Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Current WIPs. C&C appreciated.

KevinCoyle
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
KevinCoyle polycounter lvl 18
I'm currently working on several projects at once and would like to get some feedback on them.

WIP Page

I realize there's alot of stuff here. So feel free to only comment on what interests you or what stands out. I'm not expecting comments on everything here from everyone who posts.

Replies

• TorQue[MoD]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    The models look good, but you really need to work on adding a lot more detail to the skins to make them look more realistic. Right now the skins just look like they're flat colors. Some good skins would really make your models look awesome, but its definitely a compliment to your modeling ability that they still look good with plain skins.

And that level/environment you're building looks great. Very well detailed. I don't know why you say it needs more details.

Keep up the good work!
  • KevinCoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback. The skins are still WIP as is everything on that page, and I definatly plan to add more details to the skins, some areas are just flat colors at the moment.

As for the environment I meant that the details were unfinished on many of the parts. There are also a couple of temp filler objects without any detail.
  • Omar_Nabiev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Omar_Nabiev polycounter lvl 18
    i like your high-poly models. Keep it up.
  • KevinCoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A few updates on Lugor and the environment stuff
    WIP page
  • KevinCoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm about to call him finished, but wanted to get some last feedback on it before wrapping it up. Overall I'm reasonably happy with how it turned out. I think the worst part was my method of UV mapping, made certain areas very difficult to get rid of seams and distortion. A definate area to work on on my next project. Let me know what you think.

LugorRender16B.jpg
    LugorRender16A.jpg
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    I like this dude!
    Great model and skin. His face looks really good.
    Before you call him finished I would change the shade around his stomach muscles a tiny bit. There are some really hard lines around and between the 4 muscle squares which don't seem right. I think that softening those lines or making them less dark will do the trick.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Cool Kevin. He looks pretty good. I was just gonna say, I absolutely agree with Ikraan here. ABDOMINALS are way more complex and less regular in structure than you have here. Also, aren't his arms a little short? When by his sides, the tips of the fingers should be almost half way down his thighs.
  • Echelon-IV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Echelon-IV polycounter lvl 18
  • KevinCoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

Daz - Yeah, I think the arms are a bit short. I built him to fit the unreal skeleton (following image) but looking at it now it looks as though I can make them longer and it would actually fit better. The fingertips should probably extend a bit past the bone of the skeleton.

LugorSkel.jpg

I'll see what I can do about those abs on the skin as well.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    His overall color seems a bit cartoony. Try to get more of the colors to carry over from one area to the other. Right now they are very cut and dry color wise.

His arms could really stand to have a bit more dynamic flow to them, as right now they look a bit tubey.

I think his boots are a bit too yellow, and the straps going around it are a bit too bevel and emboss looking.
  • KevinCoyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've made some adjustments. First off, I fixed the abs, which look much more natural now. I also enlarged the hands are made the arms slightly longer. I altered the colors a bit. Added some red to the boots, and a little bit of yellow to the belt to blend the colors a bit. Lastly I reduced the highlight a bit on the upper edge of the boot straps in an attempt to make the less "bevel and emboss" looking. Here is the final render.

LugorRender17.jpg

I also got him in game.

LugorIngame1.jpgLugorIngame2.jpgLugorIngame3.jpg

I appreciate everyone's feedback. It really helped the model come together better then it would have. My next character will be his brother Krueg, which I will start a thread on once I get something solid going.
  • sniz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sniz polycounter lvl 18
    Im really digging the High Tech Lab. Is it your own concept? The Scanner/Analyzer is SOOO clean! Very believable.

Is the environment for game production? If so, the only thing that throws me off a bit is the high resolution of the vertical cylindars in the back.
    Mad props if you decide to texture this env as well.

-sniz