Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Burning Undead

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
Edit: Ok, I've changed this to focus on the skeleton character, I couldn't come up with enough ideas for daily models and I have some paid vectoring work I have to do as well

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, nothing to show this minute but here is my plan:
at night (at work) I draw, in the morning I model
7 days and 7 nights = 7 models
I will be taking sunday night and monday off for birthday celebrations, so expect my first concept tonight at 11pm est. If it works out I will adjust it to my work schedule, Tuesday-Saturday, and keep doing it until I can get into the industry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Replies

• Synista
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synista polycounter lvl 18
  • Spinks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spinks polycounter lvl 18
    hehe.. interesting idea, although im not so sure the best way to improve is to crank out a model a day like some machine. if you can keep it up for a week i'll be impressed. gl hf
  • Echelon-IV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Echelon-IV polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    hehe.. interesting idea, although im not so sure the best way to improve is to crank out a model a day like some machine. if you can keep it up for a week i'll be impressed. gl hf

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Good luck for you! ^^
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    This sounds like a great challenge for you. Are you only planning to model without texturing? Either way, I'm interested in the style you choose to crank them out so quickly. Good luck. I may need to take a week off sometime and try this myself, to see if I can surpass you.
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    IMO theres a good chances that the quallity of the models will be low tho.

you will probably end up rushing the models to make it in time to your deadline. I dont see the point hey

Good luck.
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoSeRider polycounter lvl 18
    Make a model a day?

Generally, a good model takes about 20 hours of work....a good model.....I can make a bad one in 2 or 3 hours.
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Funny I'm spending easter doing almost the exact same thing. So far I've done 3 models in three days - mind they're low poly environmental models though. What kind of models are you making, hopefully not 7 character models? confused.gif

Good luck
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I might of been talking crazy when I said I'd continue after the 7 days. When this is over I'll set a better pace, say a complete model every week. It seems the only time I can get any work done is when I'm under pressure, otherwise I play video games all day and get really depressed that I didn't model anything.

I don't know if they'll all be character models, but my first one will be, fully textured too! Yeah, I'm crazy. Just consider this speed modeling as opposed to speed painting.
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 18
    i don't know if any old polycounters remember weegie246. he did a model a day and they were great. did the ninja turtles and all those weird characters. and pimped them as shockwave turntable movies. i think it can be done. good luck.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I'm curious to see whether the models improve with experience or get worse through tiredness, hope it is the former :]
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    ye, well, stop talking and start pimp'n!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I guess this is classed as breaking the rules of polycount pimping forum, wouldn't it be better to post an image with your fictional manifesto?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stop hatin!
    well, didn't draw as much as I hoped, my only weakness is coming up with ideas. Modeling begins tomorrow morning around 7:30-8:00 am
    face.gifbody01.gif
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't think I'll be able to UV map, got an hour till I go to work
    preview01.gif
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Generally, a good model takes about 20 hours of work....a good model.....I can make a bad one in 2 or 3 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, I dunno... the victorian guy on my site took 3-4 hours to go from nothing (no concept or anything) to finished mesh (3000 triangles).

So I think it's very feasible to do a good model every day. You just have to be quick, and be very decisive about design decisions, no time to dawdle.

Good start here, dude, give the poor guy a head! The anatomy in your sketch is a little weird, especially around the arms, might wanna look at some more reference for how the muscles around there work.

Good luck getting this done, saying "7 models in 7 days" is much, much, much easier than actually doing that smile.gif

Maybe I'll give something like this a shot after I finish my university coursework for this year... sounds like good practise and good fun!

