Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Salty Dog's Fish Shack

Stefanbeekman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Stefanbeekman polycounter lvl 18
Hey all. First post here on polycount! Here is a little shack that I modeled and textured. I gave myself a limit of 1000 polys for the building and props, Came right in at 960 polys. Had it over at cgtalk but didn't get any real crits thought I would release it to the wolves over here since you guys do amazing work. Really looking for some good crits on the texturing since I'm trying to improve myself. Thanks
fish.jpg

Replies

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I like it. Not much to say about small buildings like this, but it's cool IMO. I like the lighting too smile.gif
  • DarthRevanII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthRevanII polycounter lvl 18
    maybe add some slight blood or gunk on the dock part. The owner obviously fishes there, so spilling stuff would be reasonable
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    really nice dude. love the company name and logo design.
    is the casted spot light on the texture?

my onion:
    <ul type="square">[*]i think it would help to add miscelaneous blemishes, wear and babble as a decorative element to give it more textural interest.
    [*]a more realistic water would compliment the entire piece. i'd use the 3d package's procedurals to make it look something like an in-game water shader.
    [*]the "headboard" on the top of the door frame's grain should run horizontally - simple change to the unwrap will fix.
    [*]take a look at the sign's mesh, there is something going on with your smooth groups.
    [*]if those lights are on, those bulbs should be brighter.[/list]
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    what was your texture limit?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    pretty cool, but it looks a little too straight-edged to me. Id expect a wooden shack to have more than a few imperfect angles to it?
  • Stefanbeekman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stefanbeekman polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks everyone for the crits. I'm gonna work on the shack a little more and use your tips to make it better. For the textures I used a 1024 map and 2 512's. Don't know if thats to much for this little shack but it worked out for now. More updates to come soon
  • Lore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lore polycounter lvl 18
    The wood looks to clean and perfect. But I guess that is unavoidable with a repeating texture. But hey it works, I like the feeling your scene is giving off that rustic outdoors look. Here are a few suggestion take or leave them.

Add something inside the shack. Like texture in a one of those river fishing pants that fisherman wear. You don't have to model it but paint it in to one of the window textures will work just as well.

The bucket needs a little few more sides. Make it six-sided instead of four. The four looks okay where you got your camera but the object is a little too big for four sides. The fishing pole looks fine, you could round the handle a little more with a five-side shape.

Since your working with 1000 polycount like you said, you can clean up your faces and triangulate some of your geometry to squeeze out some triangles. If you do this you might free up to almost 100 polygons.

219200501.jpg

If you had more polys to spare I would add more object to authenticate the scene or do some under the dock construction. Walking planks don’t run in to notches on the post. That weakens the post and planks against the current in the water. Run some type of 4x 8 underneath against the wood planks and have them on either side of the post. Kind of like bracketing the post with the 4x 8’s.

The tires and dock post look great for keeping the whole scene under 1000. I like the work you did with making the post look uneven on top to give it the more hand crafted look. The lighting looks great I kind of wished there was some low level fog in the scene. But its looking cool so far.
  • Voodoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Voodoo polycounter lvl 18
    I think a 1024 and two 512's (or 6 512 maps) is a little much for a 960 poly model. You could probably fit everything comfortably on a 1024.