Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Low-poly art WIP

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Omar_Nabiev polycounter lvl 18
Hi guys.
I have some free time and i decided to redo some of my recent work. There are thing to improve on the texture, so it's WIP now. He's for RTS game, 1500 tris.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Wire:
KDV_soldier_solid.jpg
Textured:
tex.jpg
Render:
Soldier_render.jpg

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Oi, ASCII art!
  • Jerome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerome polycounter lvl 18
    awesome, a work of art
  • Omar_Nabiev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2KDR, that was fun, agree :-)
    But i had problems with hosting pictures. i'll setup my personal server soon.
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    I like it alot, but i think the pink and purple should be traded for some low saturated green colors, or even blue might look cool. Pink and purple just...makes him look so unserious. Other then the colors I think its pimpin.
  • DarthRevanII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthRevanII polycounter lvl 18
    1:> it looks better if the armor is "droopy" as it is in the concept. It gives him more character IMHO...the basicalyl square pec armor and all, and the almost straight stomach armor is just boring...do what you did in the concept!

2:> the knees are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too low, your thighs are huge, and your calfs are tiny as hell, fix that laugh.gif

3:> ok this i think is the biggest complaint (in preference) with the model i have. In the concept, the shadow of the helmet made it looks like they are wearing shades (which i thought they were) and now i realize thats not true. I think they look better if they had shades in the shape of the shadow, becuase your soldier looks too friendly ATM. If you take view away from his eyes, he looks more militaristic (is that even a word?)

4:> Can i have a render of him with his arms at his sides? or at least at a 45º angle? I cant really tell if his arms look correct. In the concept his shoulders are dropped and relaxed, and yours arnt. It takes A LOT of character out of him if his shoulders are dropped...he just looks so much more badass that way. I also cant tell if the shoulders, bicept, and forearm are at the right "buff" level. It's also hard to tell if his arms are in close enough to his body. I also believe his hands arent bit enough

besides all that, its a great model, and awesome skin. very simple, yet original idea laugh.gif
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    All that face detail is a waste for RTS. All of your polygons should be focused on creating a smooth shapes and recognizable profile based on teh RTS camera.

Shoulder straps have too many horizontal lines, causing the dithering error you see in your renders. Again, it's detail dropping this close imagine the RTS camera, what you'll have there is a muddy blur.

What happened to his helmet? Even in the distant profile in the left background of the concept it has all that shape and detail. You have translated that to a sphere with a hole for the face cut out.

The character strays way too far from the concept. I honestly think it should be remodeled, and posed with weapon like the concept to show you're serious about the art test. As far as a "for fun' model, it's pretty nice.
  • Jeff Gran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Gran polycounter lvl 18
    I agree that the model strays too far from the concept. The face got wider, the armor and helmet changed shape, etc. Also the eyes don't look like they're correct. make sure the face is 5 eyes wide, with one eye length on either side and in between. It looks OK, but not as badass as the concept.
  • Omar_Nabiev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks to all for your suggestions. That was what i wanted to hear, will fix them soon.
    Btw, they gave me just that one sketch, and it's hard to orient on it..
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    The head shape is slightly off - it tapers too much towards the bottom. This is most evident in the 3/4 view.

If you look at this image, you will see the human head is much more square.

TN_complete024.JPG
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good!
    You seem to have gone for a more realistic but I like the comic look and proportions of the concept drawing.

Rick, is that pic from your San Andreas reference collection? smile.gif
  • Enix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Enix polycounter lvl 18
    Nah, i think thats from the 3dsk place.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    The concept's got a real 'rogue trooper' look about it, which the model doesn't capture yet. His head is a lot more square overall, and it looks like his nose is almost just a vertical drop from his brows, wheras you've 'corrected' it. His jaw is a lot wider in front also, with a big wide gob for that super frown. The helmet he has is almost 'current issue Kevlar' with an aliens twist. With the above crits, and with dropping the shoulders a lot the body's OK.