Home Technical Talk

Big Decisions...

dabu
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dabu polycounter lvl 18
Hey PC,

So after GDC I started looking for a job and I now have 2 possible paths to pursue, one being an asset artist for a major studio, entry level most likely, which would mean relocating to SF, not a bad move from LA where I am also very comfortable and happy.

The 2nd is joining a small but rapidly growing mobile games and entertainment company in LA doing all sorts of stuff from interface and sprites to web and ID work.

It seems the pay would be better to start at the mobile games company and as well as fewer / more sane hours, but I've dreamed of working on the latest games as an artist for almost 3 years now. However, mobile gaming seems to be evolving at a break neck pace, with 3D capable phones that supposedly rival the PSP available in about 3 years.

I have my interview with the big studio Monday, and if they extend an offer, it will be a difficult decision to make. My ultimate goal is to be a creative director working with a team of artists. Having a major shipped title under my belt in 6 months would seem to do wonders for my attractiveness to future employers.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, as I may be faced with this decision next week.

Thanks for the help.

cheers

dabu

Replies

• Daz
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Only you can make the decision Dabu, but having two different potential employers making you offers is never a bad thing.

You could actually play one off against the other. If you make your decision about the one you really want, and it turns out to be the other one that pays better, you turn around to the studio that you really want to work for, and say 'hey thanks for the offer. I have an offer from x studio though that is $X. Any chance you could match it?'. Negotiation is a normal part of the proceedings.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

smile.gif
  • cholden
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Daz said it right, and both LA and SF have plenty of game studios. The LA moblie studio sounds like a better deal for you, but I'm not in your shoes and have no idea of the full extent of these offers or what you truly want to do.
  • Soccerman18
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    The decision's up to you, but it already sounds like you're leaning towards the mobile one.

Just going off of what you posted there's:

Major studio where
    - it's an entry level position
    - you have to relocate

Mobile game where
    - more responsibilities to gain experience from
    - better hours
    - better pay
    - quickly growing company allowing for possible quicker advancement in the company

If you're unsure as to how the work will be once you get hired, try seeing if you can contact someone who works in the area you'll be hired into and talk to them about the work environment and such.
  • dabu
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the feedback guys,

Guess I will have to wait till Monday before I can really start to think seriously about it, since I won't know the full details til then.

Thanks again, I will probably post back after then with more ponderings, for tonight though, its party like a madman.
    +)
  • dabu
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    Well, after some hard thoughts and delay from HR, looks like I start on the 18th at EA. I think this is the best path for me right now, but I am very grateful to have options. If anyone is curious what level of work got me in, check out my portfolio.

cheers

dabu
  • Cubik
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Contratulations on getting a job!
    Did you interview go anything like this?:

20050406l.jpg
  • dabu
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    ha

I love pa

Actually the reason I was so drawn to the position is because my boss was an artist, and has been in the trenches. So working with someone that has done their time was really appealing to me.

I still expect some crazy hours, but at least the people setting the time frame are aware that they are crazy hours.