Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First post! And it's just another damn head. :(

Kristian
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Kristian polycounter lvl 18
Sup polycount! I've been reading these forums for a while now, and finally decided to pop in and actually try my hand at contributing.

This is the head for a fattish blackish and cartoony character, built with intent to bake. 3Dsmax for the cage, then thrown into ZBrush for a quick tune-up and wrinkling. Ears? They're on their way!

neger2.jpg

Zbrush really is perfect for when it comes to quickly tweaking and tuning a model, so crit away! crazy.gif

ps. tell me if the image is too big and i'll fix it. :I

Replies

• pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yay for damn heads!

Great job K, nothing to add here smile.gif
  • qubism
    Offline / Send Message
    qubism polycounter lvl 18
    WRONG! add ears damnit! :P
  • gauss
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i like the exaggeration of the features and the quality of the render. please add the ears and keep us updated smile.gif
  • Kristian
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the kind comments! I'll definitely be updating this (with ears!) any day now. Wireframe?

originalnegerwireframe2.jpg

You shall have it! As you can see, the original topology isn't all that polished nor particularly detailed. A bit of a shame in retrospect, but when you use Zbrush for the coup de grace it's all just means to an end, I guess.

[ QUOTE ]
    Also Kristian, I think you need to realize something, so that I won't have to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could it be he needs...ears? blush.gif

ps. nice tits on that Hulk!
  • pogonip
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Looks awesome keep going !
  • Kristian
    Offline / Send Message
    The shader is just a slightly tweaked-out version of one of SoK's brilliant SSS skin-shaders. There is also some photoshop contrast-tweaking present, and a faked scene blur. Zbrush material thread here!
  • FAT_CAP
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Heheh - yeah this is a great model. You seems to have agood grasp of ZBrush to get such finely controlled wrinkles and whatnot in there with some cool changes in weight along them - from sharp to soft.

Any chance of a little insight into how you get this sort of effect? ...or can you not hear me with your distinct lack of ears? smile.gif
  • Downsizer
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    Am I the only one who likes it without the ears?
  • Kristian
    Offline / Send Message
    Woah, been a busy weekend! Got to work a little bit more on him, though. Made a lopoly cage and made som quick bakes for the ground textures. It's pretty makeshift yet, but it's an indication of where he's headed. And some ears! Ears! EARS!

[ QUOTE ]
    Any chance of a little insight into how you get this sort of effect? ...or can you not hear me with your distinct lack of ears? smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I pretty much just lay down hard lines with a strong brush first, then turn down the brush strength and use the smooth brush to kill off the harshness gradually away from the wrinklecenter. It's hard to explain because Zbrush is such an organic piece of software. I'll record a Z-script if there's any interest, though. smile.gif

battledamage2.jpg

His head is weighing in at 1215 polys (!) right now, so there's absolutely trimming that can be done. Specmap, colourmap and normalmap applied, but specmap in particular is hopelessly wip yet. Spec is tricky! Two lights in max, 50% self illumination.

This post is mostly just me being excited about actually getting around to getting normal maps slapped on a "low"poly model, though. crazy.gif
  • Scott Ruggels
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    He looks like a detailed version of Darla Dimple's Butler, Max, from "Cats Don't Dance". :-)

Scott
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Great work man. Stunning to say the least. I want an entire body too! any chance you could show the low poly sans normal map, right next to the low poly wire, and then the low poly with normal map only all at the same angle? Looking great!
  • Kristian
    Offline / Send Message
    But of course!

creation.jpg

Flats'll be posted once i'm a bit more happy with them. I'm intending to give him a body as well, but the torso is still on the concept-stage, so it'll probably be a little while. smile.gif
  • Josh_Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Kristian, This is top notch stuff my man. Really cool. No crits except to get his body done!