Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modular made building

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JO420 polycounter lvl 18

render4zh.th.jpg

used quick and dirty texture on this,i wanted to try modular modeling for enviroments to get the techniques down,all the pieces go from 2 units to 8 with a couple of 256 maps,i can snap and interchange the pieces to make the building bigger,longer,smaller etc and with a little work i can make it have an interior.

i wanna include some modular constructed enviroments for my portfolio,am i headed in the right direction?

any suggestions?

ideas for a project to do this?(i was thinking a FPS style building with interior and exterior)

and how would i go about this presentation wise? maybe a vid of making something with the pieces i have?

Replies

• CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Even though it's modular, it could definitely stand to have some more modeled detail. You could at least recess the doorway, and probably the set of windows lowest to the ground, assuming that the game camera is at character eye level-ish. You might want to experiment with some vertex lighting, to show off any of these details as they might look in game. All of this would depend completely on the game tpye...for a racing game this would be fine as it is as a background building to zoom past.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    well it wasnt really meant to be a portfolio piece,more like a learning piece to get the technique down. all the things you have mentioned i will be adding in the next one i do.

but thanx for the suggestions.
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Agreed with cheese.

The idea behind practicing modular asset building is to make templates that can be reused.

True, you could resue what you have made, but there is no detail so you arent really 'practicing' the technique, you are sort of side-stepping the problem.

I don't know any good online environmnet portfolios that show off this concept.

Here are some thing you might try:

Make a complicated doorway that can click toegther with 2 or more different types of walls. Interior or exterior, doesnt matter.

Tips
    Make it so that the walls have 'different' polygon styles. My personal check is if my jail cell doesn't look like a jail cell 'without' the texture than I haven't modeled my environmnet well enough.

There isn't much point in making portfolio samples that don't immediatly grab the attention of the viewer. if you make something boring you won't get a respoonse. Either pick something new, or try a proven concept in an new way.

If you need any help let me know, i'd be happy to in any way that I am able.

GL

....and show us the results!

-R
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Cheese and Pak pretty much called it. Now, the blunt truth is, what you've made is nothing (boxes with textures slapped on).
    That aside, modular buildings can be be described with examples, and here are a couple of basic ones I had laying around:

one piece of a tower, modeled and copied to make the whole tower (this is really basic, yet yeilds fantastic results
    http://chrisholden.net/modtower.jpg

various store front pieces, and a tiling building face (windows) above (more like what you might want)
    http://chrisholden.net/store01.jpg

Again, those are basic examples, and I'm always open to chat about these things more thuroughly on MSN or whatever.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well you have the concept down but the modular pieces need work. Try extruding the ledge so it sticks out. Adding window cills and planter boxes inset the windows and doors. Basically whateveryone else said now that I read over it all =) Great idea just need to expand on it a bit. I would try hard to keep the detailed pieces in the boxes you already have so they are still "modular". looks like a great start!