Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Shirow landmate/mech

lkraan
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
lkraan polycounter lvl 18
Was pimping this in another thread but I figured that it deserves its own thread. Am I conceited or what! laugh.gif

It's a landmate designed by Masamune Shirow and shown in the Intron Depot 1 artbook. Here a scan of the mech with a sexy chick in it...
scan_i.jpg

I am not sure yet what I am going to do with it besides render pretty pictures from it because it's way too high poly for UT2003/4 and not nearly detailled enough to render a normal map of.
Maybe I'll take the plunge and make a high detail model. But that would require making a huge load of extra edges to make hard lines which seems like a pain in the ass to do. I am not using any modelling plugins in Max so maybe there are tools that help you do this.

I should make a sexy anime pilot chick for it too but for now I have my hands full finishing this baby.

I would really like to hear from your feedback on this model and the progress that I'll post over the next days (more weeks probably smile.gif).
Especially if you think that it could be trimmed down to make it suitable for UT2003/4 without losing too much detail. Right now it's about 6500 polys and it still needs 4 arms (2 for pilot and 2 for landmate and 2 shields on the back so unoptimised it will end up being close to 8500 polys.
Also if there is an easy way or plugin to making extra edges in Max then I would love to hear about that.

On with the pimpin'
Here the front and back...
Shirow-Mech-WIP3a.jpgShirow-Mech-WIP3b.jpg

Here the way the cockpit folds in front of the pilot.
On the sides of the cockpit there will be the 2 robotic arms that the pilot slides her own arms in to control the landmate's arms.
Shirow-Mech-WIP3c.jpgShirow-Mech-WIP3d.jpg

And here the inside of the cockpit which will be all padded softly and will have screens in front of the face...
Shirow-Mech-WIP3e.jpg

ps. I have not applied much smoothing groups to the model and especially the toes need some hard lines.

Replies