and sexy
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    giving her more of a masculine look.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought women pirates were men...ooo.gif

Nice work Ely....get her textured!!

john
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    'ello.
    After some more tweakin, this is where I be with the body while I work on the head texture.
    piratebody.jpg
    another rotating avi

I adjusted the chin a little. Don't want to go too far, not all wenches are perfect. The head and body mesh are still serparate, so I know the neck looks odd. And the wrist bands are too cliche, so they may go. Give me your worst you wretched lanlubbers!
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    looks awesome elys, I'm lovin your work. I think you should try enlarging the wrist bands to cover her wrists, just test it out to see how it looks, I know they are very cliche but it would give this model some more character. SDK possibility?
  • todman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    todman polycounter lvl 18
    maybe her feet could have more substantial boots on, bigger and bulkier, and the band is a little boring, butt you could spruce it up with your textures. yes, yes, map it, she looks great
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Looking good man. I like the thin slight boots, but they could use another ring around the ankle for deformation purposes. Her torso looks very awkward. Try to get the good S curve into it, right now it looks like she is leaning forward from the waist in a painfully awkward position. Her neck could definately use another ring in the middle to help make it less tubular, it looks very awkward and manly at the moment (I dig the jaw, just not the neck)

Can we see a smooth view without wireframe overlayed?
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone who suggests larger breast or boots will be made to walk the plank. tongue.gif

thanks steady, perhaps the wrists could use something more protective. I may just go with a texture.

todman: I'm not happy with the belts and bands either. I'll mess around with them.

tha pooper: I'll try to work on that torso. Maybe her jacket just makes her ass look too big. The neck and ankles I will definately work on.

Here's a quick viewport grab without wireframe. And I was also playing with XSI's dirtmap shader to fake a GI render. I haven't turned or set hard edges yet.

smooth shaded

My plan now is to work on the head texture while I adjust and uv map the rest of her with some new techniques I've yet to learn in XSI.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    I think the arms could stand to be brought in a bit. The shoulders are very wide, and the arms seem oddly attached. It makes the torso look very bulky for a female, even if she's a well-trained pirate. wink.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll bring the shoulders in a bit. The jacket does make her look bulky. Usually my womens aren't wearing clothes. tongue.gif
    I should have tried Silo's topology brush for this.

Update on the texturing. No alphas yet. The black around her eyes are for eyelashes.
    progress
  • Ramucho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ramucho polycounter lvl 18
    Kinda remind me of Alyx, maybe just because of the flesh tone smile.gif. I really like the eyes and the overall expression but the hair could use some more work to blend with the overall texture (a little bit less detailed)
    keep up the god work!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Kinda remind me of Alyx

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! I like Alyx. crazy.gif So far this is all painted without reference or texture overlays, which I feel is more satisfying. I agree with you about the hair. I plan on making it more stylized.

Here I am now having trouble getting my alpha channels to display in XSI's viewport. I had the problem a month ago, and I'm still waiting for more solutions from my CGtalk thread. If any XSI game artists could give me a hand, I would be more than grateful.
    pirateprob.jpg

Oh, I also fixed the eyebrows (more feminine).