Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

graphism - the endless thread

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
qubism polycounter lvl 18
well i know it never has really been the place for it but
still i know there was a group of some that liked it. just
dont know howmany of these are still browsing the forums.

i had a quiet long break from my graphism. a made a few that
can be seen on my website that are more clean. however im
opening this thread for me to get a place for a more regular
output of these. if u have comments on a specific piece go
ahead and write. and if u have thoughts on the works in
generall id appreciate to hear them.

patt4.JPG

okay my comment on this. it is still in progress. i tuned down the colors from being so flashy and strong dont know if i keep that. its a toy around with typographic shapes. i am trying to get alil diffuse motion into it by the fine wurly lines that go around there. kind of ornamental.

Replies

• shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    actually i think its one of ur best yet, honestly

u know, in the ridiculous fine art world out there,
    if u open a gallery and shit of these stuff,
    u can make lotsa money man
  • vahl
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    really really cool? like a lot the colors and such, as shotgun said, my fav so far smile.gif

I would rather see a series of posters/t-shirts and stuff with things like that on them, would be awesome ! smile.gif
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    woo, yeah thats great qube.

you should do some of these in Oils, and do them large. that'd be kick...asss....!
  • qubism
    Offline / Send Message
    yea actually i was having the idea of makin some "style items"

shirts or posters or things like that. however i dont really
    know a thing about the final production cycle of this.
    i know other people offer prints of their works on the net
    and they are just clients of a bigger "printing place" that
    does the stuff

still i dont know what company does this and how much
    they would want to split up from the win or so...
    if anyone knows more on that id like to hear that

i have to say makin this stuff digital is just my medium for
    creation. the workflow is much better than actually doing
    this with paint which i have tried before. it doesnt give
    enough freedom imho. the medium for viewing if i could
    choose would be print at high scales but im not having the
    equipment to print it on my own ...
  • usagi
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    awesome i love these. keep posting them, they help keep my desktop nice and fresh
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    I believe it's "dope", as the kids say... they still say that, right? crazy.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Cool qube you know im not a huge fan of this type of stuff but its done really well and the color usage is very nice.
  • Neo_God
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Meh...I don't think it's all that amazing. It'd probably look good on a pamphlet or something for an art school. oh well, I was never really a fan of this kind of "art". Though that's what's great about opinions.
  • King-Vitaman
    Offline / Send Message
    King-Vitaman polycounter lvl 18
    Cafepress.com is one site that does printing of t-shirts and such, there are probably more professional places out there but I think cafepress is the most popular and the only one I really know anything about.

They charge between 8.99 and 17.99 to print shirts, depending on the style and color and such, then you decide how much "markup" you want to have, so for instance if you have an $8.99 t-shirt and you tell them to sell it for $15.00 then you would make $6.01. They keep all the base price and you get all the markup, and I don't think they have any other fees besides base prices on merchandise sold. They also have alot of odd things available such as mouse pads, coffee mugs, posters, prints etc.

There are probably other better places out there, but I am just giving my $0.02.

Awesome job btw, I love the graphism's and would buy a shirt from you, or a poster or something.
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 18
    I think the flowing shapes in this one are an important step forward for you in your journey with these pictures.

Initially when you stuck with the sharp straight edged shapes you were sticking too much with what had gone before and it seemed more like clever artifice than the playful piece of art that this one is.

When organic art like this relies purely on straight lines or sharp lines and too much is distinct, it seems forced and laboured. As an artist, I know that to a certain degree, all art is forced and laboured at times but the viewer does not know this.

Having organic free flowing forms such as you have in this one is a much better way of communicating feelings to the viewer and relaxing them. If you want to sell your art one day, you are going to have more chances to make money by making the viewer feel good or relaxed than you are by making them feel edgy and tense.

I think all art like this is about communicating or instigating feelings in ourselves and others. It's pure, right side of the brain stuff when viewed, regardless of how much of the left side of the brain was involved in the making of it.

The symbols are good, they hint at more meaning, like with the addition of subtle, faint or obscure facial elements, it is another way for the viewer to connect to the work and ask questions.

I think this effect is described as 'opening up a dialogue with the viewer'. If you can successfully do that, you can sell 'it' whatever 'it' is wink.gif

Oh yeah and the oriental undertones in this one are nice.

