Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

yet more WoW style Orc heads...

StrangeFate
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
I just happen to be working on a female Orc WoW style because they look so cute ingame (and have a sexy dance).

The rendered version is a bit outdated, the face, mainly around the eyes and nose was tweaked a bit since then...
Doing it in Modo

orcshe2.jpg

orcshe3.jpg

Replies

• Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Really nice tho the lower lip has too sharp edge and ears could be thicker and insides less sharp.
  • JBoskma
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JBoskma polycounter lvl 18
    Ah mario, she looks a lot more orcish now with those teeth smile.gif Very nice man. Are you going to do the hair with a hair plugin? If yes, which, cause I'm still looking for a solid one for max 7.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey, i'm doing her in modo and rendering in LW. Not sure about the hair yet but whatever i do it probably wont work for Max.
    So far i've been playing around with 2 point polys extruded a long a path which is not perfect but doesn't require any plugins. LW has sasquatch light, will have to look into that maybe.

The sharp lower lip is in the list of things to be fixed.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Coming along nicely indeed StrangeFate. I cant help but think she could look more evil somehow. In the eyeshape perhaps? How you finding modo btw?
  • DH_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DH_ polycounter lvl 18
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    oh noes!! more proof that warcraft raped the orc race. all orc's are male. they reproduce via spores.

but anyway. it looks really cool laugh.gif i see a couple of heptagons but...i guess you already know that too.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good !! Don't you find high poly ears to be the hardest part of the head ???
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    if it wasn't for the teeth, i'd think she was an elf
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz - Yeah, i'll have to play with the eyes probably. I'm having a hard time getting myself to make her look evil. Been playing too much WoW i guess. My lvl56 hunter babe is just too gorgeous tongue.gif
    http://www.strangefate.com/webby/orcshe-ref.jpg

Modo's great, you should go to luxology's site and give the new vids a look ( http://www.luxology.com/modo/102/ ) tongue.gif
    The Orc head itself was based on the rather boring female head from my medieval chick. I used 1 tool 90% of the time to change the female head into the Orc head in almost no time. The sculp tool works Zbrush-ish. You can 'paint' and shove the geometry around with defined strength, radius and modes (multiply etc). Instead of having a messy and incontrollable mesh as in Zbrush you keep a clean SubD one in modo.
    orcshe-vs.jpg
    http://www.strangefate.com/webby/orcshe-modo2.jpg

The body is the skinny one from the medieval chick too, just had to beef it up. You can make a lowpoly cage around it. Deforming the lowpoly will then softly deform the hipoly too, no need to ever touch the lowpoly. Very helpfull to easily modify complex geometry.
    http://www.strangefate.com/webby/orcshe-modo.jpg

Haven't gotten around to do any hipoly mechanical stuff yet but it's supposed to have nice stuff there too. Really liking it so far.

Almighty_gir - So they have no sexual organs at all ? I like the tribal roots type (WoWish) of orc better. You can tell Blizzard inspired all the races on existing cultures. Tauren are clearly Indians (the native american kind), trolls are voodooing-jamaicans, and Orcs seem to have an african thing going on. Elfs are based on Michael Jackson and humans on Saturday night fever 70's look. Undead are heavy metal/rocker freaks.
    I like the idea of making the races more believable, rather than just engineered brutes.

Nothing wrong with using Ngons, they're there to be used. The original base head mesh was my first hipoly mesh ever so it inherited some rather not great geometry.

Pogonip - hmm i guess so. I guess the trick is just to do things without really caring about it. In the end, it will come out good if you worry less about it.
    And i didn't have to redo the ears, just stretched the original ones within 2 mins smile.gif

Marine - I'd do an african looking nightelf... or the Orc even. Did i say female Orcs have a sexy dance ingame ?
    Green's the new tan.
  • Mit Gas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mit Gas polycounter lvl 18
    wow, angelina jolie!
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    wow, angelina jolie!

