Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

turtle

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
well, thought he's improved so much he deserves his own thread.
got hands and legs now, so i put up a nice render.
i've done some small adjustments to the rear shell after the first render, and some adjustments to the muscles.
but i'm planning to make him animatable, and i'm not very skilled at skinning, so any tips would be appreciated, concerning the edge flow.

he's also going to have some facial animation, which i'm a bit uncertain how to do with bones. includes multiple lip joints, in several directions, and moving eyebrows.
(character studio seems to crash if i try to add additional bones)

any way i could add this into a game, for example UT2k4 or far cry? half life 2?

turtlewire.jpg

turtlebackwire.jpg

turtleback.jpg

don.jpg

Replies

• Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    The3DGuy is going to shit his pants.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    hahah Cool! I wanna to some turtles! If you do the rest a suggestion: Make them differnt. Dont just change the color of their accessorys. Make Raph Bigger, make Mike Smaller make Don Skinnier and Leo somewhere in the middle. Great stuff. Make an organic realisic looking texture, dont go too cartoony. But It's all you. Great work regardless.

Oh yeah, can you show from the side? Id like to see how you got the shell around him. Thanks.

sorry one more thing, You may want to check the smoothing groups around his upper thigh, or turn some edges or something.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    I'll secont Ghost_Riders suggestion.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i made an orto drawing before i started modeling. smile.gif
    it's not perfect, had to do some adjustments here and there.
    and no ortho for the arm. didn't really need it smile.gif

turtle.jpg
    turtleside.jpg

here's the new front. managed to reduce the problem in the foot area.
    newdonfront.jpg

hmm, wonder if i could make him do this.

JSC%20970522%20Box%20Turtle.jpg

due to public pressure, i will give the different turtle thing a thought. i'll give them different sheats for their weapons.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    His arms seem a bit long to me. But other than that very nice work.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aye.
    is there any way to export normal max bones?
    i like them better than character studio.
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    The3DGuy is going to shit his pants.

[/ QUOTE ]

it r0x0rz my b0x0rz
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, here's the basic skeleton.
    scream if you see something that doesn't seem right.
    the red parts in the face is lips and eyebrows.
    should give me some pretty basic control over the face.

facer.jpg
    turtleskel.jpg
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    its metalhead!

2016.jpg
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, i had that toy when i was a littl brat.
    i even drew him in paint on our old compaq busting through the walls in the sewers when i was around 8.
    ah memories.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    i really really like how you designed the head and facial expression.
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    lol holy shit, i remember that guy. pretty 1337

very rarely to TMNT characters turn out well in 3d, so im really digging this guy. the face looks great. polys seem well placed too.

i like the idea of making each turtle different.

also, was there ever a dark version of TMNT? it seems like a cool idea, but im not sure if ive actually seen it or just imagined it.

( i remember some toy of a duck character too...with an aviators jacket. anyone remember that bozo?)
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    was there ever a dark version of TMNT? it seems like a cool idea, but im not sure if ive actually seen it or just imagined it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im working on it!!

Cool skeleton by the way dejawolf. Have you seen any of the unreal developer docs? It will show you the kind of skeleton to use in ut2k4.
  • Badge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm, well i was digging a bit through the documents here on polycount, but i only found character studio stuff.
    which crashes every time i try to add additional bones, as well as messing up my mesh after a few scene loads.
  • Vince
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vince polycounter lvl 18
    haha, metalhead. I had that toy as well!!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    deja, what version of max are you running?

i've had no problems adding extra bones to character studio in max 7. here's a screen grab of the skeleton i'm using:

extra_bones.jpg
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sectaurs: nice penis bone
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm using max 6.
    what kind of bones are you using?

donheadtexture.jpg

oh, and an update. i've started texturing now, model is unwrapped. if someone could host the model, i could slap out an SDK for everyone's texturing pleasure.
    i'm not really sure about the bandana. think i'll desaturate a bit more.
  • usagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    sweet, that is looking really nice, and i might be able to host the sdk
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    textures looking ace.

they're just regular bones? you just have to set up their hierarchy first, then link it to the root of the cs rig... they also have to be animated seperately outside of the cs rollout.

ghost: what a nice thing to say wink.gif
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    another update. this time they're 4 smile.gif

turtles.jpg

and foolin around a bit with raph's muscles. decided i'll go for a more ahnold texture instead of bolstering his polygons that much.
    they're still a bit bigger than any of the other turtles.
    and he's also taller. don is a bit skinnier than leo, and mike is a bit shorter, with a sheepish smile.

since they're brothers, i didn't want them to be too different.

raphmuscle.jpg
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    yikes. raph looks like he's having an alergic reaction smile.gif

you could get away with using the same model, just different textures. just make sure you get all their unique green colors. the equipment looks good.

12inch_Michaelangelo_TMN-01.jpg
    12inch_Leonardo_TMNT-01.jpg

12inch_Raphael_TMNT-01.jpg

12inch_Donatello_TMNT-01.jpg
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not going for the new series looks.
    it's gonna be a mix of movie looks, and the old cartoon.