Makes me want to get back to my abstract stuff again.
  • cep
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    You still have your MOJO!

smile.gif
  • nkoste
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    I still love them qubism. Don't ever stop doing them.
  • qubism
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the comments so far.
    i cant write alot atm so im just smashing another piece in this thread

recycling a jpg

bzela.JPGbzelb.JPG

these one/two involve a bit of texturing as u can see. dont have to comment these. since atm theyre all for no purpose im not too happy with them also not the with initial image.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Do these really high-res, get them printed on some weird material like silk, and you could get a gallery display.
    Especially something like this last textured one (which I actually like a lot) would translate well to traditional media - get some huge canvases and some paint, go crazy... people would buy it, I'm sure!
  • qubism
    Offline / Send Message
    tfsdm.JPG
    stylezthumb.jpg

disco.jpg
    hellorosethumb.jpg

peppi wanted to show the ones from my site here too incase one of u was so lazy to not check out my site wink.gif
  • peppi
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
  • Red Crane
    Offline / Send Message
    Red Crane polycounter lvl 18
    Hey check out the Site Threadless.com i believe. you can post up this type of stuff and people rate it and if it gets a high enough rating then the company buys your design for 400 bucks and gives you an additional 100 dolalrs to buy stuff from it's store. additionally alot of other t-shirt companies check that site for ones they like and contact the maker to see if they'd sell it to them. I know this because my girlfriend does it and posted a few up and already got some calls. I don;t know if that is up your alley or anything but i figured it might come in use to someone. Nice stuff all around
  • Garvin
    Offline / Send Message
    Garvin polycounter lvl 18
    I am really glad you decided to pick this stuff up again. On the older threads from the older boards i saved every single one of your peices from the collection. These latest ones are great, i like the first one the best, it has more harmony than the others. These look like they could be used for a nice art magazine or graphics work for magazines and posters. Really clean, powerfull, and talented stuff. Keep em comming!
  • qubism
    Offline / Send Message
  • killingpeople
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i peed a little.

<3'n these
  • Malengine
    Offline / Send Message
    Malengine polycounter lvl 18
    That explode one is fucking rad. I really like the first two, as well. Keep rocking em out Qube, here's one fan!
  • shotgun
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    ye qube rock on!

i totally agree with what ror said btw
    organic shit and all
    ye
  • Badge
    Offline / Send Message
    Badge polycounter lvl 18
    I love the first one and the last one. IMO the ones that simulate a 3d feel dont appeal to me the same as the say, the first one does.

I like the gruunge-urban new age style of it, but your choice of colors on the rest seem pretty strange to me, particulalarly the white mixed with bright yellow.

(also, on the first piece, was that a stock photo of an arial view of a city by any chance? I can kind of see the streets and clouds, im just wondering if you transformed a photo, or did it all by hand)
  • tRens
    Offline / Send Message
    tRens polycounter lvl 18
    i really enjoy them all, but the last one is my background now.. inspiring.. very nice.. MAKE THEM HIGHER RES!!!

i would buy them if i saw them in a store.

tRens
  • Josh_Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    qube, how do you do these?
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    With the power of his MIND!
    I believe he paints them all at a pretty high-resolution in Photoshop, with a Wacom tablet. And sometimes text too...
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Wow, these deserve some serious printing and display. I love them more than ever Qubey!
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Really nice work Qubism. I enjoy the last one the most. Now if I could just teach you about typography...
  • qubism
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Hmm, I like these. I don't 'get' half of them, but I still like all of them.
  • GoK
    Offline / Send Message
    GoK polycounter lvl 18
    neat work man, i have a freind who does stuff like this... but with a can on walls in dundee... wont name him for obviouse reasons wink.gif but cool man i love it!

Jody
  • _Shimmer
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    the last one is freaking awesome. Well done queby. really dig the last one. It looks like a graphic attempt from craig mullins.

I think these "trendwhores" has come a long nice way baby. Still i am not that impressed but i really dig the little its and bits everywhere and the color choice is supererb fronm the new ones. From the typographical side i wouldnt call them that good since its mostly grungestyle but still very intersting.
    I cant read every massage (if any) you put into these pics, but i like the poetic touch of each.

And if you still dont have a job :

1.you are Stupid smile.gif
    2.contact me via ICQ.