[/ QUOTE ]

Have a look on CGTalk, alost every second model is based on her confused.gif

But it is looking good so far... interesting to see the changes you made to make it look like an ork... but maybe you still have to go further, to make her look less human (but this will probably destroy the 'cute' look).

Oh and I would suggest modeling her not looking down, even when your reference picture is like that (turn it).
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated renders yesterday...

I must say, using Angelina J. as reference to model the original face was the worst thing i could have done. She has an incredibly standard/average/uninteresting face. She's cute and all that but the face doesn't say much for itself.

I'll keep the 'human' look, it goes with the WoW orc style and i like the idea of her looking kinda african/tribal. I can still make a horrible troll when i'm done with her.

I find it easier to model things in a natural position, if i modeled the head facing perfectly straight i'd probably screw up the throat or neck at some point. Don't see any disadvantages in modeling so, matter of personal preference i guess.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

I find it easier to model things in a natural position, if i modeled the head facing perfectly straight i'd probably screw up the throat or neck at some point. Don't see any disadvantages in modeling so, matter of personal preference i guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know what is more natural about having the face looking down, but there are several 'not a matter of personal preference' reasons why you should model with a face looking strait forward.
    Mostly because that way you will not have a 'too short' looking face in the front view (excpecially bad when working on an orthogonal X/Y front view)... and also all sorts of other smaller errors that can appear when shaping a feature in the front view.
    Last but not least, if the eyes are looking up (because the face is looking down), the upperlit is in a very 'squished' state (even more so than with a normal open eye), which certainly doesn't help either.
    I hope that made sense wink.gif
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dunno, i dont walk around with my face in a perfect 90 degree angle, but then, i like to pretend i'm evil.
    I still see it as personal preference. If someone has problems riding a bike, he obviously shouldn't. I dont have problems modeling that way as most modeling is made in the big 3d window.

The wireframes screenshot in the first post is pretty much my viewport setup, i only use front/side as optical reference and model in the 3d port, where i'm free from any misleading distortion a flat view might bring.
    I understand what you're saying but squished faces and any related problems are bound to the 2D viewports and shouldn't happen if you think about what you're doing, rather than just trace a face image.
    You should be able to model free from any of those problems. In a program like ZBrush, you wouldn't even have 2d viewports as help, with your 3D perception being all you have. In other words, modeling in a 3d viewport lets you do whatever you want to do in any pose or angle you want to.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
    Needs bigger buldge where her tusks attatck to the jaw in my opinion.
  • frosty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frosty polycounter lvl 18
    Wow have not seen you around for a while. Nice work as always.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm update, still all WIP and lots left to add.

The skull was done pretty quick with modo's sculpting tool (Zbrush-like)
  • usagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    wow, i really wasnt a fan of the head by itself (it was good, just didnt grab my attention) but it looks great with the body. i like the costume too
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, the head needs a touch more detail, maybe some sharper cheek bones or a sturdier jaw. I was actually disappointed when Blizzard decided to make obvious female representations of the various races. Some, like the Tauren, could have expressed femininity in ways other then the obvious.
  • SjetvsKerrigan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SjetvsKerrigan polycounter lvl 18
    She's pretty scrawny for an Orc woman. Orc women remind me of those tennis-playing sisters.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I was looking at the head and thinking; she needs some eyelashes.

that body is amazing work, lovely.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    updates...
    sheorc1e.jpg

and a little swamp scene i started to put her in
    sheorcswamptree2.jpg
  • El_PIG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    El_PIG polycounter lvl 18
    NICE! I wasn't too up on the Orc being so human like besides the head and skin tone but the costume really pulls it together. It looks very similar to the Blizzard Cinematic costume designs. The lack of oversized tits is also see for a change.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ono posted a link to this on the Modo forums the other day, looking great man.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I love it. nice outfit.
  • Vince
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vince polycounter lvl 18
    looking awsome
  • IceWolve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IceWolve polycounter lvl 18
    That is just plain awesome StrangeFate. I realy love the detail you are putting into this and the scene. I cant wait to see it all put together and textured.
  • Todd Dinosaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Todd Dinosaur polycounter lvl 18
    Are the feathers made in 3D? the wrist looks a little unsculped when compared with everything else. You can't see the wrist bone.