6304698739.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
    turtles2.jpg
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    oh wow that image is from one of the first three (five? two?) episodes! It was only in those eps that they had the stripe down the nose, after that it was removed, probably to help speed up the creation of the inbetweens.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    sweet, that is looking really nice, and i might be able to host the sdk

[/ QUOTE ]

ok, thanks. how and where should i send?
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, this here is really going to stir up some memories smile.gif

http://www.thetechnodrome.com/vc/

if you don't have that pesky thing called realplayer:

real alternative
    http://www.click-now.net/html/RealAlternative.htm
  • Todd Dinosaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Todd Dinosaur polycounter lvl 18
    If there is somthing i love it's pizza, beer, girls and TMNT. These guys look great. I know you are pretty far along, but I'll crit what i see. I think the arms are too long, or the legs are too short. The palm of the hand is too small when compared to the fingers. the orintation of the hand is also at an eXtream, I would have put it at more of a relaxed position. I think maybe the hands need to be totally reworked. Party on dude!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, i was too lazy to hunt up pictures of the toys i was thinking of... the first line of 'movie' turtles after the movie came out... they were much more realistic (even had 'soft' rubbery skin) and, if i remember correctly, were greatly textured. er, colored.
  • Todd Dinosaur
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heh, had toys of tokka and rahzar.
    then some asshole stole them from me. a while later i found them at his place.
    he had broken tokkas head off, and removed some stuff from rahzar. just before i broke his head off, and picked him apart.
    oh well.. memories..
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    turtles2.jpg

small update before bedtime.
    fogot to tell i have added throwing star pouches to their belts.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    they're really lookin good, keep going
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Todd: right toy, wrong year. i was talking about the 1991 versions. much much better. all their limbs were removeable, ensuring hilarity.

msdon.jpg

i'll stop spamming this thread with pictures now!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Man these rock.
  • The3DGuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The3DGuy polycounter lvl 18
  • usagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    damn, i cant host them, sorry man
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    TMNT%20slash%20moc.jpg
    the "dark" turtle, slash, got that toy when I was young too smile.gif, got loads of TMNT toys tongue.gif

great models dejawolf I really like how you succeeded turning them into 3d:)
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    really nice work

I wouldn't go anywhere near the toys for reference though, they're all different! Leonardo was the short one wasn't he? I'd take all your peculiarities from the film if I were you, thats the gospel.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, the universal standards seems to be:

leonardo:
    the leader of the gang. trains hard, and is splinters lovechild. should probably be fairly muscular, and the most skillfull fighter.

donatello:
    the turtle tech-head. because of his computer habits and lots of sitting around thinking, would naturally be a bit skinnier than the other turtles.
    not as strong as leo, but he's got a longer reach with his bo staff, which also is an effective shield when spun around.

raphael:
    hot-head. known for going out and beat on people to steam off. builds his strength by punching and kicking anything and everything. his sais have a quite short reach, but in the hands of this turtle-ram, can bash most things to a pulp. definitely the strongest of the turtles.

michelangelo:
    half-crazy funny turtle. probably around the same strength as don, with his lax lifestyle. not the first to pick a fight, but is able to sling out some heavy damage with his nunchucks.
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deja:

While that may be the universal standard, it's never truly sit well with me. For being ninjas these characters always seems unrealistically muscular. Now there is the consideration that these creatures are not only inhuman, but mutations as well. That would easily account for the unbelievable level of muscle that they possess. Still that doesn’t prevent me from saying what if:

First and most importantly, why do they have to look so similar to one another? It's said that they're brothers, but the truth is they were only raised as bothers for certain. They were four turtles purchased at a local pet shop; they might not even be the same breed as one another. This opens up plenty of options for visual differences amongst the four.

Leonardo:
    Leo is the leader of the group and obviously he commits to his training much harder then the others. The rest are quite committed, but not to his level, so it makes sense for him to have an impressive musculature. I would give him about average height +1, mainly to make him a benchmark among the others while at the same time being something slightly more.

Donatello:
    I wouldn’t actually make Don skinnier; I would make him a bit chubbier. This stylistic change would play up on the fact that he feels outcast from the world, yet unlike Raph he still longs to be a part of it. Thus his affinity for technology. This would also go well with his choice of the Bo Staff, as such a long weapon would benefit from a strong center of balance afforded by the addition of a bit of weight. I would also make him the second shortest.

Raphael:
    While it's true that Raphael is a hot head I wouldn’t bulk him up at all, quite the opposite really. The Sai is an assassin's weapon, short, expertly lethal, and requiring a deal of agility and skill to weild correctly. I would make a bit thinner to help express this added agility, as well as making him shorter. The lack of height would help give his easily fired rage a sort of Napoleonic flavor, as well as making him a Scrapper character.

