CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
I'm not done yet but goddamn i'm improving

EDIT: pics obsolete look elsewhere k. smile.gif

Replies

• oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    maybe slightly smaller head? Or thicker neck? Lots of characture built into him though smile.gif
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    hahaha yeah you are improving a whole lot cheap, your probobly at that stage where you go to yourself "damn, i made that?" I still do it sometimes. :O

Lookin good. Any references?
  • usagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    its true you are improving but i think you need a new modelling method, unless youve changed your workflow recently. no offense but i think it shows in your meshes. i hope i dont sound too harsh
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Any references?

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, no; all I could google for were VERY blurry tv screen captures and some head references which i've pretty much got down pat first time around.

Anyhow, I think the torso is looking good so far. 1994 triangles (haha, coincidence?) Time for his lower regions!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That neck is way too thin. Also looks like he's falling forwards in the side view, try to model it so it looks like he could at least stand up. The legs also look pretty small and weak compared to his upper body.
    Apart from that, looking good though.
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    Im just interested are you obsesed by gargoyls? seems to be a theme with you how come... and whats with planet gargoyle thats a bit odd really! mop has said everything worth saying so keep going man looking good!

Jody
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    Yes he's obsessed with gargoyls of all types shapes and flavors. That in and of itself isnt too terribly odd, I've got a real passion for zombies, so I can fault Cheap for his zeal. What I want to know, and have never EVER heard him comment on in the seven or so odd years I've been visiting polycount (starting back when it was still the Q2PMP) is WHY gargoyls in specific gets him so hot and bothered.
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    I dont see improvement at all. Your still modeling in scattered triangles with no topology, and your subject matter has'nt changed in years. If you want to improve, model something else, and change the mesh topology.

I'm assuming it's Brooklyn from the Gargoyles Cartoon.

There.. Edited, but you all know, i'm just saying what your thinking..
  • johnwoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    johnwoo polycounter lvl 18
    C'mon guys give Cheap some slack...if Gargoyles are his thing....then let it be...all I'm saying is maybe Cheap wants to model his ideal creature which happens to be a gargoyle....throughout the years I have also been hoping that one day....just one day I'll be good enough to portray my fave creature ever....which happens to be a minotaur....

as for the mesh itself...I'm liking how the head is looking...but I have to agree with some of the earlier posts, about topology and also proportion wise it looks off....keep at it Cheap...you'll get there man... smile.gif
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Downsizer: We're not here to tell him what to model, only how to improve what he's working on. You're right about the mesh topology, but I'd like you to edit your reply to cut out personal (and unnecessary) insults, or I will do it for you.

MoP
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    seems fair mop... i wasnt trying to start anything when i asked i was genuinly curiouse! I love gargoyle they are cool as hell but mabey you could deviate from the steriotypical gargoyles and look at other areas like for example the gargoyls on top of the crystler building! thos look so sweet all art deco and angular i really love that sort of stuff... But the model is looking good and having just took a peek at your last one id say you are def improving just need to work on that topoligy as everyone has mentioned already looking forward to seeing this one again anyupdates?

Jody
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP- thanks, neck has been fixeded, and leg porportions are being worked out more

GoK - of course, i've been terrorizing Polycount with them in the last 4 years

Steakhouse - because of the wings, also since there is no real "strict definite standard" gargoyle you can have alot of creative liberty with them. Of course i'm not having a real creative liberty when I'm doing someone else's concept like right now but that's not my point, just talking in general. :P

downsizer- stfu the angst k.

johnwoo - i never was a fan of maintaining a well formed topology, but i'm trying edgeloops and that in this one. I've been mostly looking at poop's and bobo's work seeing how they construct loops and polys.

Kman - thanks for those pics smile.gif

At this very moment i'm working on the legs. Goofy kneecaps, tubular silhouette and long foot will be addressed immediately, and before anyone asks, NO, he will not have a penis or a sexually defined crotch lump, he's gonna wear stuff.
    brk28.jpg
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    the legs look infinatly better than in the last pics! good work man.how do you model do you start with a cube or use extrusion or what? just curiouse.

Jody
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I work vert-by-vert extrusion and face creation one by one. I don't EVER use primitives.

Ok, fixored leg, time for me to do his pleasureful extension.. his TAIL and WINGS, then i'll fix up his hair, model his clothes and it'd be uv time!
    brk29.jpg
    brk31.jpg
    brk32.jpg
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    if you are going by the sketches shown above then id make the shoulders a little more meaty and the waist to mabey the lags also. i also think the face is a little off especialy underr part of the "chin" the tail is also a little thin and not long enough! basicaly i would just step back and compare your model with those sketches and correct the little nigly bits THEN i think you should UV it. Cool stuff tho man keep it comming.

Jody
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK MESH FINSIHED TIME TO UVW YAY!
    2674 triangles, that's 1337 times two.
    brk37.jpg
    brk38.jpg
    brk39.jpg
  • GoK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    cool, i would make him a little more bulky tho, waist shoulders and the lower beak is also a little odd... looks cool tho are you going to compile it for any games enginees? would be cool in ut prob!

Jody
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    would be cool in ut prob!

[/ QUOTE ]

He's going in ut2k4, the alien skeleton will work great on him with the hair bones, tail bones and horselink legs :P (also he'll be celshaded too)
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    put more verts in the wings so they can deform properly. 5 tris per wing is INNADEQUATE!
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Considering I use milkshape3d for rigging, it has no vertex weights, so unfortunately i'm gonna have to give it large, masked wings.

Wait a minute, how i'm gonna mask this thing with celshader on, it's gonna be alotta effort with the combiners O.o i'll just use the head material for the masked stuff instead that don't have a celshader.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    OMG soooo 1337 laugh.gif

Ok just kidding, it looks quite good, but the thumb looks like it is connected too high... or at least the hands are generally not shaped very well.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    Mesh looks ok, though it's hard to tell from that shot, how the edges are.

The only thing that really bugs me is the way the neck joins the head(this goes for all of your latest garg models).