best wrist ref I could find
    http://www.biodrogausa.com/products/spa_sensation/fitness-wrap/model.jpg

http://www.leanladies.com/corinthagiangrande/pictures.htm
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the feathers are completely modeled yes

hmm you can see the wrist bone, it's either the angle of the lighting in the shots. I'll see if i can play with it tho.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    very nice smile.gif The clothing and accessories really work well to bring this piece together.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some update on her staff, still lots to go

sheorc-staff.jpg
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    That staff is amazing. I love the work you do with skulls.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    Wow. Awesome stuff, SF.
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    dang .. I really like the strips and straps.. they really look like they are on that thing. Is that just hand placed? Or some kind of baked physics geometery.. thingIdontknowwhat imtalkingabout...
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool smile.gif

They're hand placed. Modo has backround constrain. I can put the skull and staff in the backround layer and whatever i model and move in the working layer, will snap to the surface of the staff, without letting me clip through it.
  • Weiser_Cain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Weiser_Cain polycounter lvl 18
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Fucking hell stragefate, thats awesome.

always an inspiration.

the orc chicks head seems a little... strange, its like she has a really flat forehead, and shows that off near the sides of the head (where it starts to head back to the side of the skull. The curve there just seems too harsh, and could be more gradual to accent the soft green features in the rest of the face. It almost looks like her actual brow is too high, that may be 'orcish' but it seems unnatural and goofy (despite the fact that its a green woman...) wink.gif
  • flachdrache
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flachdrache polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Fucking hell stragefate, thats awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmmmmmmm - green and cute grin.gif .
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    Wow.....! just wow. great. amazing fantastic, holy dammit christmas!. Its fantastic! /cheer!
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks all

Moose, i see what you mean. The eyebrow area stands out, a bit monkey style, which makes the lower half of the forehead rather plain. It's still rounded but as much as you are used to on humans.
    The only solution i see for that would be to soften the eyebrow area which would then probably make her look more human, and less Orc.

http://www.strangefate.com/webby/sheorc-headwires.jpg
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    Nice work Fate, I'm really loving the strappage in generel though I think Moose is on the money with the head crits, she looks a bit too stretched in the wrong places.

I reckoned she's gonna be something special when shes finished with..
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll keep an eye on that, made me paranoid enough.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Think the staff is done, for now anyway.
    sheorc-staff2.jpg
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    This is defintely some cool stuff. We haven't been seeing many female orc models around, in fact i don't recall any. The lower lips are questionable, i think they'd look more orcish if you pulled them out a bit to signify that lower jaw look that comes with orcs. Then again, that would compromise with the feminine aspect of your model.

The body of the staff looks blocky, other than that, i'm really looking forward to this model posed.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gave her a small axe and started playing around with materials.

sheorc-axe.jpg
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    The body of the staff looks blocky

[/ QUOTE ]
    It's all SubD, i sometimes keep the SubD level pretty low to work and render faster, but i can just press the + key and it will smooth everything by another level... it will just feel like modeling a cube in a C64 :/

She's pretty much done now, gave her some feet and sandals. I've been waiting for the next modo update that's supposed to have hair, but i might just go for the good old polygons strands and alpha hair.
    sheorc1i.jpg

and a close up on some feathers, lowest SubD level again so the rest looks blocky in the render.
    sheorcfeathers.jpg
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    looks fantastic, I woulda made the skull bigger (wider more partcularly) since at this current stage it looks to be more fashion than any real use as a pauldron.
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It is a fashion thing, she's more the mystic kind. It was bigger first but it did look too much like a shoulder armor piece.
    The axe is pretty small too, more the tool and self defense kind, for when you go take a pee in the woods and this bear jumps you out of nowhere.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Mario are you mostly using Modo for her? (She's beautiful by the way!)

If so, I'm gonna look in to trying it out. Really inspirational...
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's all 100% modo yep