Michelangelo:
    Everybody loves Mike; he's fun and good for comic relief. I would make him the tallest and reduce his bulk as well, though not necessarily to the degree I would drop Raph's. The thinner build high help convey a tree that bends easily with the wind, visually helping to match his easy going personality.

Anyway as far as fresh style choices those are my recommendations. It could be a lot of fun really reinventing these guys.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm. well, you do have a point. the movie, and the cartoons make them more like teenage mutant kung-fu turtles.

well, raphael sai's might be an assasisn weapon, but as you said, all ninjas are in the assasin business, always creeping in the shadows.
    the thing is, the turtles are teenagers, and have been training almost since their birth. imagine taking around 100 pushups a day, with a shell on your back. it's gonna build your arms up quie a bit wink.gif
    they'll need every last bit of those muscles to run around like ninjas.
    and they're teenagers, i'd say very eager to put their skills to use, raphael probably the most eager.
    another thing, they were really tiny mutated turtles, turning into huge humanoid shapes.
    this would mean rocksteady in reality should be the size of a rhino, or the turtles being around 30cm tall.
    hmm... when i think about it, shredder turned into this huge metal monster in the second movie..

the weapons the turtles are using, are mostly farming tools turned weapons, except for leo, who is equipped with swords.
    the idea behind them is they're readily available everywhere, and can be used for self-defense.
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mutation, in the comics, movies, TV, and the PnP RPGs, seems to suggest moving from one state, animal or otherwise, to a humanoid state. There was a progression scale in the RPG that actually showed the potential degrees of mutation with the highest level being almost indistinguishable from a human. Mean while there's plenty of evidence that humans regress toward an animal state when exposed to mutating substances. This explains why the turtles became humanoid, while Bebop and Rocksteady ended up looking like animal men but retained their basic human shape. It seems that the transformations are not linear which brings us to the next point.

You bring up the shell and the weight it represents. The assumption seems to be that the weight is relative from the initial turtle form to that or the final humanoid form. My guess is that it's not. While it would be possible for the creature's bones to adjust in size and density to allow for such a mass that doesn’t appear to be the way things went. The final shell that appears on the mutant turtles is far reduced in size from what they originally wore, so I would posit that the shell itself has become thinner and lighter to accommodate the new body rather then the body accommodating the shell. If the shell has become lighter as a result of the transition, then the need for an exceptional build to carry the weight lessens to a degree. Admittedly they will still be carrying a weight that humans don’t, so the base level of musculature will be stronger, but I don’t believe it needs to be on the level represented by the original toys.

The point of all ninjas essentially being in the assassin business is, to my knowledge, correct. The turtles would have to be very fit to move themselves around as ninjas supposedly did (fit, but not Arnold Schwarzenegger). In fact their occupation, especially with the need for acrobatics would almost demand a reduced weight from the shell if they were to be able to pull certain moves off.

Finally, yes their weapons were for the most part farming implements, but some of them have been in use for combat purposes for so long that the item became a weapon at heart:
    Katana: The traditional bladed sword was developed as a thrusting weapon from the beginning as you mentioned.

Bo Staff: The traditional use of the Bo was that of a load bearer; strung across the shoulders to carry water buckets and other objects. It was recognized as a weapon against swordsmen by almost every level of feudal Japanese society and was one of the earliest pioneered weapons in the development of the martial arts. World wide the staff has been used as a weapon for a very, very long time so it wasn’t just Japan that engineered this one.

Sai: It's believed to have developed from the pitchfork but to my mind the Sai is one of the tools that have come so far from its roots as to be nothing but a weapon. It was used for blocking, trapping, stabbing, and punching in a fight and was often used in pairs.

Nunchaku: Out of all four weapons the Nunchaku is the only one that retains its original use after being further developed as a weapon. It was originally used to thresh grain, though after occupation the Okinawans used it against the Japanese due to it appearing harmless until in use as a flail.

Anyway I believe the debate is reaching a point where it's more academic then helpful and I apologize for that. Take your turtles in the direction you desire and I'm sure the end result will be fantastic.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Wow Deja these are some polished shells! I'm loving the models so far laugh.gif Do you plan to texture them by hand or do you leave them with a radiosity bake?

C'mon guys you make me want to see the movies again smile.gif Oooooh I need to dig out my old Krang actionfigure now. I remember I tuned it back in the day by adding a little lightbulb inside the pinky brain... He was looking even more scary this way. And this clockwork Shredder from the second movie was so funny, with all the weapons turning around the biceps with this annoying noise smile.gif

Thanks for bringing back sweet memories!
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    I remember not too long ago seeing a ridiculously cool re-work of these guys involving a more 'urban' theme on conceptart.org for thunderdome.

http://rusty.akujin.net/images/TMNTfinal.jpg
    http://rusty.akujin.net/images/Turtles6.jpg

^^Here is the link, Deja, if you ever decide to do more.^^
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, i gotta take a swing on the bad guys too y'know wink.gif
    whats a radiosity bake?