MoP
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Go for it man should be fun too. I can model 5000 poly human in 8 hrs if I take my time, it's the texturing that takes a long, long time. wink.gif

Alex
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, the sketch sucks, the torso was stupidly wide too, drawing is usually hit or miss with me. I started modeling a head but I don't like how it looks, we'll see what happens tonight.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I'm tired, model one is done for now. I didn't really reach my goal for this model but it really did jazz me up and make me feel great, I think I'm out of my slump. tomorrow I'm modeling a static mesh: a cat floating in embalming fluid

donefornow.gif

MoP: I bow to your greatness, does the 3-4 hours for the victorian guy include texturing or just modeling? Either way, that's awesome!
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    An interesting challenge you've set yourself there Justin. What you have there looks great. Whilst I would never dispute that MoPs mightiness is worthy of a bow or three, with this kind of tri count 4 hrs should get you something pretty damn decent yeah. Heck, so could an hour really. If that time includes UV-ing and texturing, then yeah, Paul is indeed a God. smile.gif
    If you really want to speed up, start doing a lot of high polygon subdivision modeling. When you come back to models of this resolution, you'll find you can put them together in no time at all. You just have this weird sense of 'er,eh? This thing is made of like, 6 polygons, how the hell did they take me so long to make before?!'. And I dont mean that to sound patronising to working in these resolutions. I still deal with models of this resolution every day. It's only periodically at work that I do stuff for pre-rendering, and at home.
    Good luck! We'll be watching smile.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    It's not a silly turnaround - I've worked on a project where it was a model per day - build, map, texture and rig. After a week or so you relly learn your tools, sort out a good workflow and pipeline, learn some great shortcuts....it's a great experience, if a little tiring.

Good luck.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the ecouragement! smile.gif

Had a little set back today, lightning struck something close to my house and blew out the phone line. I only got a few hours of modeling in because I feared for my poor computer's safety. I'll see if I can upload anything when I get home tonight.
    I also didn't realize that Sunday was Easter, I don't think I'll get anything done then either :-P
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yeah yeah, lightning of course! it's ok just to admit its too tough..

laugh.gif just kidding man, hope it doesn't set your plans back too much. Cool progress so far, without the robe its got a nostalgic quake zombie feel to it which makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Good start man. Try to get more dynamic out of his pose. The dress looks like a tube with a taper at the top. See if you can describe the underlying leg structure with the fabric.

Good luck on the rest of the week.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    nice concept smile.gif with the hips on the model, id try sucking it in a little more, while retaining the same jutting out shape - it seems a little 'poofy' in the lastest version.

even though the arms are skinny - i agree with poo, they could use a little more shape, to liven them up a bit. I think you could stand to exaggerate the wrist bones and ankle bones a bit, and have the bracelets really accent them rather than hide the joints, as they seem to be doing now. Plus, i think it'd make the dude seem a little bonier, and frail.

happy birthday too!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster: hehe, they finally fixed my phone line today, isn't Sprint awesome?

I'm torn between continuing with this whole deal or just concentrating on the skeleton guy, I really don't like the way his head turned out and I agree that the dress is pretty lame. Either way, I will be working on him more.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    if its up to a vote I'd say try to carry on, and if theres stuff left to do when its over go back and tweak bits later. I still think its a cool idea to try and its not too late to continue. I'd definately like to give it a go sometime too.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ladies and gentlemen, I give you:
    a cat floating in formaldehyde!
    catpreview01.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    now that I like a lot wink.gif
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    agh, I can't come up with an idea for tomorrow's model!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ugh, well I'm throwing in the towel! The modeling part is easy, coming up with the ideas is the hard part! I'll focus on making the skeleton guy into a UT2K4 model
  • mr.toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
    hmm doesnt seems as hard as it sounds, you can make 7 models in 7 seconds

cube
    cylinder
    sphere
    pyramid
    donut
    plane
    and last but not least a magic teapot
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did some more work on the skeleton, tried to define some musculature on the arms and add some more bone definition to the ankles. Also added teeth planes to alpha map and little beedy eyes (the sockets will be black and the eyes will be glowing red). Lemme know what needs fixing, etc..
    arm01.gif
    foot01.gif
    head01.gif
    dress01.gif