(in this order)
  • Badname
    Offline / Send Message
    Badname polycounter lvl 18
    I like the second one the most, the blue is lovely ^^

Per128 is there a polycount irc channel? [edit] found it on freenode.net smile.gif
  • Speve-O
    Offline / Send Message
    Speve-O polycounter lvl 18
    Wow. The first piece, and the last piece you posted are really talking to me. The Pink/Brown piece had potential, but the text just killed it for me. The structural cue of language just seems so out of place in these images. This is interesting stuff though.

Cheers

Steve
  • dabu
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    flyer design. seriously. I like the text, but I'm a font nerd.
  • tRens
    Offline / Send Message
    tRens polycounter lvl 18
    if you look at the explosion one.. and let you eyes unfocus allowing yourself to view it in a daze.. it looks like a skull or something else with glowing eyes.. with the bottom of the jaw removed .. the orange part looks like the upper part of the mouth.. i just noticed this and i liked it.. btw its my background.. but the last one you did might be my background soon.. dude these are rad.

tRens shocked.gifblush.gifgrin.gifconfused.giffrown.gifsmile.gifsmirk.gifcool.gifshocked.gifmad.giflaugh.giftongue.gifwink.gifcrazy.gifooo.gif

thats a lot of clicking
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    i like the new direction these are going qubie.

very dynamic, and hyperevolved from your previous ones.

you should print these, and submit them to siggraph ( http://www.siggraph.org/s2005/main.php?f=cfp&p=art ), or at least enter some into Expose 3, get you some exposure.
  • qubism
    Offline / Send Message
    shade%20Kopie.jpg

kascheng.jpg

something with new method/approach
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    yay more! love the first one, a link to a bigger image would be cool!

second one I have mixed reactions to, I think my eye would like to see a few more defined edges. The round shapes are nice but the lines feel less precise than before, to me anyway.

Keep it up :]

edit: oh and I love the colours for both
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Tom, is it just me or did you intentionally try to make me think of breasts when I see that first new one? smile.gif

I don't think the monochrome colour scheme of the 2nd one works as well as your previous images, although I do like the heavy saturation between the highlight and shadow areas.

I preferred the older stuff, but hey, keep experimenting, it'll be cool to see where these end up.

I'm sure other people have said this before, but a lot of these would look very cool printed on big vertical cloth banners and hung in a big room, like an entrance hall to something... that would be awesome.
  • flaagan
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    the first one definitely came across as cool, second one strikes me as somewhat sloppy, possibly because of the lack of hard edges and not the best sence of volume / form of the objects in the image.
  • qubism
    Offline / Send Message
    tits tits tits. it isnt hard making u think of that. u think of it all day. jesus. :P

no yes no ... actually yes. no. errr dali inspired me. he has some cock shapes hovering behind chicks and things like that.

and yea i hear this from time to time.
    and rooster. yea lines are not precise in this one. cuz i didnt do this one so precise. as for the monochromatic sceme. it was a real fast one i did just a few minutes ago. and when i looked at it i thought the same. another color has to come in but well it wasnt enough to actually make me put it in. as u see its quiet painterly which is intended and explains the roughness.

the other one i did very small
    there might be a higher res im not sure tho.
    sometimes i do them very small for the sake of performance and quick flow. just to experiment.

and paul um yea, "i like their old stuff but the recent is crap" attitude. i hear ya wink.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Its a cool new approach, but they look much less refined than the others.
  • poopinmymouth
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    The first one is nice, and has a good play of scale where it looks small at first but as you look further seems large. The second one, as mentioned above, just feels unfinished and messy.
  • rollin
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    hmm.. i don´t think the 2nd one looks unfinished . in fact i like it a lot more than the 1st
  • qubism
    Offline / Send Message
    dse.JPG

you know what i mean
  • EarthQuake
    Cool man, thats not fullsize is it? if not you should post the full-resolution image =D
  • qubism
    Offline / Send Message
    tops.jpg

a quick quick quick one.
  • _Shimmer
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    wtf? You are still alive?

mm the last one pleases my eye fuckin hard. I really like the color composition and the transiiotn opart is wonderful. Is there a chnace you make them at high rez for print?
  • EarthQuake
    Yeah i would love to see some of these high res dude.