Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UT2004 Vehicle - Thresher

Painreliever
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Painreliever polycounter lvl 18
I started this a long time ago and am finally fairly satisfied with its completion level. I have had it in the game but I need to reimport the mesh and tweak the code now that I am done changing the model and the texture is pretty much done. It used to be called the Stingray, but I went with Thresher instead because the tail is elongated and people expected the weapon to be in the tail with the name Stingray. Its 1523 polys, and right now I rendered it with the high res 2048x2048 texture. Anyways heres some pics...whatcha think?

stingraytopright_th.jpgstingraytop_th.jpgstingrayside_th.jpgstingrayfront_th.jpg

Replies

• ScreaminBubba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScreaminBubba polycounter lvl 18
    I think it looks really good, the geometry is laid out well and makes sense.

There's only one thing that really leaps out at me: it needs some specular highlights painted in, similar to what UT's vehicles have, or some wear and tear. (chipped paint, scratches, etc)

I think that would give it an added depth that would polish it off nicely.
  • sundance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sundance polycounter lvl 18
    nice, will it be done as a mutator to be added to ONS matches or what?
  • Painreliever
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Painreliever polycounter lvl 18
    Bubba: Yeah its still a little too clean I think. I tried throwing some impact scars on the vehicle, you can see a couple of them but they don't break up the texture enough to make it look used I guess. I will probably work on making it dirtier, but I wanted to see how this one looked in game before I made any more changes.

Sundance: If I can figure out how to get that working I would probably end up doing that, replacing the manta, which the code for it is built around. I have been wanting to build a whole replacement pack of vehicles for all the ONS vehicles but my coding knowledge slows me down. I have taken a year of C++ but sometimes figuring out how to use the functions in the unreal vehicle classes isn't so easy. I'd love to make something as cool as the new vehicles in the bonus packs...but I have yet to dig through their code to try to figure them out.