Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

1st character model and first forum post :)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Empty polycounter lvl 18
Hey Ive only been modelling a few months. This is my second attempt at the human form, but ive decided to forget about the first one..because it didnt turn out so good.

torsoWIP4.png
[EDIT]took everyones advice and got rid of those other pics i didnt need.

Still WIP of course. But what do you think so far. Im hoping to be able to have this work in the hl2 engine.

Oh and im using Poopinmymouth's tutorial for help. Awsome job man, I started my first model with your bench vtm.

I think my character's knees are a bit low.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    knees are very low, smoothing is odd, meshflow is really odd around the hips/stomach.... arms are looking good but they need be connected to the torso.... actually it looks like there are in the last pic, there really isnt any reason to post all those pics like that the most recent one will do
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Actually just copied post from a previous post I had made on a different forum. www.hoplitesmod.com

Yeah that torso is kind of bothering me too. I think its mostly the smooth group placement on my part, but i'll take another look at it.

Though in the end I plan on covering it with armor. He'll be dressed as an ancient greek hoplite.
  • ShadowM8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ShadowM8 polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, definitely the rhombus flow of the torso is off, it can be easily fixed if you just run the lines from the pecs down and at the hips run the lines in lower torso right across. You're missing the collar bone as well smile.gif

As for the arms the have weird pinching going on, especially where the bicep and shoulder muscles meet. I think you should connect it to the body now and just tweak the line flow.
    It would be nice to see the flow on the back, and take off smoothign when rendering!

Good work so far, that tutorial is awesome btw, was the first character I’ve done.
    Cheers to Poop.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    It's a good start Matt and welcome to polycount. A little early in the models life for a serious crit I think. Do ya need all the viewport crap in the images?! Kinda makes for some confusing viewing.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    I think the muscle structure in the arm is really good, the rest is coming on very well ... i cant wait to see how the arm and torso is gona join , coz the topology in that area is pretty good for a early model ...
    keep it up , and welcome to polycount smile.gif
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the warm welcome fella's. I wont have time to work on this model til after class, got a big test. But anyways thanks for the crit so far smile.gif
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Chugging along...

character.png
    character2.png

frown.gif No body Crits my stuff frown.gif
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    I think the head may be a bit big, the legs get very narrow near the ankels, the render dosent really show the hands very well, I cant get stuff to render cleanly... other than that... Oh and those are the start of sandals on his feet.

CC please smile.gif
    Would really appriciate it if someone would talk with me one on one some time. Aim-Matt22181 Msn-Matt22181@hotmail.com

character5.png
    character4.png
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good Matt. I actually don't think that the head is too big. If it is it's not by much. Realistic is 6 and a half to 7 heads tall, ideal ( e.g Michaelangelo's David is 8 ). Your arm span might be too long, and your crotch may be too high, but the overall mass of the head about right I think. Generally the entire torso is too narrow perhaps. Keep going!
  • jec1183
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jec1183 polycounter lvl 18
    Hi Matt, I see that you are using the Ben Mathis tutorial. You should probably concentrate on cleaning up the lower torso before you move on. Also do you have any concepts of a side view so you know what proportions you are looking for in the waste area.
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah now that I look at it those arms are long.

The reason I have the crotch so high, and im sure im wrong about this, is because I thought to animate correctly I needed to keep the legs completly apart. Im not really sure if I needed to do that though. I fix that now.

Yeah ive been using his reference pics just modifying them slightly to make the proportions less exaggerated. For the face and hands I took pictures.

Thanks for the feed back wink.gif
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Still tweaking

character7.png
    character6.png
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Temporary Hair... Now its time to give him some clothes.

character9.png
    character8.png
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice work for a first model, what bugs me though, is the extremely sharp concave inlet around the pelvis as seen from the side. To me it looks to be both too deep, and too sharp (same thing, really). Other than that, keep up the good work wink.gif
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the CC, yeah that does need to be fixed.
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    character11.png
    character12.png
    character10.png

getting there. I did fix those hips but you cant really see em anymore
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I think the torso is very well done, you've obviously put a lot of work into this.

however the lower half of the body is seriously neglected by comparison: the shins are too long, theres no hips, no groin, no ass, feet are too long, thighs bulge in the wrong places (like two lop sided drumsticks currently).

you'd do well to complete the lower half properly before rushing on to clothing him
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the CC but im going to have to disagree with you.

Anyways you cant even see any of the changes I made after Asthane's CC.

Sorry to sound so defensive.
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Started on the skin

Burning the midnight oil on this one. First thing ive skinned.
    CharacterSkin1.png
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    lil bit farther in the process
    CharacterSkin2.png

Time for sleep.
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    CharacterSkin6.jpg

Think im almost done...

[edit] Lol actually just noticed this the armors not on straight. No worries though they're two separate pieces so i'll go fix that now.
  • D63
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D63 polycounter lvl 18
    You first character model? I'm well impressed. I like the hands, they look like have they good proportions going on.
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the comment smile.gif

1st character model and first model ive ever textured. I had someone unwrap it for me. Havent quite figured that out.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Looks a bit like he wares a mini skirt laugh.gif

I think that "skirt" has to be lower and look heavier, to look like a roman piece of cloth.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    great work for first character model! but it seems to me when I hold my arm out like that the bicep points up not down? maybe it won't be an issue when his arms are in a normal position. Otherwise, looks cool smile.gif
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    JK- Hehe yeah can see right through his skirt. I may just have to give him some whities.

Rooster- yeah you right aboue the armor ima fix that real quick.

Im really happy with my self on this project. Worked hard on it, now i just need to get an internship.