Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Armored Mech

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
Finally! My first fully textured, and fully rigged character! grin.gif

I've been working on this for about three weeks on and off and I'm finally done. I'd like to know if there's stuff in the texture, design, geometry etc. that I might've messed up and dont see. So please point out anything wrong smile.gif

EDIT: Sorry about the bad rendering. I'm running max in software mode so whenver shapes intesects there are problems =/

render6.jpg

wires:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v416/temetry/render7.jpg

multiple views
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v416/temetry/render5.jpg

Replies

• John Warner
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    cool! i like it.

i don't know if you're just giong for a straight up cartoony look, but i've got some crits if you're not:

the scratches seem too many and too uniform. they're all the same depth, too. he's all scratched up, but he does'nt have any gouges or dents, or anything like that.

it would also help to throw in some color variation.. a photo texture overlay of anything.. i used a photo of a swamp on a recent metal texture and it looked pretty good.

he also needs some dirt. once again, you can get some good grunge with texture overlays, and i'd suggest working wth them a bit. i'd aslo reccomend trying to add in some dirt in places where it'd collect.. between joints, in groves, etc etc etc.

anyway, you do seem to like the simple, clean, anime style (judging by your avatar) so take it or leave it smile.gif cool stuff.
  • Slipstream
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestions grin.gif

I plan on using this in my application for a mod called Mechmod , and there art has an anime-ish feel to it, so I was trying to kinda of match there style. Honestly I don't think I've quite pulled it off, but I'm pretty close (I hope).

I do have a texture overlay already on there of some (Photoshop created) rust, but its set at about 20 opacity so its not all that noticeable ^^;
    I hadn't thought of your other suggestions though, I'll have to use them on another mech I'm working on, since I want that one to have a realistic style.
    Thanks smile.gif
  • Cubik
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    http://www.mechmod.com/news/01mar05/hephaestus.jpg
    I would desaturate your skin a litte and add some more obivious highlights. Look at the image. You skin looks a bit blurry but I guess that's just your resolution that's causing that. And I eco John Does' suggestions.
  • Slipstream
    Offline / Send Message
    I've desaturated and fixed up the highlights some as you suggested, but for the most part, wouldn't HL2's engine produce the majority of lighting for the model?

render8.jpg
  • Spinks
    Offline / Send Message
    Spinks polycounter lvl 18
    i like the second version more.. what i think would add loads to this model is some stripes or labels in a complimentary color like orange or yellow.. you know some warning signs, serial numbers, insignias or the like. then again i don't know how strict reins you're on when it comes to design.